“New Experience, Good Flavors”
Review of Bati

Bati
Reserve with OpenTable
Bati is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,472 of 5,604 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: S. Portland Ave.
Transit: C to Lafayette Ave G to Fulton Street 2 3 4 5 N R Q D B to Atlantic Ave
Reviewed 7 May 2017

Went here with my son and we ordered 1 of each the vegan combination and meat combination meals. Never having Ethiopian food before, I wasn't sure what to expect. It came out on one large platter. Each dish was ladled on a large flat bread. I thought the meat dishes (sorry don't have the names) were rich and flavorful. Some with a mild heat. The vegan dishes had less flavor but were enjoyable. We did feel that the portions were quite small with only a couple of small bits of meat per dish. My son shared he enjoyed the meat dishes but that there is another vegan-only Ethiopian restaurant in Brooklyn he prefers more.

Reviewed 5 March 2017

We decided to try Bati because of its proximity to Brooklyn Academy of Music and its reviews. Having been to several other Ethiopian restaurants in the city we were excited to try a new one. The room is small but pleasant but we were there on a rather cold night and since there is no vestibule, the dining room was cold and drafty. Several people were wearing their coats because of the low temperature. Service was adequate and prices in line with other similar restaurants but the food quality was not very good. Portions were small and for the most part all of the dishes were quite bland. We are used to the unique blend of spices found in Ethiopian cuisine, it is bold and a bit spicy. Here it was rather flat tasting. The only dish with any flavor was the Key Sir, consisting of cubed beets and potatoes in a marinade of lemon, onion and jalapeño peppers. You could taste the jalapeños but not much else. All of the other six dishes we tried were bland and uninteresting. I wish I could give Bati a better review but they fall short compared to other Ethiopian restaurants that you can find in New York.

1  Thank Robert T
Reviewed 30 August 2016 via mobile

This is our favorite Ethiopian restaurant in New York. The food is delicious, spiced just right with the Ethiopian condiments that give this cuisine its distinctive flavor. Our favorite plate is the very generous vegetarian platter. It is like a a North African "mezza," an assortment of savory bean dishes, pureed or stewed in berebere spices. Imagine a Lebanese hummus or babaganoush made with Ethiopian ingredients, accompanied with small tastings of collards, cabbage, and beet selections. All of this is served on fermented Ethiopian flat bread. There are also side servings of the bread. The service is friendly and attentive. The restaurant is a short walk up from BAM in the Fort Greene neighborhood. I usually enjoy my meal with a cold Ethiopian beer. The food is mildly spicy but not overly hot. Highly recommended if you like international foods.

Reviewed 26 May 2016

My daughter and I went to this restaurant on a Thursday night and the place was buzzing. We had the vegetarian combination platter which was delicious. I am a vegan and my daughter is a vegetarian and there was plenty of choice. I am from the UK visiting my daughter. It is the second time I have been here and will definitely return.

Reviewed 24 April 2016 via mobile

Amazing server so accommodating
Met all our special needs the food was
Just out of the world must check this place out combination platters are must