“Minus one star because restaurant is like a walk-in fridge”
Review of Bati

Bati
Reserve with OpenTable
Bati is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,472 of 5,604 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: S. Portland Ave.
Transit: C to Lafayette Ave G to Fulton Street 2 3 4 5 N R Q D B to Atlantic Ave
Reviewed 26 December 2017

We like Ethiopian cuisine because it is vegetarian friendly and I don't have to worry about my food allergies. I suspect the food is good here, but the restaurant was so cold during our visit that it quickly felt like someone had taken our plates out of a refrigerator and straight to the table. We were physically uncomfortable by the time we left. We may return again when the weather is warmer. Not recommended during winter -- and it wasn't even that cold relatively speaking for New York.

Tables are pretty close together (a little too close proximity to my liking). Service was average.

Reviewed 10 November 2017

I should point out at the outset that my exposure to Ethiopian cuisine prior to this outing was nonexistent, but I was attracted to the menu descriptions and ingredients, along with the welcoming atmosphere of this establishment.

The flavours of the chicken and meat dishes underwhelmed in terms of intensity - misguided expectations perhaps, but my lack of comparatives could not excuse the sparse quantities of meat offered - a few discernible beef cubes and a solitary drumstick in the house specialty chicken dish at $19 (not a king's ransom in this neck of the woods, but usually enough to merit a "full meal").

I Somehow feel that perhaps I missed out on something, but I certainly left Bati disappointed

Reviewed 7 May 2017

Went here with my son and we ordered 1 of each the vegan combination and meat combination meals. Never having Ethiopian food before, I wasn't sure what to expect. It came out on one large platter. Each dish was ladled on a large flat bread. I thought the meat dishes (sorry don't have the names) were rich and flavorful. Some with a mild heat. The vegan dishes had less flavor but were enjoyable. We did feel that the portions were quite small with only a couple of small bits of meat per dish. My son shared he enjoyed the meat dishes but that there is another vegan-only Ethiopian restaurant in Brooklyn he prefers more.

Reviewed 5 March 2017

We decided to try Bati because of its proximity to Brooklyn Academy of Music and its reviews. Having been to several other Ethiopian restaurants in the city we were excited to try a new one. The room is small but pleasant but we were there on a rather cold night and since there is no vestibule, the dining room was cold and drafty. Several people were wearing their coats because of the low temperature. Service was adequate and prices in line with other similar restaurants but the food quality was not very good. Portions were small and for the most part all of the dishes were quite bland. We are used to the unique blend of spices found in Ethiopian cuisine, it is bold and a bit spicy. Here it was rather flat tasting. The only dish with any flavor was the Key Sir, consisting of cubed beets and potatoes in a marinade of lemon, onion and jalapeño peppers. You could taste the jalapeños but not much else. All of the other six dishes we tried were bland and uninteresting. I wish I could give Bati a better review but they fall short compared to other Ethiopian restaurants that you can find in New York.

1  Thank Robert T
Reviewed 30 August 2016 via mobile

This is our favorite Ethiopian restaurant in New York. The food is delicious, spiced just right with the Ethiopian condiments that give this cuisine its distinctive flavor. Our favorite plate is the very generous vegetarian platter. It is like a a North African "mezza," an assortment of savory bean dishes, pureed or stewed in berebere spices. Imagine a Lebanese hummus or babaganoush made with Ethiopian ingredients, accompanied with small tastings of collards, cabbage, and beet selections. All of this is served on fermented Ethiopian flat bread. There are also side servings of the bread. The service is friendly and attentive. The restaurant is a short walk up from BAM in the Fort Greene neighborhood. I usually enjoy my meal with a cold Ethiopian beer. The food is mildly spicy but not overly hot. Highly recommended if you like international foods.