“Really Fun Ice Cream”

Sky Ice
Ranked #2,400 of 5,534 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 27 May 2015

I went for lunch because it was around the corner from where I stayed in Brooklyn. I ordered the Thai veggies but the curry was out of this world good! The mushroom dumplings were nice, the service was fast. I liked the non-fussy paper plates. The ice cream flavors were very fun, I was looking forward to the avocado. Although, it had cayenne in it which didn't do anything for the ice cream except make my mouth tickle. It was a nice fast lunch. Get the curry for sure.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

Stopped in this little restaurant and ice cream place on a whim. Loved their Mango ice cream and sorbet -- both are worth a try! Also had some interesting other flavors. Did not try the food. $3.25 for a single scoop, +50 cents for a cone. A little on the pricey side.

1  Thank EvanMJC
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This is a truly authentic Northern Thai restaurant, with amazing fresh made ice cream. Want to try Durian without the stinky mess of the fruit? Try the ice cream instead! The food is great, mostly vegetarian, and made with fresh local ingredients. For the home chef, they sell a small selection of thai groceries to help you make your meal more authentic at home. The owners and staff are wonderful, friendly, and sweet people. A year round favorite!

1  Thank ChewiesDad
Reviewed 24 November 2012

My husband and I were craving Thai food and decided to try this place out. I am so glad we came here! We took a trip to Thailand over a year ago, and this is honestly the best thai food we have had since then. I got the Pad See Yue and he got Northern Thai Curry Noodle. So good and flavorful! His was very spicy, so if very spicy is too much for you ask them not to make it as hot. We also got ice cream- Caramel Sea Salt and I got the Black Sesame seaweed. Seriously both so good! The atmosphere is very chill, the workers were great and had huge smiles on their faces and we left with our bellies full. I'll definitely be coming back here and telling my friends about it, too!

2  Thank oldseptblues
Reviewed 11 August 2012

The place we saw on tv came to NYC?!! 2 hour wait?? Sure! Free beer while waiting inside the tiny entryway? Very nice!
Low prices, big portions, super fast service (once you finally get seated) and a percentage of each meal goes to charity? 5 stars!

As for the food... different stars for each dish.
The pickled vegetables- small bowl at $4 - not too spicy and very good pickled flavor with a super tasty dressing. 4 stars
Salted cod fried rice- this was the tastiest fried rice I've ever had, although I don't eat it often. 4-5 stars for great flavor and the texture/consistency of the rice was actually fluffy...Really different... Only problem it was super salty. (should have assumed that...salted cod..duh). This however, was not spicy.

Now I am not sure what made my boyfriend order the thrice cooked bacon, but he did. And whoa- this was the weirdest/spiciest/saltiest dish I have ever tasted. It left some weird tingling/numbing sensation in our mouths...really like nothing ever experienced before. It was bizarre. A combo of the spices and the way-too-salty thick bacon - not quite sure what numbed my tongue for 15 minutes. The rice saved us once it came out.
Turns out the peppercorns they use cause a tingling, numbing sensation. (If you google it, the type of peppercorns actually cause a neurological distortion!). The most bizarre meal experience ever, and really I thought the dish was quite awful.

Menu items sure are unique. I guess I'm not as adventurous as I thought.
Mapo Tofu bowl next to us looked awesome, but our neighbors said it was way too spicy to finish. Unfortunately, dishes that are too spicy for the average diner to finish is probably the norm here.

Probably the loudest, most tightly packed restaurant I have ever been in.
Wouldn't return for that ambience, only for take out. Maybe in a year when the place cools off. I do think this chef knows FLAVOR and I would return for take out of another couple of his dishes. After all, strong flavor is my favorite thing. Just can't deal with the overly salty (MSG maybe?) puffy hangover the next day.