1,264 results
All reviews grand central station mr singh shuttle service checker cab vernon jackson new york loft suite full kitchen mile radius manhattan avenue free car service green point sofa bed the east river ferry times square laundry room high ceilings
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

Miss Sarah was the best.She went above and beyond to make our stay perfect.The hotel is fantastic.Sarah is polite young lady who is awesome.The hotel is clean and quiet.I will stay here again 5 star..

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dillon D
Reviewed 11 August 2018

Very hip hotel..though the pictures on line led me to believe my room would be almost a trendy little art studio, when in actuality it was just little. The neighborhood is sketchy, for sure, though within walking distance to some nice eateries on Manhattan Ave. The best thing Box House has going for it is its restaurant- I had the avocado toast once for breakfast and the hummus plate for dinner, and both were delicious.

Date of stay: July 2018
1  Thank Lisa H
Reviewed 8 August 2018

The Box House Hotel is certainly one of the best decorated hotels I've stayed. From the front entrance, entering the lobby, the impression was set that the hotel will certainly raise the standard of interior decor. Unfortunately, that was leading quality of the hotel. Walls are thin in each room, so neighbors can be heard throughout the night and into the day. That would explain the "noise" agreement that is signed upon check-in. Be sure to bring your own toiletry amenities (Q-tips, cotton balls, etc), something I expected from a boutique hotel. No full-length mirror in my standard room. And no USB charging ports. There is a gym located on the first floor, but the windows are wide open for all incoming and outgoing guests to view you working out.
Decor: 5/5
Bed: 5/5
Water pressure: 3/5
Noise: 3/5
Although I was extremely impressed with the interior decorating, staying in a hotel straight from a magazine, I was disappointed by the smaller details. Overall a great stay.

Date of stay: August 2018
1  Thank 193helenv
Reviewed 7 August 2018

Fantastic hotel. Will certainly be staying again.

Had to complain about the noise from our neighbours but this was swiftly dealt with so not going to deduct points for that.

Staff are very friendly and helpful.

Date of stay: April 2018
1  Thank Tris G
Reviewed 6 August 2018

We had two rooms at this property during a weeklong stay (7/20/18-7/26/18) -- my parents in one (#212), my fiance and I in the other (#329).

PROS:

- Our basic Superior room was surprisingly larger than expected by NYC standards. My parents' upgraded room with a balcony was even more spacious. Decor was unique and gave it more of a "homey" vibe than that of a hotel.

- Felix from the hotel's free local shuttle service was AMAZING. He was friendly, courteous, and super helpful when we were fortunate enough to have him as a driver the couple times we used the service. He gave us excellent recommendations for things to do/see/eat in Brooklyn, as well as "insider" tips to see Manhattan in more unique ways (e.g. via the NYC Ferry and Staten Island Ferry). He was definitely a highlight, and I hope the Box House values him as he should be -- other employees there could stand to learn a lot from him, especially in the hospitality world. THANK YOU, Felix!

- If you choose to walk from the hotel to/from the L train station via the Polanski Bridge (which we did almost daily), you get an awesome view of the Manhattan Skyline. This walk looks like it might be shady on Google Maps (which was our initial concern), but it totally isn't. There is a really nice, well-lit walkway especially made for pedestrians and bikers.

- Check-in/Check-out was easy, and storage of our luggage after check-out (but before our trip to the airport) was a breeze.

CONS:

- Service from the Front Desk staff (just about every one we encountered) left more to be desired. The main entrance is just steps from the Front Desk. We were never once greeted with a hello/goodbye/smile/nod of acknowledgement the entire trip, even at times when the lobby was empty, and the staff were just standing there staring at the front door.

- The day after checking in, we realized Wi-Fi in my parents' room was not working at all. I tested it on numerous devices without success, and determined the Wi-Fi signal worked near the elevator on their floor, but cut out as soon as you stepped into their room. I told the front desk, and the gentleman (wish I remembered his name) told me to restart my devices, then told me that it doesn't make any sense, since nobody else has complained. After some more back and forth, he said there was nothing else he could do but leave a note for Maintenance to investigate the next day (if I wanted), so I asked him to. We were gone the entire next day, and again came back to no Wi-Fi and no follow-up. I talked to the front desk again, and we came to the same "resolution". The next day, history repeated itself. My parents stayed in that room without Wi-Fi for the entire week. We made do since we were mostly out and about, and when we did need Wi-Fi, I was able to use it from my room, where it worked seamlessly.

- I didn't use room service in my room, but my parents did in theirs -- they seemed to do a good job cleaning, but water bottles were never provided after the initial 2 upon check-in...strange.

- On Saturday 7/21, when I got back to our room (329) at 10pm, there was super loud music coming from somewhere -- either outside in an adjacent building, or perhaps the rooftop bar above. It wasn't just the volume though--you could feel the percussion of the bass through your body, and I could hear all the lyrics to the songs (Remix to Ignition was one of them :)). I ignored it thinking it would eventually stop. By the time I was finally ready for bed, I noticed the music did not stop until 12am on the dot. It didn't happen to really bother me during this stay, but I could see where that easily could have bothered any guest.

-The complaints regarding the wall-mounted split-ac systems are all accurate -- they are SUPER loud, and seemed to have a mind of their own, even when the setpoints shouldn't allow operation. Even with ear plugs in, that thing kept me up as it came on and off during the night. I was forced to supercool the room before bed, then just shut the system off completely.

-The ceiling fan in my room was loud and squeaky on low speed, and was clearly not stable at high speed.

-There isn't much to do within walking distance of the hotel, (in comparison to areas like Williamsburg, or in Manhattan), but we knew this going in, and was a compromise we knowingly made.

All in all, we had a mediocre experience and didn't have strong feelings either way. For future trips to NYC, I will likely look to other options before I consider The Box House again.

Room tip: Hopefully they've since fixed the Wi-Fi in Room#212!
Date of stay: July 2018