“Beautiful and quiet; everything you are looking for.”
Review of Elkmont Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Elkmont Campground
Reviewed 9 August 2017

I needed a nice place to take the family away from the daily hustle and bustle of life, and this was exactly it. Every site has a picnic table, fire pit, and fire grate to cook on. My camp site was very spacious, as they all seemed to be. I never heard anyone being loud and never had to deal with the sound of generators. There are certain loops where generators are not allowed, if that is something you are looking for. Tent pads are gravel, so you don't need to worry about water buildup if it rains. There is no electricity at the sites (except a few for those that require it for medical equipment). This campground is surrounded by old growth forest; picture perfect.
There are flush- toilets, and the restrooms were cleaned everyday. Very impressed with the restroom cleanliness. No showers are available, although you can go into town and use showers at various facilities for little cost.
The Little River (like a really large stream) runs through the place, and the kids loved playing in it. If you are there on a hot day, it's a great place to cool off... the water was quite cold, actually, and this was in August. Although we didn't, there are great places to go fishing in the river, too. Fishing requires a Tennessee or North Carolina fishing license.
A small shop is on site where you can purchase firewood $6 , ice $2.50/ 10lbs bag (which you would be better served getting at the Food City in Gatlinburg, if you go back into town), a few snacks, and many standard camping supplies for a decent price, but small markup. Staff was helpful, knowledgeable, and respectful.
In short, skip the KOA (which is more expensive and in the middle of town) and stay at Elkmont in an actual forest. I will be returning here; hopefully many times.

Room Tip: Riverside sites go quickly, so reserve them early if you want them.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 31 July 2017

this was a very well kept park. well worth the trip from new York. nice quiet week of camping, camping spots were not that close together that you felt crowded. a nice cold river near the center of the campground was refreshing after walking all over the place. the campground is a great spot to stay if your going to be hiking around the smokey mountains. close enough to Gatlinburg and pigeon forge so you can walk the town and see the other attractions. and about 19 miles away from cades cove which is a very nice place to bicycle or drive through... the only complaint that I would have is that they have places to use the bathroom and a place to wash your cooking gear but no showers. before I left to go camping I contacted the park via email about lack of showers and asked if we could use portable showers I was told no there not allowed. when I got there I see several campers using them and asked a park ranger about that and he told we could use them as long a you collect the gray water.. so if you do goto elkmont don't forget a portable showing and a collection bin...

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank mlhendrickson
Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

Lovely campground. We'd never been to a National Park before this road trip and we're quite impressed with this campground. We had site B18, which was by a creek, not the river, and was awesome. Soap and hand dryers in the bathrooms would have made it perfect. Sugarlands visitor center Rangers were helpful. Be sure to check with them for guided tours going on. Hiked to Laural Falls and Clingman's Dome. Unbelievable views that too my breath away.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

B2-4 are amazing sites on a point right next to the water. Our campsites was about 200 yards where we parked our car. It was considered a walk in campsite. I make site specific reservations for that particular site due to reviews. Bring tubes to float down the river and water shoes. There is a shuttle to take people to town for $2. The Camp host were very helpful and friendly. We cannot wait to go again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Most people probably already know this but having never been on Twitter or other social media, this was new to me. If you are going to the GSMNP check road conditions on Twitter. We had some severe storms come through the week before our camping trip and a friend had heard some of the roads were closed. I found that they update Twitter with the latest and was able to verify the roads had just opened the day before I headed up there. They also have a phone recording but Twitter got got updated first, or at least this time it did.

OK, on with the review...Stayed 5 nights at Elkmont during the 2017 firefly extravaganza. Campground is fairly flat for bike riders and walkers and the Little River is a great place to cool off or easy tubing. There are a few trails accessible from the campground for hikers. I knew I would be needing some replacement ice for the coolers and had made a note the camp store had ice which was fairly decently priced all things considered. I was glad to see that was still true. I think it was $2.50 for 8 lb bag. Also I had not really paid attention of all the items they had available and it was quite impressive for the basic needs including some food items. You might want to check it out before heading into Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge for some small item. (I suspect Gatlinburg would be about the same price as the store, or more). As for the campground it was the same as previous trips. The grounds and facilities were clean and well kept by the Park Service. Attendants in the office were very friendly and took an appropriate amount of time to answer any questions. The firefly viewing was managed very well by the rangers. They too seemed to enjoy helping and answering any questions. Will be going again next year.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gatlinburg
23.4 km away
4.7 km away
Quality Inn & Suites Gatlinburg
3.3 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Gatlinburg Downtown

Been to Elkmont Campground? Share your experiences!