See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We were more than happy with our £13 a night booking initially, rooms are basic but clean and tidy. The pool is nice and the service friendly. However after my first night I thought I'd picked up a few mosquito bites as has a few bite marks in the morning, five months travelling aisa in budget accomodation and haven't come across the dreaded bed bugs until now! Despite using as much repellent as I could get my hands on the second night was unbearable. Bed was absolutely crawling in bugs, nasty bites from head to toe.
The rest of the rooms my be okay but definitely avoid room 508!
There is also a little construction work nearby but we didn't find the noise disturbing.

Room Tip: Avoid room 508 , that's where the bed bugs are!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kacey L
Reviewed 4 June 2012

There were 3 of us staying there in 3 different rooms. My room was ok, bathroom worked and all, but my other friends had to move rooms a few times b/c the toilet bust. Breakfast is ok, nothing to write home about, but what makes this a fun hotel is the people that come through there and it's location. It's a 5-10 minute walk to the beacIh and tucked away in the back alleyways. You're so close to all the shops and little bars and restaurants, but it's quiet at night so no problem sleeping. It's fairly cheap as well (we paid 275,000RP late May 2012) just before peak season. I would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ggeewwllss
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We've been knocking around the cheaper sort of places in Asia for 4 months before arriving. But since e were flying in late we thought we would book online for a change and make certain we had somewhere. THis place came up at $20 which is about twice what we usually pay for a room in Indonesia, and by fa the worst room so far.

THere were two windows on either side of the room. One allowed a flueresent light to shine in all night and the other didn't have a curtain, it was sealed up with newspaper. (And then only one sheet the cheapskates) Bathroom was dirty and had no sink. The breakfast they include is worth $3 dollars on their menu just so you know when comparing prices.

My advice is to avoid the place. If there is no where listed on the comparison sites, there will be hundreds of options at least no worse than this that have no internet presence in the area. I have a strong suspision that the rate on the door is actually half what it is on the internet.

Room Tip: Don't Don't book ahead, I strongly suspect their walk-in price is lower.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jimmyrayreid
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I have stayed in many one and two star hotels in Bali and have been pleasantly surprised and happy with my choices thus far. After reading the reviews for this hotel i decided to book the dearest suites....
I arrived at nearly three in the morning and after getting into the deluxe room I had to change. the bathroom fittings were either hanging or dangling precariously off the wall, ceiling, basin or whatever they were meant to be attached to.
The shower/bath taps were very rusted through and only worked with bath taps and overhead shower on at the same time. The basin looked as if it was going to crash through the floor any moment. Don't get me started on the furniture, or what was meant to be furniture...
Room was also full of mossies, mainly due to the ill-fitting balcony door.
Room #2 was a lot 'nicer' - clean, almost new floor tiles, nice flat screen TV with DVD player. Looked like a new bath tub and toilet, complete with a built in bidee. Biggest problem was the bathroom ceiling, almost completely covered in thick, black mould. There were no windows nor fans in the room.
There was much construction outside, so there were no pleasant views at all. How could anyone swim in the very unsafe (dirty and cracked missing tiles etc) pool and survive amused me
I managed to stay two nights until I could not hack the smell of mould any longer and found another hotel (Champlung Mas..a little dearer but worth it, especially the older section)
On a positive note, staff were quite friendly, even managed to make the not so friendly ones crack a smile :)

Room Tip: Please view the room before making a booking/paying for it
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Sayang maha mertha is in a good location, close to Legian, close to beach restaurants and lane that leads to poppies 2. It is a clean hotel, with friendly staff, good food, a nice pool... and for a bit extra you have aircon and tv in rooms.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends