Kuramathi Island Resort
Aloha Rasdhoo(Rasdhoo)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$36
Agoda.com
Acqua Blu Rasdhoo(Rasdhoo)(Great Value!)
US$55
US$503
  • Breakfast included
US$44
US$38
Travelocity
Holiday Heaven Ukulhas(Ukulhas)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$63
Priceline
Nika Island Resort & Spa(Kudafolhudhoo Island)
US$237
US$194
  • Beachfront
Gangehi Island Resort(Gangehi Island)
US$257
US$190
Trip.com
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
VOI Maayafushi Resort(Maayafushi Island)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
4,193 results
All reviewsa la carte restaurantssunset cruiseall inclusive packageour honeymoonkuoni repsea planedeluxe beach villawater villalagoon sidefishbuffet restaurantkuramathi islandsand bankallocated restaurantcoffee shopreef sharksmain reception
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Like most other reviewers we loved Kuramathi. We did the select all inclusive and if you like variation I would opt for that. Every meal we had was excellent. My other half often has difficulty picking dishes he likes on holiday but not here food was excellent. We eat out a lot and I would say it was as good as top restaurants
Our breakfast/lunch restaurant was ma laafaiy in the middle of the island...the choice was amazing, every meal had at Peggy Chinese Indian and European options. They also made toasted sarnies for those who couldn't choose. Oh whilst I'm on food booking meals is a breeze. Just book two days in advance every breakfast time. You can book at your local reception for us it was next to the restaurant. We always managed to get the time and restaurant we wanted.
All the staff were so sweet and helpful and really spoilt us.
Bars were great we loved Dhoni bar which had a great atmosphere and also the champagne loft. You can drink beer, cava or cocktails free here if you are on AI.
We had a deluxe villa with Jacuzzi which was near the beach but a bit shady and overgrown for us but it still was a good sized room with everything we needed.

You do get bitten so take repellent and ask for your room to be sprayed. I think the overrated villas would have suited us better but that was what we will do next time.
I would recommend the seaplane out to the island, but coming back although the flight time is quick the are long delays at Male do you get to customs at the same time as the people who went by boat.
All in all an excellent holiday on a paradise island with the nicest people in the world..will we be back..you bet

3  Thank fifilab0n
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Visited Kuramathi as part of an wedding anniversary trip. We chose the island after being recommend to stay here from family and also Kunoi travel agent.
The resort is one of the larger islands and when at full capacity can have 700 guest staying on the island.

We opted for the speedboat transfer to and from the island – this took 1.5hrs. The return journey meant a 4am start in order to have breakfast before boarding the boat. The other option is by sea plane although this is only available during daylight hours but is between 20 and 30minutes

The island itself is pleasant. Sandy walks, a shuttle golf buggy service to help you get around the island and somewhat relaxing setting. Kuramathi is situated very close to an inhabited Maldivian island. Depending on your package / tour operator you have the chance to visit the island for free for one hour. ( the boat takes around 8 minutes ) so you can understand HOW close the island is – you could swim it ! ( not ideal for those paradise pictures of nothing around for your instagram).

The island is home to multiple restaurants – 3 buffets ( you will be allocated a buffet restaurant that is closest to your villa location) 7 dining restaurants and a lot of bars to. We stayed on the select all-inclusive package. This means you can eat in any of the restaurants on the island and order from a menu ( some foods you to pay a supplement for but to be honest, this is the Wagu beef steak / lobster dish) The food we received in the restaurants was ok. Our best restaurants was the island Barbecue and the Tandoor Mahal. We choose the select all-inclusive so we could have that dine around option. This was an extra £100 per person per night compared to the full board ( breakfast, lunch and dinner in the allocated buffet restaurant) You will sign of you bill at each bar and restaurant once you have finished. We actually kept a tab of what we ate in the restaurants and drunk in the bars and we didn’t reach the £200 per person per day limit…. In our case we would have been better doing pay as you go however understand some people like to pay before leaving and know when you arrive you don’t have another expenses to your holiday.. sometimes I found we ordered for the sake of it, as you felt you had to. Its free, so why not? However in the UK eating 3 courses at lunch and dinner is a big struggle so why do it on holiday? The Haruge buffet restaurant is very very very poor – the breakfast was terrible and so was lunch, a couple of hot dishes for lunch and a small bowl of fruit with 4 pastries for breakfast. In all the hotels we have stayed in over the world, this has got to be the worst buffet we had experienced. Maybe given a majority of guests were on the select all-inclusive and could eat in the restaurants for lunch and dinner, they felt no effort was needed – feel sorry for the Full board and all-inclusive guests although maybe the poor choice means people on full board basis are pushed into paying the extra to eat at the other restaurants to break the mundane cycle???! When we ventured up and down the island it seems other buffets restaurants seemed to be a little nicer and more modern and had more stations so definitely seems that your choice of room impacts the buffet restaurant choice. You have to make dinner reservations for a majority of the restaurants on the island – and they can only be booked 3 days in advance. This cannot be done over the phone, only in reception ( or so we were told) – so if you are in a water villa at the tip of the island, it’s a long walk to reception each day !

We choose to stay in a Garden villa, which was actually located on the beach… it was based near the reception and what seems to be the older part of the island. The room itself was a little dated and just felt somewhat tired. The outdoor shower was a nice touch along with the free minibar that gave you free soft drinks . There was 2 sunbeds on our porch / balcony area. The rooms was cleaned every day and fresh towels and bedding were changed to. It seems the water villas are practically new and sit at the other end of the island. This end of the island seems very modern and seems to have been recently refurbished – Champagne loft, Lovely bar with resident DJ and pool, Fish restaurant over the water and teppanyaki restaurant to. It seems Water Villas would provide a more intimate holiday however depending on your location , walking from the villas to the island / a bar / civilisation could be 10 minutes, so depends how secluded you want to be. We stayed near were they dock the boats on the island, therefore our view from our window was ruined by the island sunset cruise boat and the broken, bright orange submarine parked just over the man made reef.

For an entire stay, we felt there was something missing.. no staff went out there way to assist us, the food was good, but not amazing (what we would expect in a 4 star hotel ) – at some points the meat wasn’t the best quality / some food was greasy/ staff were not attentive – from staying in other locations such as Las Vegas & Dubai there’s a massive gap. The beach towels were bath towels you can buy in Asda, the sunbeds are cheap plastic from B&Q. The island just doesn’t have a luxury feel. You are not waited on hand and foot, if you make a request they seem very inflexible to assist you. We never got that warm welcoming feeling when we arrived or at any part of the holiday

The standard we received was on par ( in some areas a little less) with what we expect from all our holidays, however nothing to shout about.
What we felt was going to be a holiday of a lifetime wasn’t any different to any other holiday we have had – probably the only good thing is knowing that we’ve been there and have ticked that off the destination list as we were continually told due to rising sea levels that in the future it wouldn’t be around

Kuramathi didn’t deliver on this occasion…….

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Tiskyboo
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Returned home from this amazing island on Saturday 24th March. We had an incredible time on the island. We are a young couple in our late 30’s and spent 5 nights on the island. We decided on Select Inclusive (SI) and it was definitely the best choice we made. We love our food and drinks so it was a no brainer for us when deciding to go SI. We had a gorgeous Beach villa with Jacuzzi and allocated Hurage as our Buffet Restaurant.
I definitely agree with other reviewers with regards to the accommodation. You definitely do NOT have to have the most expensive accommodation to enjoy this island. Personally if I was on a budget and had to choose a basic Garden Villa so I could benefit the Select Inclusive meal plan then I would have no hesitation in doing this!! Why would you need your own pool when there are plenty of fantastic pools & stunning warm beaches around the island and at least you can have your cocktail at these pools too whereas you cant if you are at your own pool :)
The island itself is fantastic and very luxurious. All the bars are beautiful but our favorite for day time lunch was Inguru and day time cocktails Laguna and night time our favorite bar was the Fung Bar and watching and listening to Antidote the Resident band on the island. They play all kinds of songs and take requests also. There is a dance floor for some dancing if you wish to dance.
Our least favorite was the Island Coffee Shop. We had some snack food here one day and OMG it was the worst food ive ever tasted. Chicken wings (x2) that were so greasy and no chicken inside the deep fried batter and the beef strips that were deep fried and solid hard that I couldn’t eat them for fear of breaking a tooth. Thankfully this was included in the SI or I would have sent it back. Im sure they realized it was awful as nothing was touched on both plates!

We got to use most restaurants:-
Island BBQ – fantastic – we had Flambayed Prawns and Steak – fantastic!
Siam Thai – Mediocre – Starters really good but a bit disappointed with the mains.
The Palm – very nice, small portions (so we ordered 3 mains) and ice Cream is really good. We had lunch here one day also, pizza and Salad and this is lovely for lunch too!
Kobe – Teppanyaki – Very nice. Personally though if you have been to one teppanyaki you have seen it all. If I had more nights on the island I wouldn’t return to this. The food is lovely but to see the amount of butter used on the food is cringe worthy, I know its probably the norm behind the scenes but when you see it in front of you its scary how much they use lol ! The fresh Sushi is really good. One customer upgraded to the Waygu Beef Tendrlion Steak which was an extra $55 on top of the SI rate however it looked exactly like the Black Angus Beef Tenderlion in the Meaty Combination that we got to share, same looking, same size etc so I would have been disappointed if It had of been me that chose it.
Reef – Fantastic and our No 1 Restaurant on the island! Book this the minute you arrive on the island. Bare in mind you can only book 2 nights in advance. We tried booking on our second day and there was nothing available so we made sure that on our 3rd day we booked it the minute we got out of bed as we heard it was so good and had to get a booking. We are so glad we did. We wished we got to use the restaurant twice over our stay but it was not possible with booking system. I had the Snapper Fillet that i picked myself and chose the Sri lankan sour curry topping and OMG it was the best fish i had tasted!! The topping was not over powering in anyway and complimented the fish fantastically - we definitely gave our compliments to the chef in this restaurant. I wish we got a second night In this restaurant :(

A couple of Negative things I would say about Kuramathi Island
1. I agree with the Restaurant booking systems however what annoyed me was that a few times we could not get the restaurants we wanted to use, even if we tried 2 days beforehand. Then whilst walking by the restaurants at night time there were over 20 tables available in Reef on many occasions when we were told it was booked out!!! This maddened me a bit. It didn’t only happen one night it was about 3 separate nights. Even when we were in the restaurants that we almost begged to get into there were so many seats available whilst we were there, we wondered why guests where told they were fully booked when they definitely were not from 7pm to 9pm not just at one particular sitting time. The island was by no means full to capacity so I dread to think what happens when it is full!!!
I understand some of the restaurants are quite small ie island BBQ which always seemed to be full and Kobe as there are only 8 people per sitting (2 teppenyaki areas so 8 per hot plate as such) however when we were at Reef there was 4 seats available over 2 sittings that someone could have easily availed of!

2. Only allowed to use the Buffett Restaurant on your last day!!! I spent thousands of Dollars on your island and I am not allowed to have lunch in 1 of 2 places on my last day????? I find this very offensive......You are still paying for that last day so why should you not be allowed to choose where you eat for your last meal before the big journey you have ahead of you?

3. Having to leave the island earlier than desired!!!! We had to leave the Island at 2.30 when our flight was not until midnight!!! If this was the last boat of the day then that would have been acceptable but sitting in the airport and seeing another boat from Kuramathi pull up 3 hours after I had been sitting in a tiny airport with no facilities just made me crazy!!! I could have sat on the Island for an extra 3 hours before going to Male Airport and sitting on a bench!!!
OK if my entitlements finished at 2pm on that day – that would be fine. If I want to buy anything from then on I have to pay – this is also OK. Having to leave 3 hours earlier than the next boat going to the same destination without being given a choice.....Terrible Service!!! Having to wait an unnecessary 9 hours in a horrible Airport with No WIFI (unless you make a purchase and you receive ½ hr access code) before your 2 long haul flights is quite unreasonable especially if there is a later boat going to the same destination a few hours later! This boat had definitely come from the island before anyone think that it may have been somewhere else before making the airport run as the Boat Crew were the same boys that were on my boat journey 3/4 hours earlier!!!

4. Laguna Bar DJ Music. The music here during the day from 16.00 – 6 (i think) is very very heavy dance music! I couldn’t understand why they would have a DJ with this kind of music right in the middle of the day when you are winding down to watch the sunset and go to dinner. It was extremely heavy dance music and I am sure alot of guests would like more relaxing modern hit music/top 50 hits or something rather than dance pump pump music! I am in my 30’s and hated it and we had to leave when the DJ arrived a couple of days because we knew what was to come and didn’t want a headache before dinner! I would have loved to hear some Ed Sheeran, Beyonce, Bruno Mars all that easy listening music, anything other than Rave music at 16.30 in the day!!!! Yes you can move to another bar if you didn’t like the music however the other bars don’t have any music during the day other than background music. The majority of the guests are older than me so I can only imagine what they thought of the music. The bar would have a lot more guests coming to watch the sunset in this fabulous bar if it was nicer music playing and putting them in a better mood before dinner rather than leaving with a headache. Suggestion would be to trial different music and see what the difference is!

They are the only 4 gripes I would have with the island that I definitely think they could improve on. Everything else was amazing. Food fabulous, staff fabulous and very friendly from saying hello while walking through the island, to the bar staff who are brilliant at their job especially in our favorite bar, Fung Bar. They remembered our drinks, remembered we loved plenty of ice etc. the little things that make your holiday more enjoyable......and I know it was because they got a good tip but it is worth it.

Overall it was a very unforgettable holiday and hopefully some day in the future I will be able to visit again but would also like to try a different island to compare.

I hope Kuramathi Island Management take these issues into consideration as there are plenty of people who have mentioned the early departure previously and the fact you can not choose where you have lunch on your last day however nothing seems to have changed. In fairness the amount of dollars guests are paying for their Holiday on the island I find it very bad service on your last day and last impressions count just as much as the first impressions!!!

Room Tip: You do not need the most expensive villa to enjoy this island!! Upgrade to Select Inclusive rather than upgrade your accommodation!
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Gillh333
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed in a Deluxe Beach Villa with Jacuzzi situated in the central zone of the island nestled in amongst the lush paradisal palms and plants but still full of light and sunshine. The room was spacious, attractively decorated, well equipped and meticulously cleaned twice a day. A fun feature was a private courtyard with outdoor shower, jacuzzi and day bed. The villas are arranged as private and separated individual units, which give directly onto the white beach and turquoise waters of the lagoon. This side of the island is ideal for sun lounging and swimming but it is necessary to go to the reef side for snorkelling. Special channels have been created to take you to the edge of the reef as a worthy means of protecting the coral. We spent hours each day snorkelling unable to resist the chance to swim in a surreal world of tropical fish and if you are lucky black tip reef sharks. We found snorkelling near the arrival jetty the most practical and twice went on the snorkelling safari as this was an exciting adventure to see endless schools of fish and again if lucky sharks and turtles in open water. We had no regret of not taking up the all inclusive or select all inclusive options as the basic buffet restaurant assigned to us was excellent with top quality dishes to a different theme each evening. The range of food choice and presentation was excellent. Some highlights we enjoyed during our stay were relaxing sundowners at the Laguna Bar and the evening entertainment in the Dhoni Bar. Throughout the resort the service, whether at reception, the activity centres or restaurants, is of the highest professional standard and a noticeable feature is the tidiness everywhere thanks to the endless sweeping of pathways by a team of gardners. Every member of staff you cross greets you with a friendly hello, which in a nice way makes you feel welcomed. Our experience was personal but we are sure those enjoying other activities like diving, the speciality restaurants and perhaps staying in an over water villa will have similar happy and enduring memories to take home with them. All in all a marvellous holiday that surpassed in every way our expectations.

4  Thank Flo-Mal
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We spent a most relaxing, happy week on Kuramathi. We stayed in a Beach Villa, very comfortable with outside private shower. Food superb, friendly helpful staff. Our choice was full board, paying for drinks as we went. Beautiful island, much thought has gone into the planning of all the trees, with nature walks explaining the different plants. Very grateful for all the wonderful shade as really very hot.
We chose this island as snorkelling can be done from the beach, we weren't disappointed, the fish were abundant and truly beautiful.
Thank you Kuramathi, for a most relaxing time.