“Great service, tasty food”
Review of Haldi Masala

Haldi Masala
Ranked #295 of 1,041 Restaurants in Madison
Reviewed 2 November 2017

We were going to a movie at the Marcus Point Theater and decided to try Haldi Masala for dinner first since it was nearby. What a great decision!

We arrived a little before 6:00 pm on Tuesday. The restaurant was nearly empty. We were seated promptly and brought water and menus. I don't usually struggle with what to eat, but this time I was having a hard time deciding. Our waitress asked a few questions about what types of food we like and the spiciness level and then made some recommendations. We had the Gobi Manchurian. This was battered cauliflower with garlic, ginger and onion. The batter reminded me of a tempura. I would never have guessed it was cauliflower, the texture was more like pork. The flavors were dynamite. This was an excellent recommendation. We also had the garlic naan. Garlicky, buttery, crispy, this was some of the best naan I've eaten. For entrees we had the gongura mamsam which was a goat in a curry sauce. The goat was tender and tasty and the sauce was spicy and delicious. She had asked how spicy and I like it and she came back to check and it was perfect. I was a little bummed that there were bones in the goat but it was very tasty. My partner had the baingan bartha which is an eggplant dish with tomatoes, peas, onions, and spices. I'm not much of an eggplant fan, so this was not my favorite dish, but my partner said he enjoyed the flavors.

Our waitress was prompt, friendly, had good recommendations, was great about refilling water, and was generally just exceptional. The place did begin to fill up while were dining. I enjoyed the Indian music videos on the TV in the background. I would definitely return to Haldi Masala and I'd really like to try their lunch buffet.

2  Thank rickleed

Reviewed 24 June 2017

I walked in this week to check out Haldi and it smelled so great, I ordered take out for lunch. I love to drink beer with Indian food and the place has beer and wine. The menu looks large and the South Indian zing gives the place a niche. Haldi opened in our neighborhood about nine months ago and it has stiff competition from several other Indian restaurants in the area. It is advertising on Facebook and I thought that was so smart that I had to see how it was doing. There was a lunch crowd and many Indian Americans as customers, a good sign.

4  Thank Ellen F
Reviewed 2 May 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed dinner for two at this fantastic find for South Indian food. Enjoyed the Mysore dosa ( served with delicious coconut chutney and sambhar soup) and the dosa with chicken. Both were appropriately spiced and delicious. Service was prompt and very attentive. Wish we lived closer and we would be regulars.

3  Thank Janeite1
Reviewed 1 May 2017

This is a southern Indian restaurant so unlike the other Indian restaurants in town, the flavors here a a bit different. I loved every bite! We ordered the Karaikudi Vegetable, the Gutti Vankaya Koora and Garlic Naan. The food was delicious. We asked for each dish to be made "as is" in terms of spicy heat. The Gutti Vankaya Koora definitely could have been spicier because I really like spicy food. As it was, it had some heat to it but was a 4-5 for me on a scale of 10. Next time, I'll order more spice.

The service was great and the place was full of native folks. Always a good sign.

I highly recommend giving this place a try especially if you enjoy Indian food and are looking for another region of Indian food to explore.

3  Thank Cynthia R
Reviewed 27 April 2017

Aloo Gobi & Tandorri Chicken were fantastic! Loved the complimentary Pappadams. We'll be back to try other items on the menu.

3  Thank mahillst