“Ugly Cookies are worth the trip”
Review of Chocolaterian Cafe

Chocolaterian Cafe
Ranked #5 of 18 Bakeries in Madison
Reviewed 23 February 2017

Had one of the cookies and it was great, the chocolate tart was meh and a bit dry. Lot of people just hanging out using the Wi-Fi. Will go back for more cookies.

1  Thank dyna47

Reviewed 21 February 2017

Walked into this lovely place recently and it had a really nice vibe. It has a very cozy and warm feel to it. Unfortunately, that's where the good stuff ends. The staff wasn't the friendliest bunch as far as cafe goes and sadly, the desserts were terribly disappointing. We ordered a tiramisu, creme puff and cookie. The tiramisu lacked two major ingredients: coffee-soaked lady fingers and mascarpone cheese. The cake used to layer the tiramisu was very dry. The creme puff should've been called something else. It was neither creamy nor puffy. It was so dense that a hockey puck would've been a better name for it. And where was the creme? The center was filled with chunky custard. Not what I expected. That went in the garbage after one bite. And lastly the cookie was overcooked and completely dry. It is possible that this cafe is better at producing chocolates but we will never know since the desserts were so bad.

Reviewed 17 February 2017

Every time I walk into this place I wish I had the time to sit down and order something. Usually though, I cut through the cafe to get to places on the other side of Atwood. I always get an ugly cookie - the best toffee based cookie I have ever had - and occasionally the chocolate mousse, which is probably the third best. I've had thier fruit tart in the past too, and that was great as well!

I can't speak to their coffee or anything else, but I look forward to finding out.

1  Thank Nineran
Reviewed 2 February 2017 via mobile

We were supposed to stop for lunch but ran out of time. We made sure we stored at the end of our day. The French maccarons are incredible. Only second to the Bucheon Bakery in Las Vegas minus the flight. I also had the French Hot Chocolate. Very good but much different than American hit chocolate. Thick and creamy, you almost need a glass of milk to go with.

Reviewed 25 December 2016

We had a chocolate brownie. It was fine. The place seems historic, with warm brown colors. Menu had one dish, the first time we went. Yesterday, it had about ten dishes. It seemed all were either meat or cheese, plus curry chicken with salad greens. Service was pleasant.

Been to Chocolaterian Cafe? Share your experiences!