“Good food, long wait times”

Olive at the Hilton
Ranked #453 of 1,108 Restaurants in Madison
Reviewed 21 April 2018

We checked in kind of late and still needed to eat (8 PM). We picked the Olive because it was more casual and they weren’t very busy. In walking in, we were not sure if we could seat ourselves and, if we needed to order at the bar or if someone would wait on us. We grabbed a menu off another table and observed to see what we should do. We decided to ask the bartender what to do and he said they would be right out. 10 minutes later, he came to take our order. 15 minutes later, I went to the bar to get the drinks we ordered and, over a half an hour after that, our sandwiches came. It was hard to tell what was going on. I was not sure if the bartender, who was also the waiter, also appeared to perhaps be making the food…? I am surprised if this is the case as it was apparent that in all other parts of the hotel, they had called in extra staff due to the events going on at the hotel. The bartender was going from the bar for extended periods of time, however, so this must be the case. He was very nice and apologized over and over for the wait. I felt bad for him.
The food was excellent. We had the turkey sandwich. The menu does not fully explain it and I was thinking it would be your basic turkey sandwich. It was toasted and came with french fries, which we did not expect. If we were not beyond starving and in no rush at all for food or drink, I would have rated this place a little higher, perhaps, as the food was good and our waiter was nice, but I certainly think that they need to add more staff.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 5 January 2018

Our family held a Christmas gathering in the Alcove room that is part of the Olives' lounge - actually we spilled out into a portion of the lounge since our group was so big. Since it was Christmas day that wasn't an issue because it was pretty dead at the hotel and in the lounge.

The bartender, Erica, did a great job hosting us and she kept the drinks coming (nice and strong). Same with the next night when we stopped back after dinner elsewhere.

If this review was just based on Erica I would give it five stars but the food was pretty mediocre. I know it was Christmas and it was a hotel bar menu but they really should make a better effort with the quality and preparation of the items they do serve - they were just OK for the price.

Anyway we did not let the food ruin the festivities. Olives worked well as a place for us to celebrate together.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 20 March 2017

Great people. Great food. Great atmosphere! Cannot ask for more from a hotel restaurant. Make sure you sit and relax after a long day here.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 13 December 2016

A rich grilled cheese sandwich and crisp green salad satisfied, while I relaxed, read and gazed over Lake Monona. Later the place served a loud, packed private wedding party for hotel guests, but it was staid and laid back during my late lunch visit.

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed 4 December 2016

This is a nice place for a cocktail and light fare off the lobby at the Madison Hilton. The menu is limited but the cocktails are top shelf. We had wings and nachos which were pretty standard but the drinks are very well prepared if a bit pricey. But, it's the Hilton. It's classy.

Date of visit: December 2016