“You gotta try the biscuits and gravy!”

Rosie's Coffee Bar and Bakery
Ranked #6 of 18 Bakeries in Madison
Reviewed 9 March 2016 via mobile

One of the fun things I try to get out of traveling on business is trying out new places. TripAdvisor reviews brought us to Rosie's Coffee Bar and Bakery this morning and once again the reviews were right. This is a nice places with so much to choose from, a decision was difficult, you just want to try everything. Being Canadian and by necessity a doughnut connoisseur I was very tempted by the doughnuts made from scratch. But I am also a lover of something we just don't see back home, biscuits and gravy and these are to die for. If you are from the area and haven't experienced Rosie's Coffee Bar and Bakery then you ready need to get down here cause you're missing out. If you in town for any reason, you'll want to skip the big box breakfast and try it this little local place. You'll be glad you did.

Reviewed 16 January 2016 via mobile

Ate breakfast there with our son and served coffee by his very significant other aka fledgling barista. Am told it's a recent arrival (past year) into Monona. Which is hard to believe given how busy it seemed to be and the presence of what appeared to be a solid core of clientele known by name and preferences to the owner and his two baristas. The relatively small breakfast menu (blueberry oatmeal, pancakes, different combos of egg&cheese sandwiches <croissant /biscuit, ham/bacon/sausage>, plus a daily special) is well offset by a large sandwich/lunch menu. Similar to another local restaurant (Marigolds), you place and pay for your order at the counter, get a number, and go seat yourself at the coffee bar or in the eating area. When your food is ready, the cook brings it to you. We were pleased with our breakfasts and then had some fun with the coffees. Hubby had a cappuccino expertly made. Son and I had speciality coffees made fresh from the bean using two of four available processes: his was "top pour", mine was "funnel". What an education! If you have the to wait for your coffee to be made, the end result is worth it.

Highly recommend for breakfast or lunch AND coffee!

Based on what we saw in the bakery display (stuff guaranteed to kill your diet instantly) am confident it's a great bakery too. But no time for that today. So won't comment on it as bakery.

Reviewed 3 January 2016

The kids loved the French toast, and I really enjoyed learning about coffee from the barista. He talked through the timing and details of a certain kind of pour over that I ordered--he clearly knew his stuff! And it tasted fantastic! Check this place out!

Reviewed 14 July 2015

Nice environment. The young lady at the front counter was very friendly. We had coffee, breakfast sandwiches, quiche and potatoes. Everything was wonderful. Thank you for a nice breakfast.

Reviewed 14 June 2015

I've been here several times, each time hoping it would be better than it was. So many people seem to love it, I figured I was getting them at a bad time. But it just doesn't get better for me. On my last visit, I ordered a veggie sandwich. It was quite large. My husband ordered the quiche. It was quite small, so small I was surprised they would even serve it, especially at the price they charged. The sandwich, called the Madison, was nothing I would ever willingly eat again. It consisted of veggies, spices, and goat cheese on a thick, unremarkable bun. I gave half of it to my husband. A few hours after eating his quiche, my husband noticed his tummy starting to feel not so good. Let's just say it got worse from there. He suspected lard in the quiche crust, which he had noticed was quite dark. We can't know for sure that's what did it to him, but given he has been a vegetarian for 39 years, he has learned the effects undisclosed meat and meat products have on him. We also had dessert. My husband's chocolate mousse pie was delicious. This was the first and only item I've tried here that I would consider eating again. I had the German chocolate cake. Like their other pastry offerings, it was kept in a cold glass case, so I let it sit and warm up a bit, hoping the cake wouldn't be so hard and the ridiculous little bit of buttercream frosting they adorned the cake with would become edible. As in previous visits, the buttercream simply had to be discarded. It was almost flavorless and, so, pointless; I see no reason to consume that many calories for something that's just grease. I thought it was strange to have buttercream over the regular frosting, even though it was apparently just for cutesy detail. The traditional carmel, pecan, coconut frosting was good. The cake itself was hard and dense throughout, even after warming up, and dry at the edges. I'd've rather had Betty Crocker. To make it worse, this place costs a lot of money. My husband raised his eyebrows when they gave us the total, somewhere over $30 but less than $35, I just can't remember. I would pay that much money for good food. But this just isn't up to those rates. I don't think I'll bother trying again.