“Best shrimp po boy”

Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Parkway Bakery & Tavern is a New Orleans restaurant and family dining tradition located at the corner of Hagan and Toulouse overlooking Bayou St. John in Louisiana.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife went for lunch last week while on vacation. There was a bus group of kids from Atlanta there so the wait was a little long. Believe me the food was worth the wait. We just got a fully dressed large shrimp. When we unwrapped it the shrimp the falling out of the sandwich( so many shrimp). Sandwich was big enough to share. A definite return trip is in order. Oysters only on Monday and Wednesday.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,158)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

...shrimp po boy was up Canal on the streetcar to the Jeff Davis stop, and a short walk from there. Nothing fancy, and be prepared to wait in line, but it was worth the wait. The po boys were literally overflowing with shrimp that was cooked just right.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The many reviews testifying to the food quality are correct.
Without some 'issues', mine was a five circle experience:
Couldn't pre order as it was broken on the day, so I showed up around 130pm and the place was chaotic, tour bus parked outside motor running, school kids milling round and the sound level on the property was in the high 100plus decibel range. Never mind, it's my 1st time to visit the famous (since 1911) Parkway Bakery.
Waited in an order queue for a very long time, once the order was taken and food pre paid it came out in minutes, the only thing on the small menu which I thought wasn't fried or cheesy, a roast turkey poboy dressed.
It was delicious, not a lotta very thinly sliced turkey for an $11plus sammy, a tad dry, though I ordered 'dressed' that means mayo lettuce tomato. I'll get to that later. Prior to eating, I tried to find the washroom, signs said 'upstairs' but all doors were locked? so I washed my hands best I could with a cup of drinking water. No one mentioned condiments and I didn't see any so I ate most of my sammy (dry) until I spied an unmarked locker which another patron opened nearby containing mustard , mayo, and sauces! Wonder why that was never OFFERED upon ordering or pick up? As mentioned, twas CHAOTIC in the place for the 1st 40 minutes, then quieted down to a dull roar. Finished my snack in an hour and the remainder of the poboy improved MARKEDLY with some mustard / mayo.
VALUE: not compelling at $11.50 scarce meat / twas a light sammy.
SERVICE: a coupla 'issues' as stated but staff were working their butts off in that kitchen ! It's self order / pick up takeaway style although I chose to "dine in".
QUALITY: a very well executed poboy, one of the best in town (Verte Marte is better IMHO)

1  Thank r s
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

I admit it! I hate queuing but on this occasion I'm glad I did!! Great bread, pickles, mayo (or choice of condiments) and choice of Cat fish, Shrimp, Chicken (if you must)
It's a classy fish finger sandwich (Not knocking, this was probably inspiration)
Highly recommend!! There is a bar next door too...give that a try!

1  Thank Martinharte
Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

Did a lot of research on where to eat for all the NOLA staples while in town and this place was always mentioned for its fried shrimp po boy & roast beef po boy. I got the shrimp; wife got the roast beef. We were both blown away. We waited in line for a half hour but for that sandwich I'd wait an hour, easy. Might've been my favorite meal while in town.