“Ambiance so-so; Food wonderful ”
Review of Chinese Kitchen

Chinese Kitchen
Ranked #1,112 of 2,011 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: Closed due to damage suffered in Hurricane Katrina.
Description: Closed due to damage suffered in Hurricane Katrina.
Reviewed 21 February 2016 via mobile

I aways feel strange writing reviews for places that (a) have been around longer than I have been breathing, and (b) I have been to "a thousand times" before. Chinese Kitchen is one of these places. I figure, if it's been around THAT long, they must be doing SOMETHING right for SOMEbody (read, group that they appeal to, etc.,). And yes, if I've been going since I (italics) literally were a child, obviously I wouldn't have (been going back over and over) if it wasn't good (!). This place is literally an icon here for Chinese food. But don't go if you are looking to 'see and be seen' or if you MUST HAVE that 5-star experience. NOT that kind of place. Intending absolutely nothing but respect, Chinese Kitchen is a hole in the wall with lipstick on it to make it look like Chinese restaurants USED to (think they had to) look to appeal to the American stomach. Expect to see a line. ALWAYS. But seating, even on a busy wekwnd night doesn't usually take long. If you're ordering to go/pick up, call in first. You'll still have a (separate) line, but a shorter wait. Food-- authentic, neo-Chinese as good or better than anyplace in Chinatown, SF to NY. I had my fave, the Kung Bo Beef. For some reason, CK has a brown sauce in this dish that I've NEVER tasted anywhere else. Here, and even in Taiwan and China. It has stayed the same for over 40 plus years I personally have eaten it there. I ALWAYS order egg rolls. Again, different and much better flavor than most. And, they're huge. 2 is easily a small meal. The fried rice (incidentally, rice and 1 egg roll comes with the Kung Bo Beef meal) is tasty, chock full of whatever type you ordered (shrimp, chicken, beef) and they give you plenty. The above, along with a beer and a coke fed 2 people dinner with tip for under 30. Service is authentic because most of the servers have that 'old ancient' way about them. They are always attentive, almost a little too much even when busy. And, they'll usually remember you if you go occasionally. Parking is a disaster because of their location, and the nearby businesses are not real friendly because of it, so if you're driving down be patient. A short cab/Uber from downtown/French Quarter, but be prepared for a taste (figuratively and taste-bud wise) of the 'other dining side' of NOLA. Of course, yes, we WILL be back!

Reviewed 18 February 2016

I am very picky about Chinese food. I have been disappointed by many restaurants either having overpriced food that didn't taste well. This is NOT the case at Chinese Kitchen, Not only is the food reasonably priced, it is very good. It is some of the best fried rice that I have ever had, and the eggroll is the best that I have ever had. My only complaint is the lack of parking, If going there around lunch time, expect a crowd. The good thing is that many people do not dine in. If you are looking to dine in, you are fine. Just be prepared to probably spend some time finding parking whether picking up an order or dining in. Overall, I would definitely recommend Chinese Kitchen for their food,

Reviewed 17 January 2016

The portions are excellent for the price. The best of the best in my book. Everything on the menu is excellent. The parking is tight, but it is well worth is to go to the Chinese Kitchen. Check it out, and when I tell you the best Chinese Food ever. You will agree.

Reviewed 15 December 2015

Excellent food but the bathroom, decor, and dining room needs work. I always get the Pork Yakamein. The egg rolls are to die for. OMG! Large portions.

Reviewed 28 October 2015

First time here wince the renovation. Dropped in with the wife after a visit to the doctor. The shrimp and broccoli was very good and I just love the egg rolls. Some of the best in the city.