“Perfect Mayan ruins base”

La Mansion del Pajaro Serpiente
Ranked #4 of 12 El Remate B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here when we toured the ruins at Tikal with Roxy Ortiz. We flew from the US into Flores, where the hotel had arranged for a taxi to meet us at about 7:30 p.m. By the time we cleared customs and got to El Remate it was around 8:30. Because we did not know how late we might be arriving, we had asked if the hotel could provide dinner for us and they said of course. That began a pattern of the customer service we received.

When we arrived with our luggage, we were prepared to check into the hotel, take our bags to the room, and then eat, hopefully before we were too sleepy to eat it. Instead we were immediately seated, and Jorge, the manager, hauled all our luggage up to our cottage while we sat drinking water and Gallo beer. If I hadn't been so tired from the long flight I might have felt guilty. They asked if we wanted chicken or beef, and soon were served a nice Guatemalan dinner that I would call comfort food--a bean soup; beef, rice, and fresh tomatoes; and a chocolate cake that was sinfully rich.

We slept late the next morning. When I went down to the reception area, I found the woman who had prepared our meal the previous evening and asked her (in Spanish, Jorge and his wife and the hotel owner, Nancy, speak perfect English but the cook and the only waiter/steward we saw spoke only Spanish) when breakfast would be served. She answered, whenever we want. I told her I would check with my wife, and subsequently asked if 9 was OK. She said yes, and then I asked if we could have coffee earlier. I went to the ATM immediately across the street to get local currency, and by the time I was back, the coffee was waiting for me to take back to our room.

In part because of the hotel's good location and in part because Nancy is her mother, Roxy picked us up at the hotel to take us to Tikal and then returned us there. The next morning we needed to leave for the airport for our flight to Belize at 6:30, and Jorge arose earlier than usual to help take our bags back down to the car (we got up early and insisted on hauling at least some of our own bags that morning. Otherwise I would have felt too pampered and definitely guilty).

We walked around the surrounding gardens and pool, although we never had time to take a swim. We also spent a good bit of time at the local shops surrounding the ATM across the street, where we watched local artisans doing all sorts of work. We found some very good bargains in their shops. Overall, we could not have asked for a better base from which to tour Tikal. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The cottages are all very reasonable. Although we have been married for quite a while, we asked for...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank turneraw

Reviewed 1 January 2014

This place has a really beautiful grounds, its like a piece of paradise. Lush vegetation, stone pathways, pools, a picturesque view of the lake and Nancy is a friendly and helpful hostess. We stayed three nights in a very comfortable villa with a thatch roof and wonderful lakeview sitting area. If you want to visit more Maya sites than Tikal, then El Remate is a much better base than Flores. There's also a bonus, Nancy's daughter Roxy is the best tour guide around for all the sites. The only point I might make is that its on a hill so there is a bit of climbing involved if you are invalid, but you probably won't be here to climb pyramids anyway if you are.
We didn't have an opportunity to sample their restaurant but there is also a good reasonable one directly across the road.

Here is some contact information
tikalnancy@hotmail.com
tikal_roxy@yahoo.com

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We made a last-minute change to stop here on the way back from Tikal, wanting to laze around a pool some more. This hotel is perfect for that - the sunset over the lake is breathtaking and the pool is a lovely surprise at the top of the property. I agree that the owners don't bend over backwards to accomodate - we had to find the pool ourselves, weren't sure about meals, etc. But when we asked questions they worked hard to answer them in spite of our communication barriers. We paid the extra money for the A/C, which worked great. The room was very spacious with a sitting area, and decorated thoughtfully.There was loud music from a lakeside fiesta when we were there, but I think that was due to Semana Santa, so unlikely a regular occurrence.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2013

The property and rooms are gorgeous, the views beautiful and the owners couldn't be more friendly and helpful. It made the entire place seem so comfortable, like being at home.

We used this place as a launching spot to Tikal and Flores. We spent the mornings and evenings here and otherwise were on the road.It was a good location and there were a number of very good local restaurants to sample.

The rooms are very nicely furnished with beautiful cabinets, hangings, and tapestries. I felt it was excellent value.

Room Tip: We didn't have much trouble with noise, but be careful. The bungalow we stayed in was a multi-ro...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CABigBob
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Each room has has its own building. My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon, it was very romantic, they have peacocks roaming around the grounds, it was quiet, clean and everyone was very friendly.

Room Tip: They have 3 "styles" of room, First is the high end, then there is a middle range.. we sta...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple