“Incredible View of Lake Peten”

La Mansion del Pajaro Serpiente
Ranked #4 of 12 El Remate B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 October 2014

We stayed in Villa #4 and enjoyed the sunset over Lake Peten. It's high on the hill so the view of the lake was great!
The owner and his staff were ready for us and very accommodating. They offered us a different room at the same price to accommodate our kids which was really nice. We played in the pool after a long drive from Rio Dulce. It's really deep and the rocks were fun for my kids to jump off of!
The rooms are not fancy. Bring some ear plugs because there are nearby dogs and roosters that were antagonizing each other for a good part of the night. But they were very clean.
The breakfast is minimal so don't count on a breakfast. But it was good.
We enjoyed the attention of the owner, especially their pug Dolly who made the hotel feel like home. Our boys missed our pugs!

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We arrived during a downpour of rain and received a warm welcome. We stayed in the honeymoon suite which was the same price as other aircon rooms. It was a tough hike up to the room with steps and grass but you are rewarded with a beautiful view of the lake with total privacy and its own pool. The gardens are very well kept and you can the see the owners take great pride in the grounds.

The room had a 4 poster bed, a single bed, 2 couches, table, chairs and a fridge so it was very comfortable. However there was no hot water or WiFi. For this reason I don't think it was good value for the room. You could get a better deal. I would highly recommend staying in El Remate when visiting Tikal as you get to swim in the beautiful lake and there are a few good restaurants. It is peaceful and very easy get a taxi or shuttle to the ruins, less than a half hour drive.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EireCouple
Reviewed 2 February 2014

we stumbled upon this quiet beautiful Hotel our hosts Nancy and Jorge were so friendly and welcoming . Their place is neatly manicured and even have peacocks on the property . It is just a pleasure to wake up and enjoy the view from your balcony while sipping your coffee. The rooms were nicely appointed and very reasonable . we ventured into Tikal twice and to Flores as a rainy day trip . we suggest getiing money direct from a walk in bank to avoid card fraud , which runs huge down in Central America.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank fiddles
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This was a delightful and welcoming retreat. Our group had to change plans due to wet roads elsewhere, and landing here was a wonderful experience. Nancy is a very welcoming host.
We enjoyed the grounds abounding in plants and flowers, the price of the great view is that it is on the hillside, so the walkways are for the able bodied. Thatched roofs on small cabins.
I also enjoyed the pool up above the cabins.

Room Tip: If mobility is a problem get a room close to the dining area
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here when we toured the ruins at Tikal with Roxy Ortiz. We flew from the US into Flores, where the hotel had arranged for a taxi to meet us at about 7:30 p.m. By the time we cleared customs and got to El Remate it was around 8:30. Because we did not know how late we might be arriving, we had asked if the hotel could provide dinner for us and they said of course. That began a pattern of the customer service we received.

When we arrived with our luggage, we were prepared to check into the hotel, take our bags to the room, and then eat, hopefully before we were too sleepy to eat it. Instead we were immediately seated, and Jorge, the manager, hauled all our luggage up to our cottage while we sat drinking water and Gallo beer. If I hadn't been so tired from the long flight I might have felt guilty. They asked if we wanted chicken or beef, and soon were served a nice Guatemalan dinner that I would call comfort food--a bean soup; beef, rice, and fresh tomatoes; and a chocolate cake that was sinfully rich.

We slept late the next morning. When I went down to the reception area, I found the woman who had prepared our meal the previous evening and asked her (in Spanish, Jorge and his wife and the hotel owner, Nancy, speak perfect English but the cook and the only waiter/steward we saw spoke only Spanish) when breakfast would be served. She answered, whenever we want. I told her I would check with my wife, and subsequently asked if 9 was OK. She said yes, and then I asked if we could have coffee earlier. I went to the ATM immediately across the street to get local currency, and by the time I was back, the coffee was waiting for me to take back to our room.

In part because of the hotel's good location and in part because Nancy is her mother, Roxy picked us up at the hotel to take us to Tikal and then returned us there. The next morning we needed to leave for the airport for our flight to Belize at 6:30, and Jorge arose earlier than usual to help take our bags back down to the car (we got up early and insisted on hauling at least some of our own bags that morning. Otherwise I would have felt too pampered and definitely guilty).

We walked around the surrounding gardens and pool, although we never had time to take a swim. We also spent a good bit of time at the local shops surrounding the ATM across the street, where we watched local artisans doing all sorts of work. We found some very good bargains in their shops. Overall, we could not have asked for a better base from which to tour Tikal. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The cottages are all very reasonable. Although we have been married for quite a while, we asked for...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple