“Weekend in Sol Umag”
Review of Sol Umag

Sol Umag
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Umag
Reviewed 9 August 2017

We have decided to spend longer weekend at sea side and as Umag was closest we have ended up in Sol hotel. We were couple paying 165Euro per night (incl breakfast) so for such price I would expect bit different standard. Hence my review is comparing value for money.

Our room was located on mezzo floor (between ground and first floor) at the end of the corridor without balcony, facing the hotel entrance. The main problem was that room smelled bad. We tried to resolve with opening of window which did not help much.

Sunbeds at pool were for free but all reserved by the time we woke up. Although people reserved sunbeds from early morning, they did not show up. For sunbeds at sea side the hotel required additional money.

Brekfast time - hotel is large with many guests which is resulting in several obstacles - coming later there was a problem to find clean table, tables are close to each other, silverware we have collected from other tables. Coffee was not drinkable so the only other option was to order and pay for decent coffee at hotel bar.

I did stay in hotels of such category before and my review would be different if the price would be comparable to this standard. However I have recently stayed in hotels in Italy and Spain for similar price but standards much above what I have experienced in Sol hotel.

On positive side - staff was very helpful and friendly, sea was clean - so overall if I get a better bargain I would have no problem to visit this hotel for a weekend again.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
GeneraManagerITU, Manager at Sol Umag, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Dear Mariska884,

Thank you for choosing our hotel Sol Umag for your stay.

I am glad that you took some of your time and shared your experience with other travellers, I am sure that your comments will be helpfull for our future guests.

I woul lik eto thank your for your comments, because your suggestions are extremely important for us and they represent a guiding line regarding the improvement of our service. We assure you that we will continue working on the modernisation of our facilities and that we will not cease to look for the way to make you feel as pleasant as possible at our place just like at your own home.

Also, I would like to use this oportunity to apologise to you for all the possible inconveniences that you might have had because of it during your stay and I hope that they will not prevent you for visiting us again.

Once again thank you for your comments and compliments. Compliments regarding our staff makes us very happy and they are an encouragement and a motivation for our future work.

Best regards from Umag.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

Thank you to all the staff at Sol Umag Kids' Club, who were very welcoming to our daughter Nell. Activities included crafts, games, mini disco and pool activities. These fun activities really made her holiday!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Lee M
GeneraManagerITU, Manager at Sol Umag, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2017

Dear Lee M,
Thank you for being our guest in hotel Sol Umag.
I am so glad that your daughter enjoyed in our children activities and that made her holiday exceptional.
Thank you for your compliments about our Mini Club and staff.
Wish you and your family all the best and special greetings to Nell from our animation team.

Reviewed 22 July 2017

We stayed at the Sol Umag Residence for 3 nights in July 2017 as a family of 4. The hotel was a great location right on the beach. It was nice surprise to find a sandy beach in Croatia. There were plenty of beach bars and amenities within walking distance. We booked a family room with balcony (B&B) which was actually 2 connecting rooms with separate balconies. The children loved having their own room but ideally one large room with one balcony with enough chairs for us all to sit together would have worked better.
The hotel offers free parking and free wifi which worked consistently on all our devices. The card security system used to enter the block and the hotel room is good. The bathroom was small and clean and the balcony is a good size. The beds were comfortable but only a bedside lamp on one side for some reason. Plenty of space for clothes and to store the suitcase. The breakfast buffet was ample with a wide choice covering everything you could wish for. Tip: The flask of filter coffee is far nicer than anything from the coffee machine. The bar staff were attentive and friendly but the Reception staff could have been a bit more friendly and welcoming. The pool is smaller than it looks on the pictures and if you go in the afternoon there is no chance of getting a sunbed but this is the same at many hotels. The shuttle bus to Umag runs about every 20 mins although the hotel fails to mention there is a charge. This is 20 kuna for adults and 10 kuna for children one way which doesn't seem a lot, but 1 return trip each day for a family of 4 for 7 nights would cost you 840 kuna (£100). The hotel was busy during our stay due to a tennis tournament nearby as we asked to move to a higher floor, not ground but could not. There was also a party night on our first night somewhere very close by as we could still here this at 4am! We didn't use the spa facilities or restaurant for an evening meal so cannot comment. The food at the pool bar was good with friendly staff. Overall a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view otherwise you get the car park
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank cheryl w
GeneraManagerITU, Manager at Sol Umag, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2017

Dear cheryl w,

Thank you for choosinh Sol Umag Residence for your stay.

The whole team of hotel is extremely happy that you have had a nice holiday here.

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travellers around the world, I am sure that your comments and tips will be of great help for our future guests.

Hope that you had nice time with us and that you will visit us again.

Best regards from Umag.

Reviewed 10 June 2017

Room Tip: Bring slippers, a bath towel, tissues and earplugs.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Jet2holidays
GeneraManagerITU, Manager at Sol Umag, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2017

Reviewed 7 June 2017

I spent a week here in early June 2017. My first impressions were good, check-in was quick and straightforward, my room was clean and well equipped. Overall I had a very relaxing time, spending most mornings by the sea after breakfast, before heading off to town for browsing, shopping and lunch. The food in the hotel is really very good and the range of food on offer is extremely wide and varied. Even the most fussy of eaters could never be disappointed by the choice; personally I eat anything. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly in all aspects of the hotel; the dining room, the personnel looking after the sun lounges but especially the staff on reception. My room was cleaned daily, my towels and bed linen were also changed regularly, so no complaints there. Ok, so everything positive so far and really there are no negatives. But, if I were to offer advice to the manager it would be this: the hotel was very quiet on my arrival so the hotel was quite empty. However the range of dishes was still incredibly varied. When the hotel got busier, on Friday, I detected that the quality of the food improved; not that it was poor beforehand. Maybe it would be better to restrict the choice somewhat if the hotel is less busy and serve them to the higher standard that I experienced during the latter part of my stay. I must emphasise that I was never disappointed with the food. All in all I had a very positive experience staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
GeneraManagerITU, Manager at Sol Umag, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2017

Dear TDOG_TonyS,

Thank you for choosing our hotel Sol Umag for your stay and for sharing your experience and tips with all the travellers worldwide , I am sure that they will be very useful for our future guests.

I would like to thank you for your compliments about our hotel and services, they are very big motivation for us and our further work.

Also, thank you for all your constructive comments that you presented to us. You can be sure that they have been taken into consideration and forwarded to right persons.

I hope that your stay was pleasant and that you will visit us again soon,
Until then greetings from Umag.

Lena Petrović Mance