“No frills Local and good food”
Review of Big Island Grill

Big Island Grill
Ranked #20 of 299 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 9 January 2018

While visiting with friends who live on the island they were excited to take us to a local restaurant for breakfast. Now, we all know that the locals know the best places to eat and Big Island Grill was no exception. My husband had a typical eggs and bacon breakfast I opted for more of an island traditional breakfast. It was soup with shrimp and other good tasting greens the portion was so big I could have swam in the bowl. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the dish. But I'm sure all you'll need to say is morning soup with shrimp.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,237)

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

This is not a fancy restaurant nor is it tourist infested. We were greeted with happy faces and was able to get a table right away for our party of 7. The food definitely satisfied our hunger after our flight to our the island. The Korean Chicken was mouth watering and steak my ordered was also pleasing to the tastebuds.

Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

Super nice people including wait staff and manager! Food limited to heavy or greasy food like loco moco (sushi rice topped with different meats), eggs and brown gravy. Chicken katsu is panko breaded chicken. Both were good but we felt weighted down and heavy for this climate - wanted a nap afterwards! If you like this kind of food, go for it! Restaurant appears to be operating out of a defunct McDonald’s. Traffic is a bear around there too.

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

We found this place on a best of kind of list. The food was good but really great. I had the chicken finger kind of thing and my wife had the teriyaki chicken. The chicken was great as it had good flavor and loved the way it was grilled. The pineapple close slaw was very good. Not sure we would go back.

Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

I had the short ribs, which were excellent. My wife had the saiman, which was also good. Great service.