“Excellent location, reasonable facilities”

The Maxwell Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #8 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I stayed on work for 2 nights earlier this month. If location were the prime consideration, this hotel should have been in Seattle's Top 10. A block away from the local supermarket and drugstore that are open 24 hours, 5-6 blocks away from famous Pike Place and about 2 blocks away from the all-seeing Space Needle & EMP Museum are just some of the attractions. Local city buses and taxis are available in plenty. Elliott Avenue, the Cruise Terminal and the piers are also merely 10 blocks away.
You've gotta love the free Pineapple cupcakes and coffee in the lobby as well as the complimentary umbrellas and WiFi in the room, not to mention a few bicycles available from the Front Desk.
I took a standard room on the 4th floor with a view of the Space Needle. Comfortable, spacious and well furnished. Bathroom has plenty of space too and is adequately equipped. Security conscious folks will be pleased that you need a valid key card to access the elevators.
Front Desk staff were always eager to assist, knowledgable and friendly. Late check out at 1pm was no problem for both our rooms and the Town Car to the airport was competitively priced and VERY comfortable.
My only gripes are: no breakfast (small but well priced coffee outlet in the lobby) and no bell men to help with luggage. However, now that I know, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floor street facing rooms will have a lovely view of the Space Needle.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 March 2012

What a wonderful hotel. The front desk staff was super helpful. Excellent hospitality! Rooms were clean, modern and stylish. View of spaceneedle was nice, though the powerlines right outside our window were a bit hard to overlook. Pool is really small, though never busy so it was completely fine with out three kids. Water was warmer than most hotel pools. High level of security. Need pass to get in and out of parking garage and to access hotel room floors. Unlike most hotels in downtown Seattle, this was not a decaying building trying to be more than it is. HVAC was super quiet. Location is about a 10 minute walk away from the Spaceneedle, if you are walking with young children. Easy access to the monorail, and the hotel has a free shuttle to take you anywhere in downtown. Neighbourhood is nice, didn't feel at all uneasy walking around after dark. Would have given a full 5 stars but our window made a wierd whooshing noise as it wasn't sealed properly. Made the street noise a bit loud at times. I didn't feel it was a huge problem so we didn't complain until we left and were assured that it would be looked after. Not at all worried about having a problem like that the next time we go. It's for sure our hotel to stay at in Seattle.

Room Tip: Definately request rooms higher than the third floor
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Stayed here twice in March. The rooms are comfortable, very spacious, and decorated in a fun, bright way - not your usual blah hotel room colors and fabrics. There's even an ottoman for the armchair.They are also really well-designed. The bathrooms have extra shelving for storing toiletries, etc. There is a wall-mounted shelf in the bedroom next to the full-length mirror with an electrical outlet under it. Very handy if one of you wants to, say, dry your hair and put on make-up while your other half is taking his time in the shower. Each room provides a safe and an umbrella, but no bathrobes.
The staff was great - very friendly and helpful.
I missed having breakfast available in the hotel. Sometimes, you just want to be able to walk downstairs to eat breakfast.
When asked to complete a survey from the hotel regarding my stay, I complied and got an immediate response from the hotel manager thanking me for the review and addressing a couple of my comments. I really appreciated knowing that the hotel sees and reads the reviews and that they take the time to reply to their guests. Nice touch.
I'll be back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This was just a fabulous hotel! When we checked in at around 2pm, our room wasn't ready yet, so they offered us a complimentary upgrade to a suite room (with a pull-out couch). Highly recommended - but I think most of these are on the 'view' side (street side) which can be noisy and disruptive if you are a light sleeper.

My kids gasped with impressed awe when we opened the door. The decor was so bright and unique. What a real treat! The beds were awesome, as was the pull out couch. The TV was great, the fridge and microwave AND the Kureg coffee machine all got good use.

The bathroom was clean and HUGE. It was a strange set-up (if the door is open, you can see the person sitting on the toilet - yeah, so just close the door, right?!) and there's 3 different lights in there (a main light, a shower light and a makeup light). Great Tommy Bahama shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, hand soap and lotion dispensers! Neat idea to save the bottles, but too bad you can't bring them home with you!

The laminate floors were fine. Sure, a little noisier than normal, but clean. Small ironing board, but never used it. Safe and umbrella provided in the small closet.

Loved the lobby and coffee/cupcake time. I drank so much coffee at this place.

Ate at the Rock twice. LOVED this place. Great pizza, bear and lots of options for kids.

LOVED the location. Soooo close to Seattle Center (5-10 mins to the monorail for downtown access). Close to the QFC supermarket for food to stock the fridge. Close to the I-5 and I99 for fast trips to/from the hotel. Also, FREE parking underground. LOTS of parking - I don't think you'd have a problem most times. It was wide open when we were there, but it was mid-week in spring, so I am not sure what popular weekends would be like. They also have a shuttle that takes you downtown. We used it once - and they even had a booster seat for our 6-year-old.

Here's what I didn't like:

- The pool was too small, but hey - at least the have one, so that's okay I guess!
- No breakfast included, but hey - at least they have a little breakfast bar in the lobby that sells pastries and Starbucks in the AM.
- Noisy (but that was the View side of the hotel - and the view isn't really all that great).

The staff were great, the restaurant staff were AMAZING, and the facilities were really top notch. I felt safe in the area and was able to get easy access to this place (despite some construction in the area, too), so I was thrilled.

Got my 3rd night free - too! Very affordable.

The cleaning staff bugged us early (before 10am one morning and before 9am another morning), so be sure to put up your 'Do not disturb' cards on the door!

Room Tip: Get a room on the non-view side for a quieter stay.
1  Thank Pokee
Reviewed 25 March 2012

The Maxwell Hotel was a great base for our recent visit to Seattle. The teens in our group enjoyed the decor and the afternoon cupcakes; we all enjoyed the comfy beds, spacious rooms, and convenient location near the Space Needle and monorail. I especially liked the wood floors - seems so much cleaner than the usual hotel rugs. Also I was glad we didn't book a hotel right downtown as it was St. Patricks celebrations and it probably would've been quite noisy downtown. We will look forward to returning to the Maxwell's hospitality and funky decor!

1  Thank Budgetwisegal