“Gone downhill”
Review of The Chocolate Box

The Chocolate Box
Ranked #44 of 146 Dessert in Seattle
Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

I have been a very regular customer since 2012; however, the new ownership is absolutely destroying the brand and the experience.

They have removed a significant amount of the quality products and replaced them with random chotchkies. An entire section of the shop that was dedicated to various local wines and chocolates were replaced with random "Seattle" branded stuff and... Sriracha. I'm serious. I don't get the sriracha thing. However, I observed the new owner interacting with an employee and I can see where the problem is. This kind of wine and chocolate business is not what he does. So instead of leveraging what the value of this store is he is distorting it into something that he understands. For me and many of my friends this was the place we would goto whenever we wanted to entertain and needed to purchase batches of wine. We could always rely on the GM or the previous owner to to provide assistance and great advice. Beyond that my wife and I would bring out-of-Townes here for a chocolate and wine tasting, etc. It WAS a distinctive and unique place. Now it's being incrementally converted into a generic place.

There are two other wine shops in Pike Place Market. Both of them have been successful in focusing on a different aspect of the market . For example, Truffle Cafe focuses on Italian wines, etc.

Chocolate box was all about the PNW wines and chocolate. Perhaps instead of destroying what makes your shop distinctive and of value perhaps you should figure out that business and make it work.

Just a thought.

1  Thank Finocchio-bello

Reviewed 31 May 2017

Quaint little spot to stop for a sip of wine or a tasting with hot chocolate or bites of their lovely confections!!!!

Reviewed 18 January 2017

Chocolate. Chocolate. And more chocolate! Lavender hot chocolate - yum! Sweet proprietress is very helpful.

Reviewed 12 December 2016

We attended a special event here the other night but i really enjoy going to this place. It is NOT a restaurant. It is a wonderful chocolate and wine shop. Go by and have a specialty hot chocolate!...they do wine flights too and wine tastings and other special things. The staff is EXCELLENT! I try and stop by there every time when i am in Seattle. It is a wonderful place. Can't wait to go again.

Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

If you like chocolate and or wine, this is a place to visit repeatedly whether you're a local or a tourist. The gentleman who was at the hot chocolate/wine bar today was extremely knowledgable and very congenial. The woman who works there is also very helpful. The hot chocolate was creamy and delicious. The actual chocolate that we tried was also very good. They have an incredible selection of chocolates I have never seen before. Though you will pay more, The quality was very good. I am going to look forward to another cup of hot chocolate when I can return.