“Still the very best in Seattle”
Review of Canlis Restaurant

Canlis Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 4,357 Restaurants in Seattle
Price range: US$85 - US$125
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Magnolia / Queen Anne
Cross street: Haliday
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is one of the finest restaurants I have eaten at anywhere in the Pacific Northwest. It's been at the top for years, and to this day does NOT disappoint. The experience is managed with excellence down to the smallest of details- the dining room, the views, the impeccable cuisines, the staff, the family that has owned and operated this gem for multiple generations all combine to create a 5 star dining experience. The chef's tasting menu is amazing, but I will go with a full size singe entree and appetizer next time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,055)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This restaurant is perched on a hillside overlooking Seattle. It is about a 15 minute drive from the downtown area.
It has the feeling of being in a 1950s upscale supper club. Yet it has been renovated to look current. The nighttime use at our dinner was spectacular as it was very clear for the evening.
The service from the moment you arrive at the entrance by the big fireplace until the moment you leave when the maître d' warmed our coats by the fireside was wonderful.
The food was creative, interesting and tasty. At our table we had the special Canlis salad, beets, poached oysters as appetizers. This was followed by rabbit pasta, abalone with porridge. For our main courses we had New York strip steak and lamb. The desserts were also tasty with chocolate and orange soufflé.
We finished with homemade macaroons.
Overall one of the best dining experiences I have personally had in a very long time. I should also mention that I was enthralled with the piano player who played the entire evening and did a wonderful job. Our waitress wonder who is been there for 31 years was a delight.
If you're looking for a wonderful evening out in a great place with great views, great people and great food, then this is your kind of place.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We've been coming to Canlis for 40 years. Last night was a fail. We were there with a party of 16 but am speaking only to my wife and my experience. We were there as guests but, ironically, Canlis was selected by the host on my recommendation.

My wife ordered her filet rare. About 8 or 10 others at the table also ordered the filet. Sadly, we didn't take a picture but my wife's filet was gray in color and about 1/2 the size (like 1" thick versus 2" thick) of the others. The steak had not been grilled - it almost looked like it had been microwaved. Everyone else's looked great and appetizing and RARE. When she cut into hers, it was tough. It tasted bland. My wife didn't want to say anything but this just was not acceptable.

I went out of the private room to talk to our server but ran into a manager. I explained what was on my wife's plate and he said he would talk to our server. The server came in and she said "so you are disappointed with your meal" (really bad way to address a cooking fail) and sort of put my wife on the spot. I interjected and asked that they bring a replacement that looked liked the other filets on the table. 5 minutes or so later, she delivered a second plate and what she delivered was a rib eye and not a filet that had been cut in half with one half turned on end to, I guess, show us it was properly prepared. Which it wasn't - it was somewhere between medium and medium rare. My wife and I each took a bite and it was blah. And also overcooked but this time, at least, grilled.

All of this played out quietly but the couple across from us asked what meat was on her plate and if my wife was on a special diet! Yeah, she's on the "get a crappy meal and service at an expensive restaurant" diet.

This was a fail - the filet was miserable, the server was somewhat combative, the replacement was unacceptable. And nobody at Canlis asked us if we were satisfied.

2  Thank kerrybP1667VD
Reviewed 28 January 2018

Canlis is an elegant restaurant with a refined ambiance and gourmet offerings. Our waiter treated us royally. We had a window table overlooking the lights reflecting on the Lake. A piano accompanied dinner at just the right volume and musical selections. Each course went with the next, and we had a special evening out with family.

Reviewed 28 January 2018

We were fortunate to be able to dine at Canlis with some friends from Alaska who go there every December. The restaurant is on a hillside and provides one of the best views in Seattle. The wine list is extensive, but they have a few wines by the glass. The four course menu seemed expensive, but it was well worth it. The starters were exquisite, the filet mignon divine, and the desserts were a work of art. The filet was excellent, perfectly cooked and presented elegantly The Canlis family has operated this restaurant for generations and succeeds in providing the best quality in food and service. The servers are incredibly professional with years of experience. Newcomers start in the kitchen for a year before moving to the floor as an assistant server and finally being promoted to main server. Thus, your server is a skilled professional with great knowledge of the menu and ingredients and the ability to serve your meal perfectly. After dinner, we were treated to a tour of the restaurant and learned much about the history of the Canlis family and the restaurant. As others have noted, this is very special place for special occasions. It is easy to understand why this is one of the highest rated restaurants in Seattle. We had a magnificent dining experience.