“Are we in France?”

Price range: US$31 - US$40
Neighbourhood: Lake Union
Neighbourhood: Lake Union
Reviewed 22 June 2009

I dunno about you. But being dismissed, ignored, eye-rolled, condescended to ruins my evening. Food was all right and the wine pairings were tolerable. But $140 for two, who had to leave mid-meal because one of us got sick? Hardly a good deal.

Reviewed 12 February 2009

WOW! I'm still clinging to the memory of my dinner at Elemental. Throw yourself on the mercy of the chef. You WON'T be disappointed. (Do plan on a 3 - 4 hour meal...)

Reviewed 4 December 2008

I had been wanting to go here for a while, even though I don't live in Seattle (I get there a few times a year for business and to visit friends). I had heard about the no reservations and that it may be difficult to get in - we went early on a Thursday evening and had to problem. Phred (one of the owners) greeted us warmly but simply upon entry - there's the coat rack, sit where you like, we'll be right with you. We were brought small glasses of madeira and the best popcorn we'd ever had (spicy, nutty). He asked us if we wanted to see a menu or put ourselves in his hands. We were up for an adventure, so we just left it to him. He did, to his credit, ask if there were any food allergies or preferences. Four hours and 10 courses later, we were discussing how amazing and fantastic the whole thing was - the food, the ambiance, the wine...
Contrary to the experience of others, the couple of times we asked about the wine, he told us. He didn't go on a 10 minute dissertation - it was minimalist. And in a world of SUVs and consumer culture and getting way more than one needs, the service was great. Plates were expeditiously removed and reset. A trick I quickly learned: if you like the wine in your glass, and he comes to clear the table - just keep your hand on the glass. When I did this, he didn't even try to remove it, or ask to remove it. He just waited until it was empty.
This place is definitely a different type of restaurant - but still [-] fantastic.

1  Thank mjg007
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 6 November 2008

great experience, great food with perfect wine pairings

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 1 May 2008

We had a really hard time finding this restaurant, which is in a condo complex with no signage. So when we finally did, it was getting quite late and we hoped we could still get in. We did, and the menus were presented, and this was our first sign that this was a bit out of the ordinary. They were slate tablets with handwritten menu choices, and because it was dimly lit, they were presented with a little maglight (flashlight). Most everything sounded good, so the waiter (who turned out to be the owner and sommelier) said if we couldn't decide, why not give up control and let him decide - he'd bring us a large selection of the menu items that we could share and he'd pair the wines with each dish. It was my daughter's birthday, so altho this sounded expensive, we thought - may as well. What a great choice. I think we had at least 10 items, plus a selection of deserts. I have read reviews that the owner is rude, but I think he's just abrupt and hasn't any interest in small talk like most waiters who placate you (kiss your [--]) Which was fine by me. I didn't find him rude at all. He brought a substantially pour of a different wine for each course. We like wine, but he would not tell us what kind of wines they were. He was mysterious. He'd say 'it's a white, from the Rhine Valley' then dash away. When the next course came, he'd wisk away our glasses and replace them with a new selection, even if we made a weak protest - 'but we're not done with that wine yet' - This sort of behavior made us roll our eyes a few times, but the food; ah, the food made it all better. Fresh and inventive ingredient combinations, served beautifully and most every item was absolutely delectable. The chef is the other owner and the wife and she made appearance at our table every once in a while to discuss ingredients. Finally after about 2 hours of endless deliciousness and really way too many glasses of wine, we got complimentary shots of tequila for the birthday celebration, and that was it. We couldn't have taken any more if we tried. I prepared myself for the bill, which I thought could run $200, 300 or even more - I mean we must have had 20 or 30 glasses of wine - but to my amazement, it was $130.00. I was so surprised I questioned if the bill was correct - and also, hey, there's no line for the tip. I was told they do not accept gratuity. What? Who ever heard of that? So, it was a very interesting night, and the food was awesome. I think we were just lucky to get a table and the whole experience was so unusual, that I might try them again if I'm in the neighborhood. But I can see how this might not be everyone's cup of tea. So if you are up for the adventure, do it for the food!

3  Thank MT_Kim