“Outstanding Day”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$138.99*
and up
Black Canyon Hike and Desert Hot Springs Day Trip...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a full service outdoor adventure company. Our trips include kayaking, canoeing, stand-up-paddle boarding, hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, ATV tours and horseback riding. Our adventures are available in areas such as Zion, Bryce, and the Grand Canyon as well as the entire Lake Mead National Recreation Area. We specialize in guided trips from beginner to advanced, but we also have self guided trips, equipment rentals, wilderness medicine courses, and lessons available in most all of the disciplines. We have availability daily with free transportation from the Las Vegas strip available with all of our guided tours. We also have corporate and large (15+) group tours available.
Reviewed 18 October 2017

"canoe trip"
"boy scouts"
"van ride"

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Desert Adventures came as advertised on their website. We booked the Black Canyon single day kayak trip on the Colorado River. Very helpful when calling to make our reservation. Pick up and drop off at our Vegas hotel was super convenient.
Antonio was an amazing guide and super knowledgeable!! He knows his stuff, is dedicated to learning as much as he can and sharing his knowledge in a very endearing way.
Starting the trip at the base of the Hoover Dam was inspiring enough, stopping for short hikes and to sit in hot spring "hot tubs" during the trip was so cool. Words can't do this trip justice. You have to experience it for yourself.
*It is a day of kayaking (you will have to paddle) and some hiking...make sure you are up for the challenge.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

About once per year for the last few years, I paddle with a group I put together from Hoover Dam to Willow Beach. I ALWAYS choose Desert Adventures for the rentals, transport, and permitting for the self-guided trips. The office staff is very professional and friendly and very flexible given that when dealing with the logistics of groups, sometimes things can change a lot. Our driver on a recent trip (10/1/17) was Antonio and he was excellent - friendly, efficient, and knowledgeable about the area.
Desert Adventures is HIGHLY recommended.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

I visit Vegas a lot and throughout the years we have made it a point to try out different adventures away from the Strip. This year, we decided to take to the water (in the desert, who knew) and see what adventures we could find.

The good:

* You don't need to have experience to do this. I had never even been in a kayak before, so I wasn't at all an expert. It took about 2 minutes to get used to the feel and I was on my way.

* It's your own adventure to decide. I LOVED this part (but I'll explain a little more later as well). You have about 9 hours of time to explore, so you can go wherever you want - for as long as you want. We climbed cliffs, explored caves, rested, everything. No rush, no interruptions - just nature.

* The scenery was everything you'd expect from a travel book. I took so many pictures. Everything was amazing.

* The weather was hotter than Hades (107 officially, likely 115 in the canyon) - but we still felt like it was enjoyable. The water was cold (60 ish degrees), so you could always roll into the water to cool off. I debated going when the outside temps were cooler, but that cool water might not be as welcoming if you were trying to stay warm at the same time. The mix was great.

* 9 hours is PLENTY of time to explore, without feeling like it never ends.

The bad:

* Don't go into this if you don't want a workout. 11+ miles is still a long way and there isn't a ton of current. Further, to get into some of the more interesting places, you will need to climb. You don't need gear or anything, but if you aren't that mobile - it will restrict what you can do.

* The guides. I debated how to put this on here, as we didn't pay for a guide. You have the option to upgrade to a guide driven tour, and most did actually that. However, if you don't - you are still mixed in during pickup and drop off. Several times there was a comment about the other group being their "guests" and that we needed to sit in the back and such. It didn't really scratch too much of an itch, but at the same time - I did pay the exact same company for the experience. It made you feel like a second class citizen, and I felt like they continually reminded us that we didn't pay for a guide (which was exactly why I booked with them to begin with). It wasn't rude, per se - but it was a bit disappointing. They were super great guys, but it seemed like we weren't the cool kids at lunch time.

That minor situation aside - this was a great trip. Be sure to bring PLENTY of water and snacks (we went to a local store down the road and loaded up a flex cooler on the way). There are no real bathrooms and no spots to just get food that you forgot. You bring what you consume. But keep it light - you also carry what you bring.

In any case - well worth double the price. It's an experience that I cant compare to much. If you've ever want to get dropped off at the bottom of Hoover dam and see where the river takes you - this is 100% your trip!