“Awesomeness on the top”
Review of La Gismonda

La Gismonda
Reviewed 31 January 2017

I had a trip by myself here and my stay was more than pleasant. The staff was incredibly nice, the food was amazing and the environment was everything I wanted. A must have piece of the wonderful Italy.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 August 2016

La Gismonda is a working farm with beautiful views and a welcoming family. Guilia and Enzo speak English well and were able to answer any and all of our questions and concerns. Enzo picked us up at the train station. Guilia and her mother prepared several meals for us that were authentic and delicious. We actually elected to spend our 30th anniversary enjoying Della's amazing cooking. Enzo was truly an enjoyable conversationalists who shared many tid-bits in reference to modern Italian history relevant to the area with us on several accounts. Our suite was large and clean and was equipped with a fan that worked fine for us as the weather was beautiful. The inn was completely full and we found it to be quiet and quaint. We enjoyed the pool daily in solitude. Guilia and her mother provided us with a ride into town while the very friendly local taxi driver, Angelo dropped us off at the end of the day for a nominal fee. If you're looking for a 5 star accommodation, this is not for you. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at La Gismonda.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2016

What a mixed bag I have to share on this one! I don't like to be negative when such hard work is evident.
I even asked my daughter (13) and husband for their top 5 and bottom 5, so here goes,

The Awesome bits ....

+Beautiful building, appears centuries old but was built after 2000!!
+Arrived At night. Good road signage along their DARK road.
+Lovely welcome (including the friendly docile dog, Mou)
+Whatsapp communication at all times, which was helpful when we were on route.
+Guilia (I hope that I have the spelling correct!) and her parents, work SO VERY hard. They are welcoming to all guests. With every request we were met with a smile and help.
+Guilias English (& other languages)is awesome!!
+Plenty of parking (see cons though)
+Beautiful views from the villa/pool stretch for miles
+rocking chairs at pool were a nice touch
+sunbeds and chairs provided (many were replaced during our stay)
+There was a large private terrace in our room (galla) overlooking the woods
+the owners have Mou the dog, Romeo the cat, loads of chickens, geese and pigs. The sounds of the birds made the serenity even nicer
+They grow their own produce! The tomatoes are lush. We were even given a bag to take away!

'Meh' moments
:/ Air con : It works (it makes the right noises), however, it was set by owners at 25 degrees :( they offered it free for us. This could be the reason. BUT The room was always hot :( I did not sleep one night of the 10 :(
:/The Animal 'thing' : If you are an animal lover, bring your animal! Everyone brings their dogs! HOWEVER, I am NOT an animal lover. They are OK, if kept under control.
I do NOT like owners with no consideration for others! The incessant barking is unacceptable.
The rules of the Villa are "NO pets at the pool" .. nobody read it or noted it at all!!
I got out of the pool twice because people had their dog IN THE POOL, swimming! OUTRAGEOUS!
:/ Sat Nav is needed. The location is VERY REMOTE!
:/random, stray dogs and cats appear from nowhere, regularly :(
:/The flight path from Roma is overhead. Didn't bother me, but may bother some.

The bad bits....
General
-there are NO public toilets, I mean "at all" .. We had to revisit our room, whether dripping wet from pool or during breakfast(?). It would take minimal effort to rectify this inconvenience :(
-wifi signal is weak, unless you are at the breakfast area. Booster needed.
-arriving in the dark is not good. Insufficient outside lights, on their land, for car park & pathways (not even sensor lights). The wires can be seen, just no light bulbs attached yet!
-for such a newish build it is designed with many problems, uneven surfaces outside, stairs and steps and many other things that could be solved with some time and effort.
-The car park is down a steep unpaved slope
-The pool is near to the building but only accessed via a very steep slope
-the playground equipment needs replacing, or removing

Room
-the bed was the most uncomfortable that I have ever slept in (And I am travel writer, so I've slept in many!)
-the maid, sometimes, made both beds!
-Pillows (1 each) seem to just be a flat, very heavy, foam chunk
-Sparse furniture in room. Not enough storage for 3.
-bathroom had a bath, with a handheld shower. Not acceptable, given the rest of the rooms had showers.

Pool
-there is a sign to say NO pets at the pool. Guests do not care and I had to share my pool time with DOGS!! This is unacceptable!
-there is no wifi at the pool
-pool is not heated, even in August (26-30degrees) the water was COLD in the mornings until 1300hours or later

To Guilia, mama and papa....
The son should either NOT be there or he should work as hard as everyone else.
... When we were lugging 4 suitcases and loads of bags up and back down to/from the car he just stood and watched. No offer to assist at all!!

... The brother/son often stood and watched or often laid around the pool with the guests! Sorry Guilia/Mama/Papa, this is not acceptable, he needs to work harder or not be there. It was disrespectful and embarrassing to see him sit with guests at breakfast whilst his mother served people.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
DirezioneGismonda, Proprietario at La Gismonda, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2016

Dear Guest,

thanks for the review and all the compliments on the building, etc..

Please allow me to make some clarifications:

I’m afraid that you have mistaken one of the guest, a single man, with my brother (he has the same build/haircut etc), …so:
I would like to specify that the man you saw sitting by the pool alone, “watching”, was one of the guest....and NOT a member of the family/staff…
I understand it may have been unnerving for you, but he had all the right to sit by the pool.
… I suppose he was also the man sitting at the breakfast table…

“The Animal 'thing'”:
we are an agriturism that is a farmhouse, so it's normal to find animals, from chickens to dogs and cats; we are also a pet friendly establishment so it's likely that other guest can bring their own dogs.

We are aware that not everybody likes dogs/cats going around and that is why:
our facility is not recommended to guests who are afraid or don't like dogs or other animals.

That said: We don’t usually have so many dogs “guests” as we had this August.

Being a travel writer you may know that every year the standard traveller change….
This year was the “family with dogs” year.

“The Brother/son 'thing'”:
As previously explained I'm afraid you mixed the single man guest with my brother and also:
He is not an employee in this facility and he is not allowed to work on the premises.

Kind Regards
Giulia

Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

Nice place, quiet, clean, fin with the animals there, nice view and friendly staff. We booked a dinner one evening, which was huge and very nice, real authentic. It is a fine retreat and it is very close to the city and Lake of Bracciano. I have no problem to highly recommend this place to others.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2016

This agriturismo is difficult to reach but it is situated on a beautiful location near the lago di bracciano. the building is beautiful (though the walls between the rooms are so thin that one hears one's neighbors' voices as though they were in the same room) and the swimming pool is great. Unfortunately, the people who run the place are extremely unpleasant: they evidently consider clients not as guests for whom they wish to offer the most enjoyable stay possible but rather as sources of money or of annoyance or of both. They charge extra for incidentals that are free elsewhere, like air conditioning or a second cup of coffee at breakfast. The wifi worked almost never; the fan in the room did not work at all. As long as the people who run this place do not change their attitude (or themselves), this is a place to be avoided.

Room Tip: To select a good room, go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Glenn M
DirezioneGismonda, Proprietario at La Gismonda, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

Dear Guest,
thanks for review!
But please, let me make some clarifications:
- the last time we asked for an extra at breakfast for coffee was last year...and only because the couple asked for 4 cappuccinos and 3 double espressos... so yes we charged extra.
So there is something inaccurate in your story....
- as it was crearly written in your reservation air conditioning is NOT included with the price because not all the rooms have it so why should other guests pay for a service only you can enjoy?
- It may comes as a shock for you but this is a place of business and not a charity so, yes, we charge extra for amenities that are not included in the standard rate.

Last but not least...
- your room was a last minute deal reservation at € 99,00/night for 4 persons with: international breakfast, parking, swimming pool and lake view...and you have to ask why we charge extras for amenities that other places gave for free?!