Charles Hotel(Cambridge)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$229
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Irving House at Harvard(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$255
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$230
US$207
  • Free Breakfast
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 June 2012

My wife and I stayed at this location for four nights last week. We were in room number 2 (of 3).

Pros:

For us, a great location for a visit to Boston. We did not drive, but got passes good for 7 days on the subway and buses. Even though we were only there four days, the passes very easily paid for themselves - and it was very convenient to not have to buy tickets every time we used the "T". They were $15 each. It states elsewhere that it's a five-minute walk to the subway. I'm being a tad picky here, but, at a normal walking pace, it's about 8 minutes... which was fine with us.

We always felt safe - both at the house's location and on our walks to and from.

As mentioned in other reviews, the house is very nice... very well maintained.

Despite no breakfast being supplied, the price is extremely reasonable for any convenient location in the Boston area - WAY cheaper than any price I could get on Priceline in a hotel (and I'm very good at finding such deals - but not on this trip!).

*******************************************************************************

Cons:

Another reviewer or two noted that, in room number 2, there is a step down as you enter the room. The platform onto which you step is about a yard square - and it really does intrude into the room. Honestly, one or the other of us stumbled or hit our ankles on it 3 or 4 times within our first 20 minutes in the room! It's really a safety issue and something needs to be done before someone takes a fall and really injures themselves. The solution that worked for us was to actually place a chair right in the middle of it and a wastebasket on the side we were most likely to approach it from...

I was asleep at about 10 PM one evening when the phone in our room rang. It was someone trying to reach the owner... evidently a friend... who said she must be "out of town". It seems to me there should be no chance of being disturbed in our room by a personal call.

AC issue. The first night, especially, was very cool - and I like cool... but it had to be no more than 65 degrees. The problem is that, according to the information left for guests, the AC is controlled by a thermostat within Room #1 - and it's suggested that, if a guest is uncomfortable, they ask the guests in that room to adjust the temperature. For obvious reasons, not an elegant solution.

***********************************************************************

On balance, the plusses were huge and the minuses relatively minor. There's no question I'd recommend this place to a Boston traveler.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

We are so glad this guest enjoyed his stay! Just to address the points he raised:

1) There’s really nothing we can do to eliminate the step down into the room. However, we will look into having a small bannister installed and will also put a note on the door to alert guests of the step.
2) We have no idea why someone would have called the room looking for the owner. We are so sorry you were disturbed. The phone is for guests only and we will check to make sure the number is unpublished.
3) We agree that having the thermostat in one guest room is not ideal. We’ll see if we can have it moved out into the hallway.

We appreciate your feedback and hope you’ll stay here again the next time you visit Boston!

Reviewed 2 June 2012

I stayed at this place at the end of May. The house was beautiful, the neighbourhood was clean, safe, and only about 5 minutes to the "T". Great air conditioning, spacious room, and a great en suite bathroom!
However, the wrong set of keys were left in my room so I got locked out for an entire day. The owner of the house was away on business, so I tried calling the agency but the home phone doesn't allow for long distance calls, and when I called from my cell phone I got an automatic message saying that I was not authorized to call this number. So I e-mailed the agency and got no response. Came back after dinner, and still had no response, but luckily a neighbour was able to help let us into our room.
After I checked out two days later I got an urgent phone call AND e-mail from the agency saying that I lost a key and owed them $50 for a new key. A few hours later I got another e-mail saying that they found the key and everything was okay.
Essentially, the only way you'll ever speak to anybody at the agency is if they want something from you. If you're locked out, they don't care.

Room Tip: Room #2 was great - but I think all of the other rooms looked equally as nice.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark B
BnBBay, Owner at Cambridge Vacation Rental Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

We’re not sure why this guest had difficulty reaching our agency. There is a local number for urgent matters, listed on both the guest confirmation and next to the house phone. No one has ever reported having difficulty reaching someone at this number. We do apologize for our mistake about the key. When it looks like a key has been lost, we assess a $50 charge and make every effort to track it down right way, as this is a safety issue for future guests. As soon as we discovered our mistake, we immediately contacted this guest and did not charge him for the key. Despite these issues, we are so glad he was pleased with the accommodations and hope he enjoyed his visit to Cambridge!

Reviewed 11 May 2012

This Cambridge home was very well appointed with all the amenities of home. The neighborhood was quiet, yet close to most anything you would need. We did not drive so I cannot speak to the transportation part of parking etc. The only downside would be the house tended to be cold and the instructions said to only put the heat up if it was for extreme reasons and our room was set at 65, which did not seem reasonable to me. The TV in our room did not work, and the jacuzzi also did not work. These were not essential to us. Overall it served our purposes very well and the price was appropriate, so I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Brad S
BnBBay, Owner at Cambridge Vacation Rental Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

We’re so glad you enjoyed your stay. We wish we had been told about the TV and jacuzzi not working as we would have been happy to have these issues addressed during your stay. Also, we’re sorry the room was not at a comfortable temperature. (And agree that 65 degrees is not reasonable!) Our guess is that a previous guest may have changed the programmed temperature on the thermostat but we’ll check it. Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed 3 May 2012

This was a perfect set up for myself and my 16 year old who went to Boston to visit colleges. Very, very clean. Quiet. Parking. We stayed in room 1 which was very spacious. The house is beautiful with a lovely kitchen to use. Whole foods two blocks away.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank anywherebutiowa
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Beautiful home, comfortable accommodations - would have been preferable to have a cot for our daughter (rather than inflatable bed), but we knew that was the accommodation when we booked. Convenient to T, quiet and pleasant neighborhood. Visitors should note directions to Whole Foods say turn right when it should be left. Backyard parking is tricky - 2 tight spaces - and TV in our room didn't get reception, but these were all minor inconveniences. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family