Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$129
View deal
Expedia.comUS$129
Official HotelUS$144
Hotels.comUS$129
PricelineUS$144
TravelocityUS$129
Trip.comUS$128
All reviews porter square across the street boston area harvard square front desk cvs housekeeping gym line lobby valet
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 September 2021 via mobile

This is a very basic hotel. No frills and limited space. It’s perfect if you don’t plan on spending much time in your room. Very modern decor. The staff is friendly. The best things are that it’s right across the street from a train station, and there are lots of shops & cafes within walking distance. A great, more affordable Boston option if you’re willing to travel a little to most of the action.

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank DisneyTeacher
Reviewed 27 January 2021

I stayed in January as I was in the Boston area for a medical procedure.
Due to COVID, much of the city was closed down.

However, that didn't stop me from having a wonderful stay at Hotel 1868. It's got a real funky look to it, like cottagecore meets boutique hotel. There's all sorts of plants. I couldn't tell if they were all real. Now it's tiny. That's something you should be aware of.

The lobby is small. The hallways are small. The room is small. But it's perfect for a single traveler.

It's right across from Porter Square on the Red Line if you want to take the subway into Downtown Boston. Harvard Square isn't a long walk away. There's a 24-hour CVS across the street if you need anything. There's some decent restaurants that will deliver in the area.

But I think the best part of this place is the staff. I spoke with a manager named Meaghan who was just a gas. As we say in Maine, she's a "real hoot". She just cracks me up.

In the evening, Brian was extremely helpful and polite. He hooked me up with extra coffee. Adrian the valet was great. And Antonio who did housekeeping was so so nice.

The gym is really cool and large with many treadmills and those big yoga balls? (Is that what they're called? It sounds obscene.)

I will definitely recommend this place to friends who are looking for a good deal on a swanky hotel in a great location.

I'm definitely going to come back!

Room tip: The front can get noisy because it's right off Mass Ave but the view is better.
Date of stay: January 2021
Reviewed 20 January 2020

The location was very good, especially during cold weather. Room was clean and relatively quiet (from surrounding rooms). I am from area but when checking in, since I did not want to explain what I was doing there, clerk thought I was from out of town and then gave me loudest room by Mass Ave. intersection. I did not feel like complaining and white noise machine helped. Water pressure was extremely low in bathroom though. I stayed alone but if I had another person there, smallest room would have been too small.

Room tip: Try a room in the back of the hotel (off Mass Ave).
Date of stay: January 2020
Reviewed 13 January 2020

The rooms are small but clean and have large TVs. Complimentary water, tea, coffee. Decent gym with some free weights, pulley machines, treadmills, and ellipticals. The attached coffee shop is okay. I spent ten days there and found the housekeeping staff friendly and professional.

Date of stay: January 2020
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2020

I stayed here for 1 night and it was great! I stayed in the smaller rooms and I was nervous about the size because of some of the previous reviews but there was plenty of space. I probably wouldn't stay in a smaller room for a week with a family of four but it's definitely a great space for a couple of people for the price. The hotel is literally across the street from the T so you can't beat the location. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I can't speak to the shower because I didn't use it but I can definitely understand why people were having some of the flooding issues they described. All in all - I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. You cannot beat the price for this location.

Date of stay: December 2019