“Tasty margaritas and fajitas”
Review of Border Cafe

Border Cafe
Ranked #21 of 671 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Southwestern, Cajun & Creole, Mexican
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed 16 August 2015

Border Cafe is on my list since 1995. Over the years, I have tasted most items in the menu but I always go back to the chicken fajitas. All ingredients are fresh and the chicken grilled to perfection. They used to offer The Cadillac Fajitas (which were served with filet mignon) but that was a while ago and the price of beef isn't the same as 10 years ago. Nevertheless, they should re-introduce it, no matter what the price. Of course none can experience the Border Cafe without a basket of freshly made tortillas - they're usually still hot - and a margarita. Long live Border Cafe, please don't ever change.

1  Thank Charles B

Reviewed 13 August 2015 via mobile

This is a must go when you are in Cambridge. Extremely affordable, great atmosphere and some of the best service you will ever get definitely one of the most willing to please wait staffs I have ever seen. Never a bad meal or a bad experience. The margaritas and fajitas are amazing. A really fun place to visit and a favorite amongst the Harvard and Lesley students. Always a pleasurable meal.

Reviewed 13 August 2015

I have given high marks before, for the food and service at this place, and have been there at least 10 times in the past 4 years. But the service killed my positive experiences from the past. Food and value are good though.
We arrived at 4.20 pm on a Tuesday. Seated and served with chips and salsa with a happy server- the section we sat was empty, and therefore we were the 1st one. Then things went downhill. He took the order, came back with another server after 10 min., transferring his tasks after we had ordered the food. The new server, did not come back to our table (I think she was Pat A. according to the check). After a long 30 min wait, I called her to ask if there was any problem with our order since other customers were seated and served, even though we were the 1st in that section, with yet another server added to cover for the guy who may have been in the shift-over mode. Anyway, there was no apology or a follow-up on why the delay. She was rude, and honestly, she was not happy to be there. As the food showed up after 35 min of ordering on a Tuesday evening (sparsely crowded by the time it was 5pm), the manager came and apologized for the lack of attentiveness. This waitress(server), did not come even ones to check up, and see if we needed anything, until we had finished eating and were waiting for the check. At that point, I decided I had enough. Manager, realizing inconvenience to us with a long wait credited the appetizer ($7), but my impression on the server forced me not to tip her since she did not do anything other than packing our left overs. I hope she reads this review and put her serious effort in taking responsibility for what she does. I felt awkward not tipping, but my experience and her lack of being hospitable at all, turned me into walking out with 0 tip clearly written on the check.

1  Thank Rakesh S
Reviewed 13 August 2015

Pretty good Mexican food for the Northeast. Fantastic prices, quick seating, and a fun friendly environment. Love the unlimited free chips. A great choice if you are in the square.

Reviewed 13 August 2015

The food at this place can't be beat by anyone in the area, it's simply amazing. The restaurant isn't the prettiest and it's rather loud, but I love it anyhow. The style is really cool, and fits well with the food. The servers are really nice, and depending on your drink you'll have a refill waiting on the table already before you're halfway through your current drink. Would definitely recommend paying Border Café a visit when in the area.