“Come for the cocktails”

Price range: US$21 - US$30
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 February 2016

Green Street is a small and cozy neighborhood bar whose excellent cocktails belie its unassuming appearance. The cocktail list here will impress you when the bartender or waiter hands it to you. What you don't know is that is just a small portion of the actual cocktail list: Ask for the book, and prepare to be amazed.

The cocktails are indeed very good. I particularly like the tiki-inspired drinks but you simply can't go wrong with a mixed drink. There are also small but well-edited wine and beer selections.

The food is just ok, in my opinion. There isn't a lot of selection between the $10-20 range; it's hard to order if you want a snack but not a full-on meal. The macaroni and cheese is good, and I've really enjoyed the seasonal salad with squash and quinoa (fall/winter), but in general I prefer to drink at Green Street and drink elsewhere.

In cold-weather months, Green Street gets bonus points for being small and cozy.

Reviewed 5 January 2016

We've been there many times, it's our go-to place at the square, and most of the times the food is great. The menu changes frequently; I can't say I liked everything I had there, but I had some really great food and some decent dishes, nothing bad. I highly recommend the drinks - the mixed drinks menu is reason enough to go, probably the most creative and fun drinking experience I've had in the greater Boston area.

Reviewed 11 November 2015

Pleasant service and surroundings. Diverse menu choices with interesting cocktails. Good food. I would return.

Reviewed 29 October 2015 via mobile

This college pub is like a beautiful onion that gets more and more delicious as you peel back the layers. It has that dark wood, Ivy league feel of a rathskeller, but you immediately notice the martini glasses chilling on the bar and the 'definitely not college budget' liquors on display and beers on tap. Sitting in the bar, I was positioned to look out of the front door window. Although it was too warm, I imagined how idyllic it would look as snowflakes start falling. The food is a mix of pub and downright gourmet. I had the pumpkin soup to start, a savory elixir made more interesting with a layer of spicy pesto on the bottom, a dollop of creme fraiche and pistachios on top. I followed this with their burger which is one of the top 45 in the nation. A trip back to the restroom had me pass the open kitchen which was spotless and flowing with creativity. This was the final layer on the onion which made me realize this is indeed a special restaurant. I'm so glad I found it.

Reviewed 24 October 2015

Regardless of your college town, Green St. is like the place you remember and want to return to. We just went there for burgers. (Menu goes beyond burgers to interesting entrees and chef specials.) Good wine and large selection of beer. Reasonable prices. Good service. Appropriate ambiance.

Good choice before a play at Central Square Theater.

Make a reservation. Take the T to Central Square or bus #1 (others available).