“Great little lunch spot in Harvard Sq”

Algiers Coffee House
Ranked #312 of 646 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

Recently enjoyed an early lunch here. Quiet little cafe off the beaten path. Excellent falafel. Service was slow but friendly and as I was having a leisurely meal with an old friend it didn't signify.

Reviewed 29 May 2017

I was hear the other night with friends. We ate on the small outside deck which was pleasant. The waitress was friendly and helpful. Everything we ate was flavorful and delicious and we enjoyed our meal very much. Prices were reasonable for Cambridge.

Reviewed 24 March 2017

My wife and I have travelled Turkey and the Mideast and were excited to find a coffee house that served "Turkish" coffee. When the coffees arrived at our table in traditional warming/serving ladles our expectations were elevated. Sadly it ended there. The coffee was only OK, though a little pricey. If you are looking for a great cup of Turkish coffee, look elsewhere.

Reviewed 19 January 2017

We arrived at 11:15; they close at midnight. The restaurant is two stories. I didn't look downstairs but upstairs is dark wood, mirrors and lots of eclectic art. The tables are hexagons that can be situated abutting or separated depending on your needs. It was ok for the four of us because we sat on a corner. There were a couple of other single diners upstairs when we arrived. The server was pleasant and playful and the food came artfully arranged on the plates in a timely manner.

We arrived wanting falafels but.... the kitchen closes at 10pm so only cold food was available. We ordered the combo plate (hummus, a few olives, green salad, 2 stuffed grape leaves), the eggplant salad (baba ganoush, a few carrot sticks and pita bread), one serving of baklava and 4 teas. The hummus was the best I have ever eaten. The baba ganoush was excellent as well. We wanted chai but not the caffeine so they substituted rooibos for the black tea. Each person received their tea loose in a strainer steeping in a small stainless steel single serving tea pot. It was marvelous. I found the baklava to be too sweet but my sweet tooth is very tame.

The evening cost us $50 including tip. That's a bit steep for snacks though I will probably go back for falafels before 10 some evening.

If you found this review helpful, please press thank below.

1  Thank Wildflower01945
Reviewed 25 October 2016

Algiers is a cozy oasis, with fantastic atmosphere, food, and beverages. The falafel here is among the best I've had - not too dry and incredibly flavorful. You could sit here for hours among the Mediterranean decor and completely forget you're in the bustling Harvard square. I had the opportunity to go the last day before they closed their doors for good. I'm sad to see such a great institution disappear and will miss it.