“Massive portions, great beer, great value”
Review of Grendel's Den

Grendel's Den
Ranked #98 of 563 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Reviewed 9 November 2014

Found this place whilst wandering through Harvard Square, hidden away underneath a city-hall type building. The atmosphere is lively, but not too loud to be uncomfortable whilst eating.

We ordered the brisket and the beef au jus, and my goodness were they huge! Really delicious too. I tried two of the beers here on knowledgable recommendations from our waitress, both were great. And all of it was really good value!

Date of visit: October 2014
1  Thank PhilGorman
Write a reviewReviews (199)

Reviewed 29 September 2014

Lazy Sunday lunch on the square, service slow and easy like the day. Go and enjoy the Sunday Brunch menu.

Date of visit: September 2014
Reviewed 22 September 2014

The food was average, but we were pleasantly surprised by the prices! The Harvard Square area is typically on the more expensive side, so we were very happy to find this little gem. We just missed the happy hour half price food time, but the prices were so good that we didn't mind.

Date of visit: September 2014
1  Thank EvanMJC
Reviewed 10 September 2014

This was my third trip to Grendel's Den and I have not been disappointed. I've mainly gone there for the sandwiches and beer. Anyway, I thought it was about time I write a review. One of the things that attracted me to this place was the concept of a happy hour. Apparently, Massachusetts does not allow a happy hour on alcohol. Grendel's Den sort of get s around that by allowing half-price meals if you buy a a minimum of $3 per person. Note: this does not apply to their patio.

On this particular visit I had the Grendel, which was a roast-beef sandwich with alot of meat. I also had a Paulaner Hefeweizen. All were quite good.

Parking can be a little difficult as this is near the Harvard campus, but it is worth a trip in my opinion. Service can be a little slow depending on what day and what time you arrive.

Date of visit: August 2014
1  Thank tonytiger_13
Reviewed 5 September 2014 via mobile

I've been here a couple of times and it's a good spot for a beer and standard fare pub food. I had the Reuben which was tasty, and I heard the portobello rueben was also good. Decent beer selection as well.

They can't do half price happy hour drinks in MA, so their loophole is half price food if you get there before 7:30.