“Used to frequent Grendel's den, will never go back”
Review of Grendel's Den

Grendel's Den
Ranked #97 of 563 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Reviewed 14 March 2020

Unfortunately I am giving Grendel's den a solid one star after an experience I had there last night, March 13, 2020. I have gone there a number of times and used to love it. Me and a few of my friends decided to brave it last night and get it of the house firing the coronavirus scare. At Grendel's den, the bartender was great, happy that some people were out. A person who consumed a bit too much to drink spilled beer all over her cell phone on the bar. Being a normal, nice person, I grabbed some napkins and handed then to the guy next to me to give to the patron to save her phone. The gentleman next to me put the napkins that weren't used back in the pile that was behind the bar.

Here's why I won't go back. A good five minutes later, some woman came over to the gentleman sitting next to me asking if I was his friend. He said he had just met me during the situation with the person spilling beer all over her cell phone. This woman then proceeded to say, "don't you ever **cking stick your hand behind my bar again. That's not your **cking bar.". Ok, maybe an overreaction on her part. Being not a garbage person I said, "oh well I'm sorry I was just trying to help." "I don't f**king care, don't touch things in my bar." So, in short, apparently this person owns the bar and is really just terrible to people who visit her bar. She doesn't help when people spill beer on their phones and yells at patrons when they do help. Needless to say, if you treat your patrons like garbage, they will share their story where they can. Don't go here, the owner is not nice.

Edit: the bartender and other employees were great, they should get a job at another bar that treats their customers kindly.

Date of visit: March 2020
Write a reviewReviews (200)

Reviewed 19 December 2019

Hadn’t been to Grendel’s for many years -it still has its cosy charming atmosphere and great, varied, affordable menu. We just stopped in for a late afternoon snack - two of us split the nachos, but we are eager to return for lunch or dinner.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed 9 October 2019

We had a late lunch/early dinner after seeing SIX at ART. The spinach pie and salad were flavorful and decent portion size. The half pitcher of sangria made a few glasses.

We shared the bread pudding which was more like a slice of french toast than bread pudding.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed 4 July 2019 via mobile

Avoid this place. We left a fair tip.

I had a premonition that something could happen there as my card was taken away for a long time.

I checked my bank statement and they had decided to fraudulently award themselves a higher tip.

Not a lot of money, but there is a principal and a line they have crossed. I bet they do it all day, every day.
People please avoid this place, there are plenty of other choices nearby.

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed 11 May 2019 via mobile

We went there to have some simple but tasty food. We have been a bit scared initially by the prices. But probably the location explains that. The place is dark and noisy but that is part of the ambiance.
Dishes are small but the waiter made it very clear so no problem. And you can order them progressively.
But the key fact is that the dishes were really really good!! Tasty while delicate. Taste well balanced between ingredients. When tasting the plates, the price became a bargain (almost).
The place is a bit hard to find but if you do and if you get a table (it was full of people when we went there) then there are food chances you won't be dissatisfied!

Date of visit: May 2019