“Just as good the second time around...and in a different state!”
Review of Gyu-Kaku

Gyu-Kaku
Reserve with OpenTable
Gyu-Kaku is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #130 of 647 Restaurants in Cambridge
Reviewed 19 June 2017

Contemplating dinner while out and about, "touristing" it up, I saw that Cambridge had a Gyu-Kaku...I was taken aback, as I didn't know that Gyu-Kaku was such a big chain. Well, our family/tour guides had never eaten at a Japanese BBQ, so we decided to treat them. And now they are wanting to take another couple back the next time they come to the Boston/Cambridge area!

If you haven't tried JBBQ, you are missing out. It is fantastic, and not all that expensive for the experience. You can do a la carte, or order a "meal" consisting of meats, rice bowls, desserts, etc. The meats are well seasoned/marinated. The rice bowls are very tasty. The only thing I would say was even mildly disappointing was the dessert (we had s'mores. Part of the meal we ordered). One marshmallow. 2 graham crackers. 2 pieces of chocolate. We ended up going elsewhere to get a dessert to supplement our meal, haha. But everything was still fantastic. The service was excellent. Everything was near-identical as far as service, selection, etc. to the Gyu-Kaku we had visited before. We need one of these in Savannah, GA!

Reviewed 18 May 2017

I have never been to a Japanese or Korean barbecue, so this was a first. It was great fun to cook on the grill at the table and allowed us to try different meats and cook them to our taste. The service was excellent and the meats were fresh and nicely seasoned. I had the premium sirloin, asparagus and shiitake mushrooms. My husband had chicken, filet mignon and garlic spinach. The waiter advised us about cooking the spinah and asparagus and his directions were perfect. Our friends had the Surf and Turf for two and that came with a wide assortment of goodies. We shared some and they were great. We had a really nice experience here. The bill came to $155 with tax and tip and two wines and special water.

Reviewed 18 April 2017

You walk upstairs and the restaurant is very traditional Japanese decorated. You sit at tables with a grill in the middle. You can order a package dinner with many side dishes and meat selections. We ordered a la carte and picked many dishes from garlic noodles, edamame, vegetables, rice, scallops, filet Mignon, chicken, and shrimp. Your food comes fast on small plates raw and you cook it on the grill. They have several sauces for dipping that are all delicious. My girls were not interested on the way to the restaurant, but when they sat down and started the dinner they LOVED the experience and LOVED the food. It was a great unusual dining experience.

Reviewed 5 April 2017 via mobile

The whole family went for dinner and enjoyed very much such tasty meat on the table grill.

Recommend to order different type of meat to fill the differences...super good.

Enjoy.

Reviewed 14 February 2017

Gyu-kaku used to be such a good value! During lunch time, you can choose 2-3 meats and miso soup and a side salad and the total before tip is only like $12! Lunch is only available during the weekdays from 11-3pm now, which i discovered when i went this weekend, i guess i won't be able to take advantage of it anymore since I work a monday-friday schedule :( There's still happy hour available which ends at 5pm and restarts at 9pm until closing which is okay. From what we ordered, it was still cheaper than a regular dinner so i enjoyed that. My favorite meats are the shabu yaki, and toro beef mmm, the spicy pork is also good! The best part if you can even enjoy it after the meat and rice is the millicrepe dessert (green tea) $11. I still don't know why a bowl of white rice is $3. Come on!!!! that's ridiculous!!!!

Use opentable to earn some points when you make a reservation and use the app to earn points as well for some freebies! If you check into yelp you get a free bowl of edamame! A beer is $4.50 or a pitcher is $16. Sometimes they have specials on the drinks so keep an eye out! I love bbq because you cook your own food! It's such a blast but I'm always afraid I'll get burned!!!! The flames go up sometimes!! The spicy volcano was a bit too hard for me to choose, but the boy enjoyed it and that's almost raw tuna!