“Best fried stuff I've ever had”

Hill Country Cupboard
Ranked #9 of 24 Restaurants in Johnson City
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed 25 October 2017

I was taken by their sign: "Best Chicken Fried Steak, Over 3 dozen sold! I was traveling with relatives from France, and had been threatening to introduce them to the Chicken Fried Steak concept, and so without making any promises of culinary excellence, in we went. The menu leaned heavily towards the fried side, and we all ended up ordering fried things: Chicken Fried Steak, Chicken Fried Pork, and Chicken Fried Chicken (me). We also ordered the Fried Green Tomatoes. The tomatoes were sublime! Fresh tomatoes, freshly battered, and cooked to perfection. The Chicken Fried items were similarly wonderful. My chicken, a large boneless breast, was perfectly seasoned and cooked to the best possible crunchiness. No knife was necessary as it was so tender and juicy you could just cut it with a fork. We wanted to try the desserts, but were simply too full.

Now a disclaimer: I am from the Northeast, where Chicken Fried anything is practically unheard of, and Fried Green Tomatoes, rarely available, are always frozen from a bag. So it's possible I'm overreacting to perfectly seasoned, tender and juicy, deliciously crunchy fare ... but I don't think so!

Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

My husband and I and a grandson stopped in Johnson City to eat dinner on our way home to Austin on Sunday evening.
My grandson had the Country Fried Pork Chop, and my husband and I had the Southwest Hamburger Steak (sautéed onions and mushrooms, cheddar cheese and jalapeños). All of the entrees come with two sides. The fried okra was really good! My hamburger was a little too rare and pretty tasteless, it needed some seasoning. My grandson and husband enjoyed their food though.
The server was friendly and did a good job , but this place is in desperate need of a good cleaning and facelift!
Unfortunately there are limited choices in Johnson City.

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

We stopped while heading north on 281. Three from the group had chicken fried steak. I had onion rings as my two sides...they were very good. The chicken fried steak was good but not spectacular. The portion was huge but there was tons of breading. Glad I ordered gravy on the side. I ate about a third of the CFS and most of the onion rings.

The experience would have been better if the actual restaurant was in better condition. It was old and run down. I didn't want to examine things too closely in fear of finding something. Everything needs a good cleaning and a redo!

Reviewed 5 September 2017

We arrived for early dinner. The restaurant was empty when we arrived. It was very hot outside and hot inside. We found ants on our table while we were eating. The food we ordered had no flavor. We ate what we could and left quickly.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

Family met here Sunday for lunch. Ordered catfish and shrimp baskets. French fries were frozen type and shrimp and fish were nothing special. Canned drinks. Fried okra was tasty! Prices ok.