“Good. With some effort, could be very good”
Review of Addis Restaurant

Addis Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Addis Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #95 of 1,647 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

We had heard good things about this place, so we drove an hour to check it out. Parking was challenging, but we got it done. The greeter (hostess) was shy, or perhaps there was a language barrier, or perhaps she was just bored and didn't want to be there. The decor was a little more Spartan than we expected, and the bathroom was not especially clean. I was skeptical. The server was friendly enough, so we remained hopeful and ordered. We were rewarded. The food was fantastic! Perhaps some of the lacking elements represent a lack of cultural understanding. They really have the potential for something exceptional here. We will likely return.

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

The restaurant is a large, well lit open space. We ordered Sambussas for a starter, the 6 vegetables with Injeera and 2 soft drinks which cost $32 without the tip. The six vegetarian dish consists of a nice selection of a mixture of curries and spicy vegetables served on Ethiopian bread. The service was friendly and prompt. There are vegetarian, meat and seafood choices. Some of the vegetarian choices have butter so less vegan friendly. A good wine and alcohol selection. The atmosphere is upbeat with Ethiopian music playing and large TV screens, more suitable for a gathering of friends than a business meeting. We really enjoyed the food here. We thought the yellow lentils and potatoes could have had a bit more spice but that is really being picky. A great meal, at a great price. Perfect for people who like food that is not just standard American fare. We will

Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

Never had Ethiopian food until tonight. Marcia was our waitress and was great! She couldn't of been better or more helpful. We recommended the 6 vegetarian dishes and 3 helped us pick 3 meat dishes. Food is served on a large pizza type pan. There is a spongy type bread,injera, the size of the pan with the servings sitting on top of the bread. It is served family style. All food is very colorful and flavorful. All were good. Some were better than others. From Addis' website: "Ethiopian fare is traditionally eaten from one large platter that holds multiple entrees & is shared by the entire table. Partake in the custom by tearing small pieces of injera & scooping bite size amounts of food with the hands." We got tired of eating all the bread and asked for a fork. Great for occasional visits. I would not eat here often if I lived here. I would come back when in town. I would definitely recommend.

1  Thank Tunstall14
Reviewed 24 June 2017

I remember my school says in Madison with eastern African lunch box with delicious yet mild lentils. I am aware of this Ethiopian place in Richmond for a while, but just get a chance to go there. Being my first time and did not know better, I did ask for a fork. But I did see other customers using crepe-type bread to scoop up the food.

Overall, I like my dish, but the portion is big and I could not possibly finish all bread. The service tend to me slow because there was only one person working on lunch hour. But I am glad I tried it.

1  Thank SandyWang
Reviewed 21 June 2017

Met the grandchildren and parents for a Father's Day dinner with mixed results. Addis is one of the kids favorites because of the large vegetarian menu and gluten free dishes. Our only disappointment was that the beer and wine menu was not fully stocked. In both cases we settled for our third or fourth choices. Perhaps a weekend delivery of items that were out of stock is in order. The bar did allow a complementary tasting of the final wine choice. No beer on tap, and very few choices remained from an otherwise good list.
Food was not a disappointment. The grandchildren love the sambussa as well as the veggie combo of six of their signature dishes. We added shiro wat and shrimp tibs to round out the family style meal served on a bed of injera With individual rolls of injera, always as much as you want.
The dining room is a bit noisy when it fills up but service is friendly. The big screen tv plays music videos, without the sound. Interesting insight into the culture since I assume the performers are those popular in Ethiopia. Fortunately the sound was off so it did not contribute to the already noise level which was just low enough to allow us to hear our own conversation without shouting.

1  Thank 3Eagles