“Wonderful”
Review of Havana 59

Havana 59
Reserve with OpenTable
Havana 59 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #125 of 1,752 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$5 - US$38
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Cuban
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main Street
Transit: One block south at Main/N 17th St and two blocks north at E Broad/N17th St
Description: Havana ’59 has been a staple in Richmond’s Shockoe Bottom District since its opening in 1995. We are proud of the community we have served for 22 years and the loyalty and longevity they have provided us, as demonstrated by our 2017 OpenTable Diner’s Choice Award. We invite you to step back in time to the tradition of excess in 1950’s Havana, when the island city was known as the “Paris of the Caribbean.” The combination of tradition and indulgence cultivates a casual yet elegant atmosphere where the string lights, enormous open windows, crumbling plaster walls, palm trees, and aroma of fine cigars envelope you as you relax and enjoy the tantalizing delights of a bygone era. We proudly offer our guests an unforgettable culinary and cocktail experience delivered with exceptional service, from the fresh juices we press in house for our cocktails, to the locally sourced ingredients utilized in our scratch kitchen.
Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

We went on a perfect weather evening. The window/doors were open and we sat right by them. The decor brought you to feel as though you were sitting in a cafe in Cuba. An alert on the menu apologizes before hand for the slow service but we did not experience that at all. Our waitress was quick but not pushy. She was very personable. The food was delicious. My grandson only wanted chicken, rice and beans so they made that up for him. Then one of the chefs passed and asked him if he enjoyed the dinner he made for him. My husband and daughter had the paella. It was delicious, yes, I had to taste it and my grandson's dinner. We will definitely return.

Jessica H, Manager at Havana 59, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

Annie,

I am so glad you had an excellent time! Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

Our group was in town on business and we tried this place out. Great atmosphere and liked how they opened the walls (roll-up doors) and it felt like we were outside but with AC. Group all the loved the food and good variety. Try it out and is downtown Richmond. Staff was very polite and kept our glasses full.

Thanks very much for you kind words, we hope to see you the next time you are in from out to town!

Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

Had dinner at Havana 59 tonight with my husband awesome vibe with great food and drinks. Everyone is always so nice, they take great care of you from the time you walk into the door. Some of the best Mojitos ever.

Jessica H, Manager at Havana 59, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2017

Thank you so much Suzanne! We look forward to seeing you again soon!!

Reviewed 13 June 2017

What makes this place so fun is the wait staff and bartenders and good food. Our bartender, Cat, not only made great specialty drinks, but made great recommendations on the appetizer and entre. The interaction between Cat and the other bartenders made the time pass so fast. Be aware, that, if you sit at the bar, there is smoking allowed, and they do sell cigars. The bar is well ventilated, so, since I don't smoke, it did not bother me.

Jessica H, Manager at Havana 59, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2017

Thank you so much for the kind words and input. Kat will be very thrilled to hear the compliments. Come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed 16 May 2017

Rented the balcony for Cinco de Mayo for a post wedding party - not the reception. While in my contract, I went through two different coordinators, who clearly gave me different visions of what the night would look like. Not only was there confusion about costs, I ended up paying $1k out of pocket for the evening - even though our minimum was met by those who attended paid out of pocket for their food and beverages. Clearly, the minimum that I was told I needed to meet was not appropriately discussed. Both food and drinks were extremely overpriced, and on an evening that was meant to be fun and celebrate, I instead had to worry over costs the entire night. Feedback was given, but I was told that it was a misunderstanding on my end and that I was still responsible for it all. Though I have always had a place in my heart for Havana and their delicious mojitos, I will never again be supporting their business. Extremely dissatisfied.

Ashley C, Manager at Havana 59, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2017

Jennifer, I apologize that you felt your experience with us warranted this negative review. I am a little confused since I received an email from you that stated "So, loved Friday evening. It was all that I ever wanted!" The contract lists the Food and Beverage minimum, as do all of our contracts, and you signed it. Therefore, if the food and beverage minimum is not met the host of the event (aka undersigned, aka you) is responsible for the difference. I apologize that you feel extremely dissatisfied, but this was explained to you via email prior to the event and verbally in person when you arrived, as I had already had issues with your guests refusing the charge as they did not want to be financially responsible. Since the contract was between you and Havana, and not your guests, I could not force them to make purchases. You state above that the minimum was not appropriately discussed? I am unsure as to how I could have made it more clear? You also state above that the minimum was met by your guests, that is incorrect. Had we not charged your host tab for the per person buffet charges for those guests that chose not to pay on their own tabs, you would NOT have met the minimum. At the conclusion of the event you expressed that you did not understand the charges and we attempted to go over them with you. Your husband did understand, and told me "it's fine". Ultimately, we had to prepare the food you ordered and that food had to be paid for. I understand that you intended for your guests to pay for it but as I warned you, several were not receptive to that concept. I am surprised that you chose this public forum to express your dissatisfaction as you have not expressed all that you stated above, to me directly. I have never had a client complain about the price of the food or the drinks, this is especially baffling since they were agreed upon prior to the event. I sincerely wish you and your husband the best in your union together. Thank you.