“Disappointing dinner”

Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Lets see, where to start, service was good as expected, but dimmer was lacking. Price still over $30 and less food.
2 shrimp "appetizer",
Ordered Filet and Shrimp
Got 5 Shrimp and like 6 pieces of steak. Also charged an additional $3 for fried rice. It's a shame, as this used to be my favorite hibachi location.

Reviewed 17 May 2017

We went for our daughter's birthday. We were seated at a Hibachi table with 4 other people. Our waitress (an older lady) was very nice & efficient. Our cook was great ! He was funny & efficient. The food was wonderful, and we all enjoyed being there. We were allowed to bring a birthday cake, although we decided to take it home & celebrate. We had a great time. Nobody came to refill our water glasses, we had to look around and hint. Finally, we shared with each other. Our waitress came back right at the end and gave us more water. The decor in the lobby was nice, with the fish pond. The huge dining room was very plain, and I felt that my sandals were sticking to the carpet, either from something sticky or ? greasy from the hibachi grill ?

Reviewed 22 January 2017 via mobile

I went to Kabuto as an invitation for a surprise party. The 2 stars I have given and this is due to the very poor customer service our party of 21 received this evening. I tried to think of why I even gave 2 stars and the only thing I could think of was the food was ok.
We arrived around 6pm and was told the birthday girl would be there for a 6:30 table seating. All but 2 of our party were there but we had to beg them to seat us so we (21) would be out of the lobby in time for the surprise. I'm not sure if a private room cost extra but they finally sat the 21 on 2 separate tables (which was fine) although the tables were right in the middle of the dining room. We thought the tables were taken but they were empty until the hostess decided to let the majority in to sit. ( I don't like this rule when all but about 2 of the big party were present). This was a first sign of things to come.

The next issue with the service came during the food order. A couple of us did not want rice but wanted to replace a double vegetable with rice. The manager said no even though we have dietary issues. What? How in 2017 is a restaurant this an issue. Take note Kabuto. Several Steak Houses will replace rice without wanted to charge the customer extra. Take note and talk to your competitors.. Shogun,Yamato and Kobe all are willing to substitute extra vegetables without an additional charge for a side order of vegetables. Especially for the price of the meals.

Our table had a chef that just cooked. Not the additional personality or showmanship as our next table. Several in our party took notice. The 2 tables started at the same time but the table with our extra guests were treated to showmanship so their experience was a little more special than ours. We had to hunt down our server and ask for more ice tea and water. No attention to the need of the diners at all. Someone in our group asked for the dessert menu since dessert was not offered. He rattled off a few items and none of us could hear a word he said due to the noisy dining room. What? No menu or didn't you feel like getting 1 or 2 for the table? The checks were an entirely different fiasco.
Overall about 10 out of our group from both tables indicated we would not be back or recommend. It's up to you rather you want to eat at an overpriced restaurant that does not care to meet the dietary needs of their customers. I'm not recommending but Go to the Japanese Steakhouses that put their customer needs first instead of nickel and dining.
Yamato, Kobe here I come...

Reviewed 14 December 2016

I came here with my lady at my suggestion. She had not been here for some time. We were told a 5-10 minute wait, but it was much longer. We started with only four people, we two and another couple, but after some time another six arrived as a birthday party as we were beginning our soup. So there was some "ketchup" to contend with. The chef was not as great a performer as I remember having seen in other places earlier - but it has been a long time since the last time. The only real glitch was my date's order - scallops got omitted and they had to go back for more. I ordered the chicken and we did share a bit. All in all, it was an enjoyable experience, with plenty of food and after awhile some intragroup conversation. While the meal is a bit pricey, one must remember that soup (not really sure I want to call it misu), salad, a two shrimp "appetizer" and the entree come with the price of the meal.

Reviewed 5 December 2016 via mobile

I've been to quite a few Japanese steakhouses, but Kabuto has topped them all. The past Japanese steakhouses I've been to consisted of waiters or waitresses dressed in normal attire -- black pants and white shirt. However, at Kabuto, all waiting staff members are dressed in the kimonos and authentic footwear. Their seating area has at least 10 hibachi grills. We waited about 10 minutes without a reservation on a Saturday night at 8:00. If you have a larger party, I would recommend calling for a reservation -- this place fills up quick! They also have a large room dedicated to a bar and then another for a sushi area. The hibachi grill seems to be the main attraction. My sister and I got the Samurai (steak and chicken), while my husband got shrimp and steak. Although the steak was very good, it was a little tough and could have been cut in smaller chunks, especially since the restaurant doesn't provide knives in their table setting. The ginger sauce and yum-yum sauce are amazing with the steak and chicken. With each meal, you receive a salad and miso soup. Don't worry, you won't leave hungry! The vegetables consisted of zucchini, mushrooms, and onions. To my surprise, this place also served sprouts! Note: fried rice is an additional charge they don't inform you of when they ask if you want "white or fried rice".

The hibachi chef was good -- he may have been on the newer side. Overall, great experience. Would definitely recommend if you're having a rehearsal dinner or large family/friend event.