“Wanted to try something different for dinner”

Korean Garden Restaurant
Ranked #644 of 1,631 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Japanese, Korean
Reviewed 16 January 2016

Been on a budget lately so eating out has been scarce. Tried a restaurant we haven't been to before since who knows when we will eat out again. The menu is vast and we asked for help with the selection. I've had Korean food before, but not the BBQ. Ended up with the pork belly (Korean bacon) and boneless chicken BBQ which was cooked at our table by the waiter....I thought we'd be able to cook it ourselves, so was a bit disappointed. The BBQ is definitely enough to share between 2 people and came with a lot of cold, pickled type of sides. We did get hot rice, hot steamed egg, hot tofu "soup", but the rest was cold and pickled...noodles, kimchi, turnips, cucumber, dried seaweed, lettuce to make lettuce wraps. We also ordered crab shumai, wonton soup and a potato flour cake. All were good, but as it was a rainy evening, I thought I'd be getting hot, comfort food....cold and pickled didn't do it for me, but that is my issue and not the restaurants. The wait staff were very attentive. The 2 BBQ dishes were more than enough for our family of a mom, dad, son (13) and daughter (11). I thank them for being adventurous enough to try something different and not kick up a fuss.

Reviewed 7 October 2015

I've eaten three times since August at Korean Garden. The building is older and not fancy, but within there is a real Korean Kitchen offering the best of Asian cuisine.

I'm partial to the spicy pork with the typical side dished (Ban /Chan Sp?) etc. But their spicy squid and Korean soups are hearty as well.

When you visit, you'll notice that a majority of the customers are Koreans and their friends, so to me that's a seal of complete homeland authenticity.

Reviewed 16 November 2014

Went there for dinner last night with my daughter.

Everyone we saw that was associated with the restaurant welcomed us when we arrived and were very hospitable.

We both got the Bul Gogi and it was delicious. We did not sit at one of the table where they cook your food table-side, but just at a regular table. The service was good and as fast as any good restaurant I have been at. We did not have to wait long for our food.

The cost is not outrageous for the amount of food you get. We were pleased with both the amount of food in the entree and the side dishes and we could not eat it all.. ( and I can do some eating....let me tell you ) plus the cost of the meal was a fair price. As with most restaurants, dinner is always more expensive than lunch. Want to save a few bucks? Go there for lunch.

After we ate and paid.. and were thanked for our visit by numerous employees and felt they were very pleased to have us dine there, We visited the store and my daughter bought a few food items. The next time I will get some of the refrigerated kimchi.

We will definitely be back!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Outside appearance is deceiving. We weren't even sure they were open. Don't judge a book by its cover!! The meal was truly amazing. Having served in Korea, I can honestly say this is true authentic Korean fare. The service was great, inside atmosphere pleasing. There is a Korean market attached to the back side of the restaurant. They served 8 sides with our meals, all delicious. I recommend the bulgogi....absolutely perfect! Prices reasonable, especially for the amount of food served. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I'm not sure why but I'm astounded as to why they would even consider serving food prepared so poorly. If I wasn't with 5 others, I would have sent my meal back, but I didn't want to make others feel uncomfortable. My meal was Japanese marinated grilled beef served on a seaming hot platter. The meat was most likely precooked and placed on the hot platter only to be way overcooked. It was worse than dried out beef jerky. I could chew it after many attempts.It also appeared to be bottom round or some very cheap cut of meat with teriyaki sauce poured over it. Burnt and Nasty!

I can say the service was excellent, couldn't have been any better. But for me I'll not return.