“Deliciously shareable food”
Review of Foo Dog

Foo Dog
Ranked #176 of 1,845 Restaurants in Richmond
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

At first I wasn't too excited about the menu but I haven't tried this place yet so went in anyways.

Needless to say, the food was great and I found myself ordering more and more of the different appetizers to sample. The food is fresh, delicious and so much fun to share with friends.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

I'm not really sure what we had, but it was with noodles and meat...others ordered for us. We were able to share a number of dishes. I wasn't sure what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised with the place. Service was great! They got it that we didn't know what to expect, so they helped us figure it out and were just great.

Reviewed 30 July 2017

Went there with my son for dinner. Surprise there was a wait at 815pm on Thursday. Seems like great local spot. People enjoying food and company. It was worth the wait. Food was generous and tasty. We both had the Japanese Ramen. Very tasty broth and lots of goodies inside Highly recommend the place, you won't be disappointed

Reviewed 14 July 2017

Be careful when ordering anything with broth from this place. I ordered from Foo Dog twice in one night. The first order I made, the broth spilled at no fault of the delivery driver. I got a refund for the mishap for the first time so I ordered a second time. When the delivery driver showed up with my second order, the same problem again and still at no fault of the delivery driver. Broth spilled and once again no food. Tried calling the restaurant numerous times within a single hour and the phone number does not work. Foo Dog serves great food, but this is just ridiculous. The problem lies with the packaging of the food as two different drivers from Order Up delivered, both in cars, and both had the same issue. Icing on the cake was the fact that the phone number on the website doesn’t work. To say that I am severely disappointed would be an understatement.

Eat_RP88, General Manager at Foo Dog, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2017

Sherry I am very sorry that this incident ever took place. Historically this has not been a problem for us. Now that we know that there is a problem we are going to work with Order Up to assure that this problem doesn't happen again. We would love the chance to make this up to you. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at ben@eatrestaurantpartners.com.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

As owners of a Miniature Australian Shepherd, it can be difficult to find a restaurant that is dog-friendly. It is harder in Richmond, Virginia as we called several restaurants that were touted to be dog-friendly. One of those restaurants stated only service dogs with official documentation! (Is that legal?) Thank goodness Foo Dog lives up to its name… in more way than one.
My wife, 24 year old son and I found this restaurant that is located in what appears to be a trendy part of Richmond. When we arrived on a late-Sunday afternoon, this part of town was hopping. We were seated outside with our dog. The area can hold about twenty people. Our waitress was very friendly towards our Aussie and us. She quickly got us three pints of craft beer for us to quench our thirst. Their selection of craft beers is rather small, but it was a delight to have a choice of some craft beers instead of that mass-produced watery beer that many restaurants have.
After being on the road for a while (From Philadelphia through Baltimore and Washington, DC), we quickly ordered their Gyoza – Lemongrass chicken dumplings with House made Ponzu dipping sauce (a citrus-based sauce commonly used in Japanese cuisine). They were so good that they did not last long! They are that good. For his entrée, my son chose their Scallion Chicken – Chunks of marinated chicken breast lightly battered, then wok fried and tossed in their chef’s tangy sauce. It comes with bell peppers, zucchini, dried red chilies & broccoli, and served with fried rice. My son has had some excellent Chinese food in his life, and he found this dish to be absolutely delicious.
For her entrée, my wife chose a Ramen with Udon Noodles. They use a house made pork broth, bean sprouts, sautéed shiitake mushrooms, and scallions with shallot sauce. The meat she chose was the Chashu pork. To be a little different, I went with the Malaysian Style Ramen – Coconut curry broth with lemongrass, galangal root, fresh ginger, tamarind, and bean sprouts. It was heavenly, especially on that hot Sunday.
We have a great ramen house just thirty minutes from our home, and we found these entrees to be very close in quality. That says something as our go-to ramen house serves the best ramen we have ever had. Because we will be making many trips to and from Philadelphia, Foo Dog will be our enjoyable pit stop.​