“Busy place, good pasta, pizza, seafood.”
Review of Pepe Nero - Veccja

Pepe Nero - Veccja
Price range: US$11 - US$34
Description: With breathtaking views of Xemxija Bay, Veccja proposes a menu focused on seafood dishes. Our restaurant takes the shape of an old fish market but still offers a selection of our meats together with our full list of pizzas made in an artisanal manner.
Reviewed 4 February 2018

I've been travelling the island in search of this elusive sea urchin pasta for a couple of days. Only to find it in a restaurant only half a mile away from my hotel. That's karma.
The entrance to this restaurant is a bit hard to find, but once inside is large and lively. Maybe a bit on the dark side (not Star Wars, in mean the lights), makes it difficult to take good photos, and to see exactly all the details on the plate.
I did enjoy the sea urchin pasta very much and the lobster ravioli was great as well, made with white lobster meat (unlike the other dish tried somewhere else that was also something else).
Good service as well, moderate prices.

Ottavio S, General Manager at Pepe Nero - Veccja, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Good afternoon,

First of all thank you for choosing one of our Pepe Nero restaurants whilst visiting our beautiful island of Malta.
May I also thank you for sharing your experience with others as this brings us joy and motivation to continue improving on what we are doing .
We look forward to host you again whilst on visit to Malta in the future.

Regards

Reviewed 4 January 2018

We've been to Pepenero on more than one occasion and we were never disappointed, Always good food and good service. Staying in the terrace in Summer is lovely, but the indoors have a nice feel to it especially in the winter time. A bit tough with all the stairs if you have a stroller but the waiters helped me out sometimes so they're friendly like that.

Ottavio S, General Manager at Pepe Nero - Veccja, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2018

Good morning,

we thank you for sharing your experience with others, we value even more positive comments coming from one of our regular clients .
This fills us with more motivation to continue improving on what we are doing.

We look forward to host you again.

Reviewed 2 January 2018

I am going to be honest. I was terribly surprised.

My first impression, but on this I stand to be corrected, access with kids and push chairs is terrible from the main road. Too many stairs and the height of the internal stairs is quite a good deal. But on this, once again I stand to be corrected as there can be another entrance which makes life easier to buggies carriers. Moreover to people with disabilities. As sometimes, we don't notice that there are persons who although look fine and healthy, they are suffering from conditions which limit their movement.

I enjoyed the view. Fantastic. I liked the menu presentation, being one who worked in graphics. The food was good. As a portion, I doubted a bit the size of meat but the taste was fine.

On new year, following 6 weeks of strict diet I was looking forward for the cheat day. To my surprise list of available deserts did not even match the number of people at our table. Moreover, when I asked for coffee (and keep on with my diet) I was totally surprised to receive an answer: WE DON'T HAVE MILK. A total mismanagement.

I was let down honestly. Very disappointing.

1  Thank gufi0209
Ottavio S, General Manager at Pepe Nero - Veccja, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2018

Good evening ,
Thank you for choosing One of our restaurants for your lunch celebration for this new year . We do know that your party of 22 enjoyed it very much as management & servers where praised from members of your own table .
We do know that one of our entrances can cause a bit of inconvenience as we are situated underneath the Veccja stairs but we also know that once you're inside the restaurant one can find an impeccable view as you very well stated.
May I thank you for praising the food served on your table and may I excuse myself once again for the inconvenience caused by running out of desserts and milk towards the end of lunch that day as we don't keep frozen back ups .I can assure you that this won't happen ever again .
On the other hand sometimes clients don't realize how much damage one can do by rating 1 star on this site , as then we loose our placing and it's like that all of our hard work that has been done during the year is thrown out of the window.
Management did excuse themselves over and over again for what happened and all 9 desserts that your table consumed and all liquors where given for FREE to remedy for this inconvenience .
I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and wish you and your family all the best for this new year.

Ottavio Suda

Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

A fantastic dinner experience.

The complimentary starter was too die for. Light and crispy.

We had fresh oysters followed with fresh fish, Gurbell. Cooked to perfection.

Great attentive service that has become so rare today’s.

Overall Pepe Nero Veccja is a gem for a great evening out.

Live music was great too.

Good morning,

Thank you for sharing your experience with others. In the hospitality industry we daily encounter a lot of challenges and comments like yours always fills us with joy and motivation to continue improving on what we are doing.

We are glad that you enjoyed your dinner at Pepe Nero shell shack & grill and look forward to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 October 2017

We found the restaurant without recommendation, simply walking and it was very good experience! We had rib eye Argentinian steak with Malbec wine and it was simply delicious!

Good morning,
First of all may we thank you for sharing your experience with others. Sometimes things turn out the best when you don't plan and we are really happy that you enjoyed your dinner at one of our Pepe Nero restaurants.

Whilst thanking you again we look forward to host you again.