“Great place to tour at halloween”
Review of Oakland Cemetery

Oakland Cemetery
Book In Advance
More Info
US$55.00*
and up
Margaret Mitchell's 'Gone with the Wind' Tour in...
Ranked #9 of 304 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Step back in time in Atlanta's most tangible link to the past, Oakland Cemetery. This historical park is the final resting place for many Civil War soldiers, golfing legend Bobby Jones, and "Gone With the Wind" author Margaret Mitchell.
Reviewed 21 March 2018

My wife and I did the Halloween tour that is offered in October and it was great. The best part is that they have BEER!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,035)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"walk around"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 13 March 2018

I have been here half dozen times now. Special events and just day tripping. Still haven't seen the entire thing. Full of history and beauty and secrets and stories. Don't walk, run!

Reviewed 13 March 2018

We definitely wanted to stop by this place while we were in the area. We drove through, slowly, to see some of the architecture and grounds. Try to find the lion grave, it's amazing. The roads can get a little narrow, so if you decide to drive through, be careful as you do so. Maynard Jackson's grave is definitely a stop.

2  Thank Fabreeze131
Reviewed 10 March 2018

We happened to walk through the cemetery as an afterthought, and we ended up really enjoying it! There's lots to take in and it's very peaceful.

1  Thank Brenda C
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 March 2018

Through my travels I've learned to love local history in all of its forms, but I'm particularly drawn to the stories and beauty of cemeteries; Oakland is another favorite chapter in my travel-story and I'm so glad I stopped by during a weekend in Atlanta.

The grounds are fairly large and easily accessible; I walked from the MLK birth home, about 20 minutes, and grabbed lunch at a coffee shop / bakery across the street (a newly gentrified neighborhood--it seemed--with some fun little spots for lunch / dinner). I took the 90 minute overview tour, and my only regret is that I wasn't there for the specialty tours, too (check out the schedule online, there are some fun themes!). Hans kept a good pace on the tour, which ended around 2 hours rather than 90 minutes, and he did a nice job of mixing Atlanta history with symbolisms, stories, and personal details.

We covered a lot of ground in two hours, but of course there was so much more to see while I wandered around myself after the tour ended. Wear good walking shoes and sunscreen, and bring your camera.

Highly recommend.

2  Thank courtney w

Been to Oakland Cemetery? Share your experiences!