“Good restaurant with views all over, but lacks charm”
Review of Paradores

Paradores
Ranked #47 of 87 Restaurants in Begur
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 July 2016

The food was good, better than is other paradores, service good enough. The setting
is nice, offering views of the Mediterranean from every table, but no charm. We enjoyed it however.

Reviewed 16 November 2015

We decided to eat in the hotel which turned out a very good idea. The Spanish menu was very good and we got a free entree of tapas, and there was a good selection of Spanish wine

Reviewed 15 August 2015

I am big Paradores fan, and I have enjoyed to a great extent each one of my previous visits to any of their restaurants. Until this one, the worst one I've ever encountered by far and a huge disappointment, almost a personal disenchantment.
First of all, I must say that I attended to the main restaurant (there's also a trendy gastronomic beach-club called Mar-i-Vent there, which I haven't visited yet) and I actually had an almost decent meal there, but for the price of a brilliant one. Maybe my expectations were a bit too high due to my previous experiences, but when I visit a Parador I wait for nothing but the best, and what I found here was way off and far from the common standards of the chain.
Let's set up the basics: for 33 euro you get a meal with an all-you-can-eat buffet for starters and desserts and a selection of dishes (3 fishes, 3 meats and 3 vegetarian options) to choose for you main. Drinks aren't included. Fair enough if the quality had matched the Paradores' general level.
To begin with you have some salads, cold starters such as cheeses and meats, some cold and warm soups, a couple of paella-like dishes and many other little things. Most of them were OK: traditional escalivada, pasta and the largest part of the petite refreshments available there, which could have made an interesting corporative snack for a seasoning-opening party in your office, but sincerely looked plain, unoriginal and lacking any of the personality that many Paradores have with their 'regional cuisine' menus. Just a few of the dishes I found worth: rice 'a la cazuela' and fish soup, which worked really well for me. A few more were annoyingly dull: calamari or meatballs, for instance. And then you've got the ghastly mushrooms ragout, that simply falls in a different category of platters to avoid.
Finished off with the starters, I really expected the mains to raise the level up, but this was actually the most frustrating part of all. Me and my companions ordered all three different kinds of fishes, which always seems to be a wise bet in a Costa Brava restaurant. Cod was flat and barely alright: I didn't really enjoyed it but at least had some taste on it, but the oven-cooked hake with tomato and the pan-fried hake with veggies where shockingly bad and so unappetizing. The tomato had that canned taste of a cheap tapas-bar and the fried hake was so flavorless that the onions on the base completely ruled the dish. Even when the portions were very small and the plates looked so flat and empty, none of us finished them: that was my first time ever leaving some food on a Parador still feeling hungry and I really wondered if the menu was salt-free to look after customers with cardiac diseases or the food was simply tasteless.
At the end, we cleaned the table on our own and picked up some desserts from the wide selection available. There were many sweet options there, but all of them felt so ordinary and were average at best: nothing that really caught me up there or that I could remember in a few weeks time.
To sum up, the buffet was quite normal, but the mains were very disappointing and the general quality and value of the products available didn't really exceed what you can find in any of these 12-euro wok-style oriental buffets. So low for a Parador and completely under the price-range of the restaurant. The wine set of choices is pretty much the same in any Catalan Parador so we went for a white Abadal: a simple but nice option.

Now, let me talk about the other factors that ruined my experience here. The service staff was slow and exasperatingly passive: nothing of pro-activity, charm or warmth here. I know that's the way things work on a buffet, but I didn't like to be cleaning my own dishes all the time and almost didn't have any help from the numerous waiters that were hanging around, particularly after we finished with the mains. And funny enough, the only time the service didn't have any delay was to serve the main dishes, actually they brought them when one of us was still busy eating some starters and had to rush with them to eat the fish while warm.
Two more things to add on, we found some dirt on the leaves of the salad (lack of attention while washing food) and what just felt unacceptable for me: it was already 2:00 pm and there were several tables eating there but we were still waiting for some of the dishes of the buffet to come off the kitchen. I personally had to ask the waiters to bring the paellas, because we were about to call for our mains and for some reason I still haven't seen them, in the peak hour of the lunch service! It really seemed like they didn't want to serve any rice unless someone asked for it, even with a couple of dozens of customers around.
I am really sorry about that lunch, because I admire the philosophy of Paradores and I will carry on enjoying their great service and awesome quality, discovering the many delights hidden in the menus of their restaurants. But I won't come back to this one and I really hope they can change for better, because this kind of experiences harm the good name of the whole brand. Even so, and to finish with something positive, the location is spectacular and the views from the restaurant are worth a painting. The hotel -which I cannot review- looks really nice and I guess it is and awesome place to stay at: but look for somewhere else to eat at!

Reviewed 14 August 2015 via mobile

Treated ourselves to two nights for a bit of upmarket style bridging a gap in our itinerary. Overall a very nice and stylish hotel with a certain 70's Costa Brava vibe. Spectacular views. Spacious rooms which accommodated two extra beds for children, balconies with tables and chairs and spacious bathrooms. Rooms are well appointed but maybe getting a little tired, 70's modern luxury rather than minimalist boutique. Huge buffet breakfast to meet most needs with staff willing to help, if a little thin on the ground. Lunch/dinner menus are Catalan and short (both a good thing) but means you might struggle with younger or less adventurous types. Nice pool. Lovely walk down to the superb Aiguablava beach. A big disappointment was the "gym" which was a collection of four random old dysfunctional machines in an unused conference room, very poor indeed (but did also have a table tennis table). Would rate as 4 stars if it wasn't for the unacceptable gym at a hotel of this standard.

Reviewed 8 April 2015 via mobile

Most welcoming staff, food was excellent, baby squids with artichoke and Iberian ham, Diana steak was done by the Chef in front of us and was the best. Deserts - white mouse "sphere" was a big ball of mouse covered with thin layer of chocolate filled with raspberry and the crepe Suzette was delicious with the right mix of licquor. Most welcoming professional service - worth a try.