“Munamar beach residence” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #49 of 79 Hotels in Icmeler
Coventry
“Munamar beach residence”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

Great quiet hotel just refurbished only issue is at the far end of the pool area about 30 meters from the hotel is a restaurant which as I unferstand is not part of the hotel.however the restaurant guests use the pool toilets (of which there are one female and one male). So we have a steady stream of non hotel guests wandering through the pool area where personal effects such as phones cameras and room keys (which have the room numbers on) so there is a security issue all other 5star hotels even the sister hotel have security stopping non residance why not here?

• Stayed September 2011
5 Thank happyishWeekender

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Motherwell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

Just back from a week in Icemeler. Me and the wife are in our late 20's and were looking for a relaxing holiday with free beer on tap.

We stayed the in the main hotel to differ the review from the Munamar Beach residence which is located across the canal although they shared the facilities.

Room was lovely, carpeted, tv, free mini bar (not replenished), good shower and fantastic views from the balcony. We were on the 4th floor which i reckoned improved the view. The even numbers faced out the rear and odd numbers were the sea view. room service was carried out every day with clean towels.

Pool was good. Small, compared to other pools I have been to in the past. One thing i noticed was the sun was available from 9am till sunset, where as the beach residence hotel suffered from shade after midday. A lot of other hotels close by also suffered from shade.
As the hotel was so close to the beach the there were always beds available.

Food was ok, lots of choice to cater for all people. My only gripe was it was the same food every day. I wasn't into a lot of the salad so most days it was chicken and chips for lunch and dinner. Beer was nice (Efes) tastes a bit like San Miguel. House wines were also nice.
Seen other hotels with a variation of chinese, indian mexican etc. The hotel could benefit from this as the this was the biggest letdown of the hotel.

Entertainment was quite poor although this didnt bother us as we spent a lot of time walking around exploring. It included turkish night with belly dancers and stage show, 2 nights of bingo, 2 nights of live music and a music quiz.

Overall the hotel was really nice staff were nice although a few at reception found it hard to understand me and just kept nodding.

A know a lot have mentioned the russians. Yes the majority are rude and have no manners but this interaction only accounted for around 2% of the holiday. Mainly at dinner times and at the bar they skipped people waiting in the queue. The Bar manager was aware of this at times and sent them to the back of the queue. I am pretty polite but the last few days of the holiday i didnt put up with it. Anyone that jumped in front of me, i quickly just stepped in front of them.

Other couples we spoke to were saying most of things i have noted...I would deffo come back to Icemeler but probably not this hotel. I reckon there are better out there. I Liked the look of the Aqua and the Fantasia Hotels.

Also not sure how true it is but one of the staff in the hotel told me they will be changing the look of the hotel to attract europeans only in the next year or so.

As rough guide we paid around £600 for 8 nights for the hotel. We required a late checkout which cost a further £26 to allow us to keep the room until 5pm.

Room Tip: We had a really heavy shower one day and this flooded the 5th floor. A couple we spoke to had to be...
6 Thank Ghandi2309
birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

This was our 1st visit to Turkey.Hotel was very nice,rooms large and modern.Beach was lovely and right in front of hotel and free sunbeds.Icmeler was really beautiful and a lovely walk into Marmaris.
Food was horrendous.Most things were cold and selection of food was appalling.Russian guests were the rudest most arrogant people i have ever met.No manners,attitude and staff jumped when ever they ordered any drinks.This hotel is definately not geared towards English guests and people with manners.Restaurant was like a staff canteen and a free for all.Could never get a table and was lucky if you got a knife and fork.Swill bucket passed you every few minutes as did member of staff sweeping up rubbish as you ate.
Cocktail bar which did not do any cocktails and entertainment was dull.No way is this hotel a 4 or 5 star as rated in book.We were told by Thomson rep after complaining about food that all staff were going into training next year as hotel was going to be British only, so why were we not told about this before booking our holiday.I am afraid this has totally clouded my judgement on ratings of Turkey hotels.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank albion933
, Manager at Munamar Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
dear reviewer,

we are sorry to hear that your holiday with us was not what you have excepted. We would like you to come this season as we are now TUI COUPLES hotel and we have majority of guests from UK. we will be very happy if you could come and see our new pool area, restaurant and food and taste the difference.

hoping to see you with us soon.
Aalborg, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

Just got back from a fabulous week in Icmeler. Loved the hotel and the surroundings, actually it was significantly better situated in Icmeler as opposed to Marmaris due to the nice beach and more wind which made the 40 degrees bearable!
Just one snag, though; the music in the bar - mostly fusion jazz - was horrible and way too loud. But other than that; wonderful place, good food, excellent service, and lovely surroundings.
Tip: Take one of the many taxi boats to Marmaris. It's cheap and the trip is beautiful.

4 Thank Aquacate
Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

I write this review and make it clear that I consider myself to be a middle classed ordinary bloke who is not overly critical and so will try to write this as honestly as possible. To make things clearer I have separated my experience of this hotel into sections that I think are most relevant for you, they are as follows;

Hotel / Rooms
I would like to start by saying that I was really pleased with the quality of this hotel overall, this hotel is a really lovely fashionable modern and clean hotel that is one of the best I have stayed in for the money, the hotel is always kept really clean by the staff. The hotel features a onsite beauty spa that I would very highly recommend, myself and my partner had a Turkish bath package for 85 TL (£ approx: £25) which was very relaxing and worth every penny. As stated you the Hotel in my opinion is very modern with pretty LED lights and marble throughout, the bathrooms are especially nice, there is also an onsite Cartmelo’s Bar which is very nice but shuts at midnight and a shop for papers etc. If you require a sea view which I would recommend this will cost an additional 60 Euros for a week, if you do this I would ask for a top floor (4th floor room) in the centre of the hotel, we had a sea view which is stunning that overlooked Icmellar bay and to the mountains, the only problem was that’ there were plenty of palm trees at the rear of the hotel where the sea view was and so this obscured our view slightly hence why you should get a high level room with a sea view. The hotel also provides you with beach towels daily for the pool and beach. A really nice hotel in the main but with a few annoying aspect from my point of view, other than my slightly obscured sea view was an adjoining door between rooms (ask for a room without one) and when the coupboard door is closed around the fridge in the rooms they become hot inside for some reason, this meant having to leave a cupboard door open all day / night. The last thing would say is that the balcony in our room (Room 133) was very small, enough for two people but not much more, for some reason part of the air conditioning unit is located on the balcony using up valuable space, also when my partner was sleeping and I was on the balcony, when the AC was turned on it churned out hot air making it unbearable on the landing. Overall the hotel is excellent.

Beach
The beech is literally 10 seconds away from the hotel and is crystal clear and not too cold, there are a good amount of sun beds reserved on a section of the beech that are free to the Munamar Hotel guests, do be aware though you will have to be up early to get a sun bed, anything past 10:30 and you will be struggling, even if these are taken a neighbouring bed will only cost you around £1.50 for the full day. The sand is a little gravely but perfectly acceptable and there is a large amount of water sports you can do e.g. Jet skiing etc.

Residents
In the main all the residents where fine although we as Brits where definitely in the minority with the main occupants being Russians, in fairness most kept to themselves and where pleasent enough other than a few teenagers in the pool just being teenagers splashing around etc next to sunbathers, I did notice thought that the Russians took the Micky when it came to getting free alcohol with some getting pints of wine at times, none where drunk or abusive or anything like that, they possibly did this so they didn’t have to go back but I thought it was a bit naughty really

Food / Drink / Meals
The food and drink is perfectably acceptable and comes in what you would expect as buffet style with everything from salads to meatballs and fish etc, there is beef burgers and chips etc for kids too, my only criticism is that at times the food was only warmish and not very hot although it was all still perfectly edible. You also get access to one Al’acarte meal which is really nice, I would advise booking this early to avoid missing out as i nearly did. The local beer is Efes which is nice, labelled alcohol such as Jamesons, Baileys, Bombay Saphire etc are not included and neither is ice cream for children.

Nightlife
The nightlife is quite good with a variety of bars, usually with dancing and entertainment, I would highly recommend Coco Beach along the beach front and the Waterfall for meals out if this is what you desire and three bells, richards Bar and Friends Bar, all are very welcoming and reasonably priced.

Pool
The pool is excellent and again very clean with lots of sun loungers that you will have no trouble in getting as opposed to the Beech, there is a pool bar on site and shaded area if it gets too hot for you
Entertainment
For me this was the very weakest aspect of the holiday as there was little to no entertainment at all, either at nighttimes or through the day, for us it was ok as a couple but if you have a family with young children and are planning on solely staying in the hotel give it a miss, I can only remember 2 nights in 7 anything was put on for the guests, I think kids would be very bored

Staff
Overall the staff where extremely pleasant as where all the local Turkish people and couldn’t do enough to help, I did however find that they struggled with English a little, they knew enough for the usual questions such as requesting drinks, checking in etc but anything further was difficult, they did seem though to speak fluent Russian so again I think the hotel is geared towards Russians more.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple