All reviewssteak piethe pubhaggis pakorafirth of clydefantastic viewsscottish breakfastthe main problemfriendly staya sea view roomlate checkhadn tlovely mealall age groupsacross the riverbooked a tablestaff were lovelyvisit family
Reviewed 15 August 2017

Four generations of our family do not get to meet up very often, so we were disappointed in service; quality of food and cooking were not up to usual standards. We ordered mostly fish and chips - overcooked batter - dry fish and waiters overworked we had to remind them to provide napkins; condiments. I complained about my meal twice no one noticed until I made it clear I was not happy. Not what I wanted to do. I am disappointed as usually reasonable but it was too busy and they could not cope on the night.

Room Tip: Go on a quiet night
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
SpinnyGourock, Owner at The Spinnaker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2017

Thank you for your feedback.
I spoke to the staff on the night you were in the hotel.
From what they told me in terms of your food all 'starters' seemed to go ok and most if not all 'main courses' were also finished. You complained about the "'burnt curled up fish". One member of staff who served you has told me he asked you if you wanted him to sort it out to which you shook your head.
After your meal you ignored me, the owner, and chose to speak to another member of staff directly. It was busy but he very attentively listened to what you had to say and said he was sorry you hadn't enjoyed your experience that evening.
I can totally accept on busy periods things may not always run as smoothly as we would all like it too and we continually look at how this can be improved. At present we're reviewing our menu selection / content, service times for meals and additional training methods at the Spinnaker amongst other things.
The reason I have choosen to reply in some length to your review is I can accept we don't get it 100% right 100% of the time but after you requested we take a look at the bill and consider what we want to do with it you then said depending on that you will put your review on Tripadvisor.
In my opinion, your review on Tripadvisor should not be based on how much money I take of your bill or don't as the case maybe (1 item was deducted) but based on your overall experience. To use the threat of Tripadvisor in an almost blackmailing way is the reason I have replied in length rather than just saying 'thank you' for your review.
TripAdvisor is a fantatsic way to feedback to business's both good and bad aspects of an individual or groups experince but not approriate using as it a gun to someones head before paying your bill.

Reviewed 14 August 2017

We stayed for one night, the staff were very welcoming, the room was clean and well presented. We had a meal and the food was lovely. We would stay again. It was a last minute decision so we didn't really know what to expect. I would reserve a table for dinner as we stayed on sat night and it was popular with locals.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank helenandian6
SpinnyGourock, Owner at The Spinnaker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Thank you for your complimentary review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay as well as dinner. We're hoping to move to our autumn menu soon as well as introducing some more lunch time options over and above full meals. Hopefully this will be liked be both existing and new customers.

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

Our stay at The Spinnaker Hotel has been nothing short of disastrous.
I booked 2 rooms in person back in April for my brother's wedding at Kip Marina in August. One room for my husband & me & one for my teenage children. At the time, I was told by the girl taking our booking that the teenagers would be in a room with a shared bathroom. As I knew that they would be able to use our room to shower, I said that would be fine & she put our names against 2 rooms. We arrived for our rooms this evening on to find that we have one en-suite room & the room with the shared bathroom has been double booked. No contact from the hotel to ourselves at any point between April & August to let us know & no room for my teenagers. The young man in charge, Connor (who was very apologetic & as helpful as he could be) told us that the owner was looking into finding a B&B near by, but I was not happy with this, as not only is my daughter a bridesmaid which means a trip to the hairdresser in the morning etc, we are all being collected by bus from the hotel for the wedding the following day & we had no idea how close the B&B would be. The next option discussed was to put another bed in our room, which would allow one of my children to share with us. I even checked to see if the wardrobe would be big enough for a 'Harry Potter' experience for my son, just so we could all be together! Alas, no. Fortunately, my brother (the groom) lives along from the hotel &, although he has a full house, with some juggling he has been able to accommodate my son. So now, as I write this, it is my husband, my daughter and I in one room (double & single bed) & my son at my brother's, sleeping in his cousin's bed, the best man relegated to the sofa & my nephew sleeping with his Dad! Needless to say, we have found other sleeping arrangements for Saturday night - not at The Spinnaker!

I was really looking forward to our weekend, congratulating myself on being organised & booking well in advance to ensure a stress-free, enjoyable occasion for us all. Sadly, it has been tarnished. I have added stress to my brother's day & I am lying in a crowded bedroom feeling nauseous with anxiety. I cannot recommend The Spinnaker as a place to stay at all & I would strongly advise getting some reassurance of bookings made.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Cathlann
SpinnyGourock, Manager at The Spinnaker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2017

Sorry.
We did our best to sort out the problem.
There was a mix up with the booking through no fault of your own.
I hope outwith your Spinnaker experience you enjoyed the wedding.

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

We booked here for a family gathering of 12 to celebrate a birthday and to say goodbye to our kiwi family returning home to NZ .
The "crew" were excellent ! Very friendly and efficient and patient with a raucous table and nothing was too much trouble for them !
The food was excellent ! Unpretentious pub grub but of excellent quality and very reasonable portions . We shared starters and the haggis pakora was melt in the mouth and the Stornaway black pudding fritters were delicious and a meal in themselves
Most of us opted for the steak pie which came highly recommended and we were not disappointed . The Cajun chicken burger also received rave reviews as did the haddock and chips !
No room for dessert unfortunately !!
Prices very reasonable and a lovely view over the Clyde

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Hello Bev.
Thank you for taking the time to review the Spinnaker. I'm grateful for your feed back and hightlighting some of the aspect that help make your visit enjoyable.
I hope the New Zealand family members have recovered from the long journey both here and back.

Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

Had 3 wonderful meals at the Spinnaker Hotel. Food was imaginative and staff very friendly and courteous. I visited on one occasion with my elderly mother, and again the staff went out of their way to be helpful. I recommend the food and service and look forward to staying at the Spinnaker next time in visit Greenock

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
SpinnyGourock, Owner at The Spinnaker Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review the Spinnaker and for the complimentary feedback.