All reviewsnice assortmentmom popmanager ownerback porchblack hillsbeds were comfortablewithin walking distancetv channelsonly stayed one nightmount rushmorejacuzzi tubboiled eggsbiscuits and gravylocation is excellentwould stay againfront porchlighting ceremony
Reviewed 22 June 2017

I really wanted to give the Brookside a 5 star - just for their effort. The staff was excellent (I believe owners). You can tell they are really trying and care. Definitely went above and beyond! I even saw him helping a couple a couple unload their car as they had sleeping children. Cannot fault the service!
The room seemed clean - until we went to take a shower. There was hair on the wall in shower. I am sure this was just an oversight as the rest of the room seemed immaculate but still, just leaves a bad impression!
The room was quite large with a view of a pretty creek out back. The TV was a box with limited channels which was a disappointment as we like to sit and relax and watch some TV after a long day of sightseeing.
Parking was quite tight but as you had an assigned spot there was always a spot. The exterior looks quite run down. I stayed only based on reviews. Undecided on if I would stay again when in the area.

Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

I'll start with the only positive which was that the room was a decent size. Other than that, the linens were stained and the bed and pillows uncomfortable. We left the hotel with numerous big bites. The man who checked us in kept swearing at his computer with my two children present. The hotel was due for a remodel sometime in the early eighties and almost seems like it is not structurally sound. I never have a problem with hotels that are older, but well maintained, but this was not the case with this motel. Spend the extra money and stay somewhere else in town or drive a bit further and stay closer to Rapid City

Reviewed 20 June 2017

The family that runs Brookside is SO nice. The gave my kids some extra treats "for the road" at breakfast. They arranged my daughter's stuffed animals on the bed in a cute way when they made the room. They were friendly and efficient with check in. And my bill was correct to the penny of what I was quoted.

The price was low. We knew we were not getting the Four Seasons.

There are some problems. They need fruit at breakfast. The hot things need to be hotter. They need to do some updating to the grounds. The pool was closed (a disappointment for my kids) and in clear need of work. Our room was fairly clean. The drain in the shower needed attention and there was a crack in the shower floor. The beds were clean, though. We never tried our TV, but it was just an older box-style one. The window unit A/C was fine, but we didn't need it much. We kept the window open. It was a nice quiet area of town.

In general, the people made this worth the rating. I wish them well and would hope that in a few years, they have this tiny motel running smoothly.

Room Tip: I would ask for a second-floor room with a window over the brook.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

We booked this last-minute on a weekend night, but they had rooms available with a free breakfast so we were grateful to find an affordable room. The motel isn't the typical motel setup. It appears there were at one time a lot of different cabins or cottages and they painted everything the same color and called it a motel. Not a bad thing, just not what we expected.

The pros: in a quiet area of Keystone, our room was very large, beds were comfortable, breakfast had some hot items, owners were very friendly.

Cons: Tons of hairs on the beds, in the bathroom, furniture was dirty, and the floor of our room slanted. Parking was difficult, our spot was on a very sharp sideways slant, and the parking lot is very small. Fortunately no fender benders while we were there.

Overall, it wasn't a terrible place to stay for one night and the owners were trying to make the best of the accomodations.

Reviewed 17 June 2017

The folks who are running this place are trying so hard to make this a great place. They are so pleasant when you check in and want you to have an enjoyable experience. However, the motel is old and in need of more work. The rooms are small, and the furnishings are dated. The TV was old and had issues (we couldn't get ours to work...) and the bathroom was cramped. The location is good, at the end of the main area, and convenient for getting around. They did offer a breakfast. Since we came after a recent rain, the parking lot was rather muddy. This is truely a mom & pop establishment- not run by a large chain. Given that, the effort was appreciated.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family