“"Service is not included"... literally!”
Review of Restaurante Bahia

Restaurante Bahia
Ranked #10 of 66 Restaurants in Cienfuegos
Price range: US$3 - US$6
Cuisines: Cuban, International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 7 February 2018

This was easily the most disappointing meal and mealtime I had in almost two and a half weeks in Cuba. And considering one of my attempts at lunch elsewhere was interrupted by me suffering with mild heat-stroke and / or a bug (through no fault of the restaurant in question), almost passing out and then throwing up the entire contents of my stomach into their toilet, that is really saying something.

We were recommended this place by the owners of the casa we were staying in and from what they said, any other guests who have dined here have had a good time. Indeed, the couple who were leaving as we were going in also commented to us on what good a meal they had had, so maybe we were just unfortunate.

We arrived without a reservation, but as they didn't appear to be busy and as there were only two of us, we were still seated after a brief wait. The staff looked thoroughly disinterested, however, and in hindsight, I wish they hadn't bothered.

The menu seemed to have a good selection of dishes, although I can't actually remember what I had now, as I've clearly wiped much of the experience from my memory.

What I do remember is that it took us almost 15 minutes to get our drinks (a bottled beer and a canned soft drink), despite being seated no more than 10 feet from the bar and there being at least 6 staff working. Checking their mobile phone and groping other members of staff were clearly more pressing concerns.

It is clearly popular with locals, as a couple of groups arrived in the hope of being seated, but without sucess. However, a couple of large tables were empty by the door
when we arrived and were still vacant when we left, so were presumably for reservations. I hope for their sake they didn't bother turning up.

My main, when it turned up, was bland. I can't remember anything else about it. The only reason the review isn't lower is because my girlfriend did at least enjoy her main.

When it came to time to leave, the bill (like the drinks and the food) took a long time to appear, but when it did, it was accompanied by the helpful instruction "service is not included".

If only I'd been told this upon entering, then I wouldn't have been quite so disappointed. Still, it did at least raise a slight smile as I knew in that instant what the title of this review would be! :)

I'm not one for leaving crap reviews, and am pretty sure this is my lowest yet, and whilst I alone would have given it 1, my girlfriend's culinary experience scraped it up to a 2.

Eat elsewhere would be my personal suggestion... but it is clear that not everyone would agree with me, so if you do eat there, I hope you have nothing like the experience I did.

1  Thank WWEGuy

Reviewed 4 January 2018

We were there for dinner on Christmas Eve, so it was very crowded and the service was terribly slow (actually, in Cuba, most of the restaurants give rather "slow" service). My husband had fish, which was not particularly interesting but good. As the only vegetarian possibility, I had the spaghetti. They gave an enormous portion (like the whole box!), with a passable sauce. Unfortunately, they had no flan, the most popular Cuban dessert.

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

A group of us had booked to eat here and were pleased to have done so. Although busy, we were well looked after by attentive staff and enjoyed beer as well as a variety of dishes. The atmosphere was also good.

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

I had the grilled fish which was on the salty side. Nevertheless, food was pretty good compared to the other restaurants I’ve tried. Service however is extremely slow...... we waited for almost 45 minutes for them to take our orders?!?! When we ordered red wine, the attitude of the staff was extremely bad and tone was impatient. My suggestion is to eat here only if you have all the time in the world for a long (at least) 2 hours dinner.. I just ordered a main dish and that’s how long it takes so do the math...!

1  Thank YN27
Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

Wonderful Restaurant, delicious food great service. Maravilloso lugar la comida deliciosa y un gran servicio. My grill fish with shrimps on top covered with melted cheese was very nice an fresh RICO RICO