“Great Anniversary Dinner!”
Review of Spago

Spago
Ranked #16 of 50 Restaurants in Wailea
Price range: US$35 - US$50
Good for: Romantic, View, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Four Seasons Hotel
Transit: Shops of Wailea
Reviewed 31 May 2017 via mobile

Had a truly memorable meal at Spago Maui. My wife and I were in Hawaii on a vacation that coincided close enough to our two year anniversary, and I decided this was the spot to have our celebratory dinner. Spago is a name I'd heard before (and Wolfgang Puck of course) and it lives up to the hype here.

First, the setting: a lovely outdoor patio with views over the water and Wailea beach. Tip: reserve around 6 and show up early to get a table overlooking the ocean at sundown. Sun sets early in Hawaii! And it is so worth it to fine early if it means watching the sunset as you sip a brilliantly creative cocktail.

For drinks: Wife had a spicy jalapeño infused rum drink. I opted for their take on a classic old fashioned - both were done so well. Hats off to the bartender. Wine selection is incredible but frankly overpriced... the cocktails less so.

The apps are really mains by any other name. We shared a playful Japanese style waygu (?) fish course that combined some great flavors of sesame and chili. Didn't want it to end!

I had the classic ahi tuna entree, which was done to perfection. Wasabi mashed potatoes ideally complemented the perfectly cooked fish, glazed with a ginger reduction. My wife had a more innovative indian-style Mahi Mahi dish which was really good. Chutney on top of mahi mahi left me skeptical at first glance but.... I had several bites. Can't explain it - it just worked.

For dessert they have a lot of local flavor. We opted for a banana ice cream baked in chocolate, which was unique and delicious. They were nice enough to write Happy Anniversary at the top which was of course a lovely touch.

Which brings me to service. The make or break of any five star, $$$$ meal. I have had experiences that left a lot to be desired, delicious food notwithstanding. This was not one of them. The waiter and assistant staff were courteous and professional, not rushing us, but attentive. At one point I looked around for our waiter and had hardly turned around before one appeared - not ours, mind you, but able to see I was looking about for some assistance. That's so key when you're at a nice place. And so rare.

Can't say enough good things, in sum. While the price tag is high (four drinks, app, two mains, dessert, and two cappuccinos ran us $300 with tip), for a special occasion meal this was a smashing success. Thank you, Spago!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,222)

Reviewed 25 May 2017

This could be the best dining experience on Maui. Although my sister who lives on Maui says Mama's Fish House is the best, and Spago a close second. I didn't get to Mama's last trip, so I reserve judgement on the best. But Spago is an amazing experience. All that comes with Michelin style service is embodied here, along with the fare. The location is amazing, we saw a whale from our table in the open walled room. Also caught the sunset. All the food, as was expected is world class. No need to go in to what was eaten, as anything you order will be a delightful experience. Is it expensive, Yes, just as all restaurants at this level. Is it worth it? Yes, people spend as much for two, going to an NHL game in my city, to see a team out for a skate dropping the game 5 to 1, and being charged as much for alcoholic beverages as Spago charges. I took in a few games this season. And my experience at Spago is more ingrained than any of those games, as a matter fact, I can't remember any of them. I guess I need a season ticket to catch a few memorable games. If I had a choice of 40 home NHL games, or 40 dinners at Spago in a season, I'd have Spago on speed dial.

Reviewed 24 May 2017

The only redeeming quality of this location was the view. It is located inside the 4 Seasons. We sat outside just before sunset and it was so beautiful. Otherwise, our meal here was awful. We were with a very large group that took up the entire restaurant so it is possible that they just couldn't handle us (which they shouldn't have booked the group if this was the case). There were appetizers that were supposed to be circulated but our table never received any. Our courses took about 30 minutes to a hour to arrive (dinner did not come until after 8pm and we arrive at 6pm). In total it was over a 3 hour meal. The coconut soup I had was good. Aside from that, the steak was inedible. Our table all ordered the steak and 1 person ordered fish. Of all 8 of us, 1 person ate their meal. The fish was overcooked and the steak was so tough you could hardly cut it. The wine was flowing heavily but it certainly didn't make up for the timing problems and lack of food. We came back to our hotel and ordered room service. It was very disappointing as Spago is well known and we were looking forward to this meal. Let down in every way!

Reviewed 23 May 2017

Great food, terrific service and amazing views! Would absolutely return! Get the cones for appetizer!

Reviewed 18 May 2017

I always wanted to go to Spago and when I saw they had one in Maui, I had to book dinner here. Spago is located in the Four Seasons Hotel, which is absolutely gorgeous. We came a little early so we could have drinks at the lobby bar and enough the ambiance before dinner.

The food was fantastic. I had the pork chops, I wish there had been more pineapple with my pork chop, it being Hawaii, but overall, fantastic flavors and large portions. I would not eat everything because I had to save room for dessert -- I got the souffle.

I deducted a 1 star for service because the girl refilling water glasses skipped our table. She stopped and refilled glasses at all the other tables except ours. Not sure if she skipped us because she was absent minded or because we were the only gay couple in the section. Whatever. Our waiter was fantastic, we waved him down and he got us more water -- had to say hydrated, couldn't just drink alcohol all night.

Been to Spago? Share your experiences!