“Saved by the Barmaid”
Review of Whaler's Tavern

Whaler's Tavern
Ranked #17 of 262 Restaurants in New Bedford
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Description: The Quahog Republic Whalers Tavern is located in the heart of the whaling district of historic New Bedford. We transformed this 1790's building to give a feel of a historic whaling tavern. Both a nautical and period feel. Very relaxed and great place to unwind after or during a long day. We have one 50 inch television, though it is not always on. We would rather people enjoy each others company as a tavern feel should provide. We offer 14 drafts, craft cocktails, over 20 rums from around the world, house spiced rum, cask aged mai tai's, and a good wine selection. We are known for our chowder, monster lobster roll, stuffed quahog, and crunch cod fish and chips, but we offer much more that that including weekly specials. Live-Give-Relax
Reviewed 19 May 2018

I ended up in the Whalers Tavern by getting locked into the Whaling Museum across the street. It is worth noting that one should pay attention when being told the closing times and other relevant details upon entering such places. For your future reference, it is 5pm, not 5:30pm. This oversight led me to being on a outside balcony of the third floor of the museum when the doors auto-locked, I guess? Funny at first I thought, as I Face timed a mate in Australia thinking that any moment some other patron would walk through that area and release me. After some time it was apparent that this was not going to happen. Then I moved onto calling the museum through the most convoluted and irritating prompt system ever invented, always to the same answer "not available at this time, please leave a message".
I didn't want to call the police just, yet so climbed up a bit to see what I could see. It was the Whalers Tavern. Thank god for Google, I got the number and called. I explained to the lovely young lady that it wasn't a practical joke and that I was indeed locked in (but outside) of the museum across the street. She came out onto the street to verify and I for one, had a deeply moving moment when we saw each other. Not only my potential rescuer, but easily the cutest girl in New Bedford. So of course after release and explanation to the local authorities, it was off the tavern to pay my fair maiden liquid thanks. You cant (or maybe you can) imagine my disappointment upon entering and finding a great little pub, with a friendly vibe, older style decor and previously mentioned loveliness, but on my very last night in town!!
The local brewed IPA was fresh and tasty. I had a light meal of Caesar Salad with grilled chicken that was done well. I would have liked to have wandered in days earlier and tried other items from the menu as it read well but it wasn't to be. So I recommend you try it on my behalf, but not go through what I did to get there. I didn't catch her name but if she reads this, she'll know who she is, so thank you.

1  Thank Terry N

Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

Went on a recommendation by the staff of the whaling museum. The quahog chowder was exquisite. The liitle necks with linguine featuring Portuguese chourico sausage was just outstanding, spicy but so flavorful. Oh, and the oysters with mignonette sauce were wonderful. Never had this sauce before. Moderately priced, just a great experience. Server, sorry can't remember her name, was so helpful and knowledgeable about the ingredients and preparation of the dishes.

Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

We stopped in for a late lunch and enjoyed the 2 for 1 raw bar special from 3:00-5:00 Monday-Friday. Excellent food, service and atmosphere-wish we lived closer!

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

The Whaler’s Tavern is small and cozy. I We took our children there and they thoroughly enjoyed their meals. It is more of a bar than restaurant so it is best to go early. The food was very good and the prices reasonable. I would definitely go with friends for a few drinks and no children.

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Stopped in before an event at the Z. Decor and atmosphere is probably closest to a whaling era pub. She had the fish sandwich and I had the fish and chips, both were delicious. Food served timely. Good beer selection. Server, Suzy, was great. Place is small however and on a Friday night it was packed.