Kalango Hotel Boutique(Ilhabela)(Great Value!)
US$61
US$97
US$95
US$121
  • Breakfast included
Pousada Vila Sao Pedro - Ilhabela(Ilhabela)(Great Value!)
US$61
Hostel da Vila(Ilhabela)(Great Value!)
US$46
US$21
Hostelworld.com
  • Breakfast included
US$254
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 November 2016 via mobile

We visited here in early November.

We had hiked to the Bonete beach (I have reviewed this too) and we weren't expecting to be able get a decent meal. We were wrong!

We stumbled into this place and the food was fab. There was lots to choose from and it was very fresh. The price was good too.

The only downside was the mosquitoes. I got bitten a few times!

I'd definitely eat here again if I went back to Bonete.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2016

Have never stayed anywhere with this sort of beauty. From the stunning beach and sea to the beautiful rainforest, mountains and waterfalls, the exquisite food and last but by no means least the locals that have become friends, this really is an incredible place.

I will certainly be back and one day would love something more permanent there, it really was that special.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 March 2016

This is a simple hotel in front of the beach. Rooms are really basic, with random electricity. There is a mosquito net (needed). You light a candle in the bathroom.
We had a deluxe room (with 2 separate bedrooms, good for 4), on the second floor, with a small balcony and 2 hammocks. You don't get the noise from other people, but the power generator of the community goes live early in the morning (it is noisy).
You don't lock rooms, you leave everything in your room, and it seems fine.
This is a very relaxed atmosphere as I experienced during post hippie times in Bali or Nepal.
Hence, nothing fancy (don't expect a 5 star hotel - not even one) BUT you are at the edge of paradise, and the pousada is perfect match with the environment. You go there to forget your life and everything else.
This is why I give 5. Not because of the lodging quality, but because this is exactly the type of place I like away from it all. Needless to say that staff is at the unison: cool and very friendly.
You can book on the internet, they respond fast. But they'll want your credit card details, including the security code. I never provide the latter by mail for security reasons. Hence, my reservation was not secure (not a problem, there were few others). If you don't mind providing the security code, it will be OK. I suggested them to set up PayPal, which they may do. You can pay the whole bill with a credit card.

Breakfast is excellent, with juices, fruits, cakes etc.
The food in the restaurant is also very good, like the fish in coconut sauce. The prices are reasonable, considering the fact that you are far from everything.
They have special local dishes (whole fish) you need to order well ahead of time (we ordered in the morning for lunch). We had a fantastic whole sea bass cooked to perfection in banana leaves. It easily feeds 3/4 people. Of course, fish is the catch of the day by local fishermen.
There are many other pousadas and "restaurants" in the village, but we did not try them.

In February, during the week, there were 2 other couples in the pousada. Hence, you have the place and the beach for yourself. Some (brazilians) may come for the day (with a boat), and there may be more people during week ends.

BUGS.
There are bugs. The mosquito net is necessary. You'll notice on arrival that local people wear soccer long socks (to their knee). This seems to prevent attacks from the nasty ones, which are especially active in the morning. But be SURE to cover yourself with repellent. It is the next day that it gets bad in terms of itching.

You really want to have news of the world?
There is no phone signal, but there is free internet in front of the school (no code - but slooow and unreliable). It is on the main street, behind the pousada, and there are benches in front of it for local people to sit and connect!

What to do?
The water was calm when we were there. But I understand that there can be waves for surfing.
You can rent kayaks from the pousada to go around the bay.
I strongly recommend going to the view point (in particular at sun rise). Go the end of the village where the fishermen boats are, and follow the signs. It is a 45 min walk to the view points (views on both sides). You'll discover the next coves (great views, especially with blooming cactus on the rocks).
There is a trail to the following beaches (even less people!)
There is a waterfall on the way to the next beaches/view points.

We did not stay long enough.
I'll be back for sure, to stay a week, so nice it is there. Cut off from everything, in a Paradise place. This is a primitive place, but if you don't mind that, you'll fall in love instantly.
The trip back by boat can be arranged from the pousada with one of the local fishermen.

How to go there?
Please refer to my review of Bonete beach. There are a couple of things to know about where start from, to land, etc. Walking there was a very nice experience.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank icbernard
Reviewed 26 November 2015

After reading all the positive reviews and checking out the website, we decided to stay here for a week. We took the boat to the Inn, everything was arranged ahead of time, no issue.
Once we arrived at the Inn, it was a very relaxed atmosphere, we didn't receive any overview of the place, things to do like advertised on the website.
The beach is beautiful, clean, not crowded and if you like to surf, this is the place to be.
There are nice hiking tails, beautiful waterfalls, very friendly people and safe to walk around.

The downside is, LOTS of mosquitos! In 3 days we used 1 can of OFF and got bite head to toe. The room we stayed in had a mosquito net however, it got holes all over. The Inn is very basic, almost off grid, because of the mosquitos we had to close all the windows and doors so it got very muggy as there was no fan or any type of ventilation. For the type of accommodation, it's a bit overpriced.

Next the food, vegetarian options are not great and 1/2 of the items on the menu were not available.

To summarize, I think it's worth checking out the beach but stay somewhere else on the island with better accommodations and take a boat in or hike in for the day. I would not recommend staying at this place. We end up leaving 2 nights earlier as the mosquitos were just too much.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nadia C
Reviewed 19 June 2015

Unlike any accommodation I have ever known, Pousada Canto Bravo is a hidden gem in every sense of the word. This is the place to come if you want to hide from the world and enjoy private paradise! Spend the extra for an upper loft to ensure cooler nights!

Stayed: February 2015