23 Wigmore Crescent is a private house which the hosts live in. They rent out two bedrooms at the rear which are en suite with a shared galley area for making coffee. In all of the other genuinely luxury properties I have stayed in there is a clear separation between the hosts living space and the guests. With this property there is no dedicated exclusive space for guests other than the bedroom, the area in the photographs is part of an open plan area which backs on to the hosts kitchen.
I had intended to stay here for seven days, having been advised by another host, the Hahei Beachfront Property were apartments but given the reality - staying in someones home checked out after two and moved into more suitable discrete bespoke accommodation. I have been refunded in full by my booking agents Dial A Flight, even though they are not directly responsible, which speaks volumes for their generosity of spirit.
The other key points I would ask future travellers to consider are :-
1) It is either a 35 minute drive with a one minute expensive ferry ride or 45 minute drive to Whitianga, otherwise you eat at Church's in the evening which is limiting.
2) You cannot do any laundry whilst visiting in the summer months because the owners have to buy in their water and they do not feel the $400 dollar a night charge covers the cost of water for one load of washing.
3) There is a public pathway to the beach next to the house on the right handside and a ferry business set up directly in front of the property so not quite the breath taking serene experience that you would achieve by walking on the Matarangi or Otama Beaches further North.
The hosts are perfectly amicable and hospitable but you are constantly reminded you are inside the working part of someones house. Raewyn mentioned that she has found it difficult in the past if guests stay in in the evenings whilst they take their evening meals.
To sleep at 23 Wigmore Crescent for a couple of nights to explore this particular part of the Coromandel (Hot Pools and Cathedral Cove) might make sense but for several days of discrete relaxation no.
My thanks to Raewyn who provided the documentary evidence that she had questioned the length of my stay and confirmed it was not self catering to Kira, the N Z ground agents, which Dial A Flight have no record of receiving.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hahei Oceanfront is luxury hosted accommodation, located between two of the Coromandel Peninsula’s top natural attractions, the world-renowned Cathedral Cove and Hot Water Beach. Situated on the dune just above the beach, Hahei Oceanfront is the ultimate in luxury accommodation, with superb ocean views of the Pacific. Built in late 2004, the house is designed to comfortably accommodate your hosts Raewyn and Joe, and to offer boutique luxury accommodation to the world’s most discerning travelers. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Hahei Oceanfront Hotel Hahei