“Stay away! It needs a lot of work.”
Review of Quality Inn Uptown

Quality Inn Uptown
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Port Angeles
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I don't know quite where to start with this one. For one thing, it's expensive, although all hotels in this area are. We booked a room with a mountain view, which meant we stayed in the "high-rise" across the street. It's a three-story building across the street with covered parking, no elevators, and exterior hallways. The rooms have very large picture windows that give an above-average view of the mountains and an okay view of the harbor. We were on the top floor. When we were there, the weather was unseasonably warm (85 degrees out- August 4, check the Weather Channel archives). Because the sun shines onto (at different parts of the day) the bathroom wall, the black roof, and the dark carpet through the windows, the room was at least five degrees hotter than it was outside. We got there late, and the room felt above 90 degrees! All of the windows were already open, and there was a tiny swiveling fan on the floor. That was it. When the weather in the area is going to be this warm, even if it is a bit cooler other days, the rooms have to have AC. We normally like the house pretty warm (78 or so), but this room was nearly insufferable. The only place in this complex with AC is the lobby.

Their mentality of avoiding upgrades extends to other facets of the hotel as well. The toilet and tub were a very dated shade of pink. I don't care about the color itself, but it speaks to how old the fixtures are. The toilet seat was rusty and peeling, and the tub floor's anti-slip coating had long since worn off, making it treacherous. I found several long strands of hair in the tub. The solid surface countertop was severely cracked in the sink and around the edges. The light fixtures had flecks of rust. The curtains were dirty and stained, and they hung two inches above large, permanent space heaters (fire hazard). The TV was old and the artwork above the beds was laughably hideous and dated.

On the plus side, the desk staff was very friendly, the beds were average, and the cookies were a nice touch. Breakfast was okay, but crowded. The one breakfast employee would dart around and push between the guests in line to do minor things like stirring the gravy and ruffling the condiments.

Especially for the price, I just can't recommend this hotel. They seem to have touched the lobby and the beds, but not much else. If you're staying in the summer, check one of the newer motels near it. Most others at least seem to have air conditioning, and I'd say that if the outside temperature is supposed to be 72 degrees or above, a hotel is obligated to provide air conditioning, especially if its rooms don't have good airflow.

I don't want to be mean, but this was the worst motel (and one of the top 3 most expensive) on my trip, which included 13 hotels.

Room Tip: There are 15 other hotels in the area. Go there!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Johann8431
QIPA, General Manager at Quality Inn Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

I appreciate you posting your review of our hotel on tripadvisor. It is a dissapointment to hear you did not enjoy your visit with us. Please accept my apology. It appears you stayed with us during one of the warmest days in our area. Our hotel and many Port Angeles hotels do not have A|C as it is generally not neccessary in our area.Our hotel is not a new hotel as you mentioned however, our staff maintains it well. It is unfortunate your toilet seat was worn, and in need of replacement. Rest assured my Maintenance staff has replaced this. I agree hair should not be present in any area of the room and this issue as well has been addressed.
I am pleased to hear you found our staff friendly, our cookies nice, and our Breakfast acceptable during your stay.
Our goal is always to provide dependable service to each of our guests at a reasonable price
Liz Conad & Quality Inn Uptown staff.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

I liked my stay at the Quality in. I stayed at the Red Lion and prefer this hotel much more. While the breakfast is ok the rooms were large and the hotel is in a great location where you can walk to anywhere in Port Angeles.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MartinPallotta
QIPA, General Manager at Quality Inn Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

I appreciate you taking the time to place your review on Tripadvisor. Thank you! I enjoyed hearing you enjoyed your stay. Breakfast is an area we are always looking to improve and I welcome your feedback, more improvements to come. Our location is a true asset. We are near downtown, many restaurants, shopping, the ferry to Victoria, and the entrance to Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Park. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Liz Conrad - General Manager and QIPA staff

Reviewed 25 July 2012

We arrived very late at night with 4 teenagers in tow. We were treated very kindly by the gentleman at the desk on night shift. Our room was clean, quiet and comfortable. It is an older hotel but it is well kept. Breakfast was acceptable but not great for the price of the room - especially when compared to the other places we stayed on our long road trip.

1  Thank Tiki L
QIPA, General Manager at Quality Inn Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on tripadvisor. Your comments help us grow and improve our guest service.I am very pleased to hear our Guest Service Agent on desk at your arrival took good care of you. This has been noted and acknowledged with the Guest Service Agent who checked you in. I appreciate your opinion. I believe our complimentary breakfast is the best complimentary breakfast Port Angeles hotels offers. I welcome all guest suggestions as a way we can improve our service. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly with any suggestions for improvement you may have.Thank you for choosing to stay at the Quality Inn Uptown Port Angeles. We hope to Welcome you back in the future!

Liz Conrad - General Manager &Staff- Quality Inn Uptown

Reviewed 15 July 2012

I went to Port Angeles with my mother and my two granddaughters. The staff was friendly and warm, often going out of their way to make the stay more pleasant. Brian and Kimberly, were especially warm, friendly and helpful.

1  Thank Claudia J
QIPA, General Manager at Quality Inn Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2012

Your kind words about our staff and hotel brought smiles throughout our hotel this Sunny Monday morning. Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. Your review will be shared with all employees. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit with us. We welcome your future visits to Port Angeles.
Liz Conrad and Quality Inn Uptown staff

Reviewed 23 June 2012

I don't know who is giving this place good reviews...there are NO updated rooms. The breakfast was terrible. Watered down OJ and sour waffles all for over $100 a night? Read the tourbooks and stay at a B&B...not here.

2  Thank Northfield
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Please accept my apology for the experience you had at my hotel.I appreciate you taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I recall there was a concern over our waffle batter last week by a guest. We use a malted waffle batter which is made daily . This is a product similar to the Krustez mix you may use at home. The Breakfast Attendant pulled the batter and checked the product after you stated your concern. The Breakfast Attendant made a Waffle and tested the waffle and could not detect anything of concern. Our orange juice is dispensed by a juice machine, we also checked our machine and found it to be working properly. I want you to know we care about our hotel and the quality of the products we use. Please be assured the issues you've raised have been addressed and your willingness to share your concerns will help us improve what we offer to our guests.
Thank you, Liz Conrad - General Manager

3.1 km away
Super 8 Port Angeles
Super 8 Port Angeles
#2 of 16 in Port Angeles

Been to Quality Inn Uptown? Share your experiences!