“A Winning Combination of Service and Food”
Review of ZY Food Wine and Cheese - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Gallivan
Description: Phone: (801) 779-4730
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Lunch at ZY is delicious and a wonderful menu. The restaurant is clean, fashionable, and high quality. The service is excellent with very knowledgeable wait staff. We liked Jed's suggestions.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

I nicked the rating for value, and because the Duck was great bit I have had much better.

That said, I loved the service, the atmosphere, the dessert, and the Duck was ok. The Duck was $28 with nothing but the Duck. No salad, side veggie, or anything else. At that price, you better be up there with the best. It fell short, even though it is good Duck.

The wine was $9 and also lacked value for the quality.

I think another dish could have certainly earned a 5 star, though.

You still cannot go wrong unless you are looking for price commensurate with overall quality.

1  Thank John L
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Stopped in here because we were turned away at Copper Onion (very busy). Nice selection of wines, excellent service and the food - to die for!
Two of our party had the Mac and Cheese - but this was special with three kinds of cheese, a New England sharp cheddar, a local, and Parmigniano Reggiano, along with a locally cured ham. Rich, decadent and oh-so-good.
I had braised pork shoulder, which was glazed with a balsmic/pecan recuction, served atop some bitter greens, with mushrooms.
HUGE portions (two or three could easily split the Mac and Cheese, and the pork could have been a meal for two with no sacrifice).
But wait, there's more - an 'upside down' goat cheese cheesecake with caramel sauce and struesel topping. The cheesecake was not really a cake, so much as it was a whipped, decadent mound of deliciousness. Not overly sweet, the tang of the goat cheese kept it all nicely just this side of that.
We'll be back!

1  Thank DebMacD
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I am usually a very low-key eater, nothing too fancy. On a recent business trip someone suggested Zy, and upon arriving at this fine establishment I definitely had my doubts that the food would be too fancy/exquisite for my tastes. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable and didn't seem to have an arrogant air about him, as many do at these types of places, and we ordered cheese tray with a bottle of wine. The assorted cheese was by far the best I have ever had, hands down, and I eat a lot cheese. I ordered the white macaroni and cheese (it had a few different blends of cheeses, peas, and some other vegetables in is) and it was DELICIOUS! The entire dining experience was perfection. I found Salt Lake to very cold and a little boring, but I am borderline ready to go back just to go to Zy. Great dining, beautiful atmosphere, AMAZING food.

Reviewed 16 December 2012

Friends recommended Zy's. We had an early reservation, so the restaurant was not busy when we arrived but filled up between 7:30 and 8. This was a Saturday night, so reservations seem advised. Robert, our server, was the most knowledgeable server we have had in a long time and did a wonderful job of capturing the highlights of every dish while also giving a spot on description of what made it shine, and in a couple of cases why something else might be what someone in the party was looking for. And mostly not the most expensive dishes. The menu is starters, entrees and cheese options (which we might have tried but one member of the party does not do cheese; looked inviting). We had the buttermilk fried oysters and tempura wild mushrooms as starters, and both were excellent. The oysters were small. The coating was very crispy and they were wonderfully succulent on the interior. The mushrooms were very well done and had an excellent plating sauce. Entrees included an outstanding deboned duck leg and thigh, roasted chicken, and I had a brined pork shoulder that was roasted and finished with a veal demi glace. The most interesting dish was the mahi mahi my wife ordered, which had a deconstructed sauce that included concentrated soy "spots" and garlic powder that turned to a rich cream when mixed with the other ingredients. Very interesting dish and excellent flavors as well as interesting presentation. A limited dessert menu, including a very interesting goat cheese upside down cheese cake with fresh pears. Again, a winner. I had the small chocolate souffle, which had some similarity to a lava cake with a very creamy interior, and our friends had the orange cake with an interesting sauce that is definitely worth trying again (one taste did not do it for me). The wine list is limited, probably about 30 choices, but a good range of prices and a nice selection. We were happy with what we got, and the prices were good by Utah standards.